Distracted Driving and The Nanny State

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Distracted Driving and The Nanny State

Post by bignflnut »

This month, the Florida legislature will vote on a bill filed in the Senate destined to make many wish they were still just nekkid in the woods — the proposed law will ban petting your dog while driving.

Yes — it’s that stupid.

SNIP

Republican Jackie Toledo explained the importance of the law to The Tampa Bay Times:

“The focus of this bill is to save lives and get people’s behavior to change. While you’re driving, you should be focused on driving.”

SNIP

More on the proposal, courtesy of the Miami Herald:

Florida lawmakers’ bill defines “driving while distracted” as being inattentive at the wheel and lists a smorgasbord of activities that run afoul of the proposal, including but not limited to “reading, writing, performing personal grooming, applying a beauty aid or similar products, interacting with pets or unsecured cargo [and] using a personal wireless communications device.”
Reading signs count as "reading"?

The State says that you're living inappropriately, and it will coerce you into living properly. This is not Liberty.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Distracted Driving and The Nanny State

Post by Javelin Man »

Will illegal aliens be required to follow the same rules?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

What about interacting with kids in the back seat? And yes, my department gets a decent amount of crashes a year where interacting with kids was the cause.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Distracted driving is a problem, but this bill is grossly vague in its definitions.
Inattentive or distracted driving conduct includes ... performing personal grooming,
So if I run my fingers through my hair a few times am I scratching my head or am I performing personal grooming? If an officer cites me for it, who's word is the judge going to go by?
... interacting with pets or unsecured cargo
'Interacting' is awfully vague. If I pet the dog, that's technically interacting with it. Is doing that - by itself - more distracting than changing the radio station or adjusting the temperature?
engaging in any other activity, conduct, task, or action that causes distraction
Well that's not vague at all.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Thou Shalt have Laser Like Focus on Driving, Lest Driving be Dangerous!
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

Cue dozens of photos of FL legislators driving distracted in 5..4..3..2...
Face

Post by Face »

Ohio's distracted law is as stupid... or worse.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I'm no cop, but to the LEOs in the crowd, doesn't this kind of thing border on unenforceable?
Is it simply LEOs word against driver in court?

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

You know, come to think of it. I've seen lots less LEOs on their cell phones driving, lately.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

radios going off all the time
A laptop at the right hand...
Scanners constantly picking up license plates
Not to mention trying to fleece people for speeding/click it or ticket enforcement....

How dare anyone think that the thin blue line is anything but fully equipped for every good work (including driving with a laser like focus)! They're trained by the State, don'tchaknow?

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

I believe the term you are looking for is hypocrisy not unenforceable.
bignflnut wrote:I'm no cop, but to the LEOs in the crowd, doesn't this kind of thing border on unenforceable?
Is it simply LEOs word against driver in court?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
machinegunkelly

Post by machinegunkelly »

Also don't forget to look out for how many miscreants drive the rain with their wipers on, but not their headlights.
The wife and I play the old VW slug bug game with it. I've noticed a lot of Leo's that run that way.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that it's a good idea for self preservation, like motorcycle helmets, but don't make it a law.
MGK
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

machinegunkelly wrote:Also don't forget to look out for how many miscreants drive the rain with their wipers on, but not their headlights.
The wife and I play the old VW slug bug game with it. I've noticed a lot of Leo's that run that way.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that it's a good idea for self preservation, like motorcycle helmets, but don't make it a law.
MGK
I really like that my Jeep turns the headlights on when the wipers start their automatic swiping more than four times in a minute.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I blacked out the sensor on my truck. Headlights are on when the engine is running. Works for me. I tried doing the same thing to the wife's Fusion. didn't work out. The problem there is that with the headlights on the instrument cluster gets dimmer and can't be seen in bright sunlight.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

WestonDon wrote:I blacked out the sensor on my truck. Headlights are on when the engine is running. Works for me. I tried doing the same thing to the wife's Fusion. didn't work out. The problem there is that with the headlights on the instrument cluster gets dimmer and can't be seen in bright sunlight.
I thought most of the newer cars that lacked a sensor to adjust the panel lights had a setting on the dimmer switch to brighten them to daylight mode.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand