Distracted Driving and The Nanny State

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Re: Distracted Driving and The Nanny State

Post by M-Quigley »

machinegunkelly wrote:Also don't forget to look out for how many miscreants drive the rain with their wipers on, but not their headlights.
The wife and I play the old VW slug bug game with it. I've noticed a lot of Leo's that run that way.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that it's a good idea for self preservation, like motorcycle helmets, but don't make it a law.
MGK
In Ohio headlights on with wipers has allegedly been a law since 09, although allegedly a secondary violation.

http://blog.cleveland.com/brunswicksunt ... ivers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Seat belts laws were also sold to the public as secondary violations, now there are ad campaigns and straight up threats of seeing people with night vision and zero tolerance.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

schmieg wrote:
WestonDon wrote:I blacked out the sensor on my truck. Headlights are on when the engine is running. Works for me. I tried doing the same thing to the wife's Fusion. didn't work out. The problem there is that with the headlights on the instrument cluster gets dimmer and can't be seen in bright sunlight.
I thought most of the newer cars that lacked a sensor to adjust the panel lights had a setting on the dimmer switch to brighten them to daylight mode.
Maybe it does. I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the tip.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

machinegunkelly wrote:Also don't forget to look out for how many miscreants drive the rain with their wipers on, but not their headlights.
The wife and I play the old VW slug bug game with it. I've noticed a lot of Leo's that run that way.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that it's a good idea for self preservation, like motorcycle helmets, but don't make it a law.
MGK
Some folks no lights at all, some other folks have decided daytime running lights meet the requirements of the law.

Don't even get me started on the morons who pull to the left side to get their mail, or use the left lane as a turn lane to turn left on a 2 lane road.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

What about the dude on the street corner twirling the sign to get me to do my taxes there, or buy a pizza?
He's distracting me, mommy!
What about the flashing OPEN sign in that business? It distracted me!
If I honk, and you look, weren't you distracted?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

And those new 277,128KW LED billboards. Can see them literally a mile away driving at night. Up high at traditional billboard heighth, not so bad. But a lot of stores are putting them out at ...eye level as their main sign.

"I wear my sunglasses at night, so I can so I can...''
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good