Support for Medicare for all varies depending on who pays

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Support for Medicare for all varies depending on who pays

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/national-govt ... YRZqah9pJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Medicare for all is expected to be a major issue for the Democrats in the 2020 elections.
WASHINGTON — "Medicare-for-all" makes a good first impression, but support plunges when people are asked if they'd pay higher taxes or put up with treatment delays to get it.

The survey, released Wednesday by the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation, comes as Democratic presidential hopefuls embrace the idea of a government-run health care system, considered outside the mainstream of their party until Vermont independent Sen. Bernie Sanders made it the cornerstone of his 2016 campaign. President Donald Trump is opposed, saying "Medicare-for-all" would "eviscerate" the current program for seniors.

The poll found that Americans initially support "Medicare-for-all," 56 percent to 42 percent.

However, those numbers shifted dramatically when people were asked about the potential impact, pro and con.

Support increased when people learned "Medicare-for-all" would guarantee health insurance as a right (71 percent) and eliminate premiums and reduce out-of-pocket costs (67 percent).

But if they were told that a government-run system could lead to delays in getting care or higher taxes, support plunged to 26 percent and 37 percent, respectively.
Summary: people in general support getting stuff or services they think is free, unless and until they are told they are going to have to pay for it :roll:
Bruenor

Re: Support for Medicare for all varies depending on who pay

Post by Bruenor »

My dad taught me TANSTAFL when I was just a little tyke.. I've never been able to disprove the concept, and always look at how something is to be funded when I'm tolds it's 'free'.

I've also learned that when the (D) party says it will save everyone money, anyone that works and collects a paycheck is part of the group that is actually paying for it, for everyone else, through higher taxes. i.e.. the ACA

The medicaid expansion that was part of the ACA was a suckers play. the feds gave the states 100% funding for a limited time to cover the expansion then the states were left to figure out how to pay for that expansion on their own as the federal funding for the program decreases over time.
http://www.governing.com/topics/health- ... tates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the D's want Medicare for all, then ALL of our elected representatives need to be on the program too. no cushy health/retirement plans for them.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I've never understood why anyone would support Medicare for all. One simply needs to look at it, and not that in depth, and find out it is the worst insurance in the world. Sure, basic care is covered, and emergency services are covered (aka broken hip, broken arm, hernia, etc) but if you have any medical diagnosis....then get ready for some penny pincher to tell you how to treat yourself, and one worse than one of the big insurance companies.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Oh Canada, Oh Canada (he sings)
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I've never understood why anyone would support Medicare for all. One simply needs to look at it, and not that in depth, and find out it is the worst insurance in the world. Sure, basic care is covered, and emergency services are covered (aka broken hip, broken arm, hernia, etc) but if you have any medical diagnosis....then get ready for some penny pincher to tell you how to treat yourself, and one worse than one of the big insurance companies.
The only way to get along with Medicare is to have supplemental insurance. By the time you're done paying for Parts B & D and the supplement, you're paying almost what we used to pay, pre-Obamacare, for a private policy. Of course, you can go the Medicare Advantage route which entails little or no monthly cost above Part B and may offer some nice extra bennies like gym membership, dental and/or vision, but then you are locked into a closed plan and may have limited access to doctors and hospitals, not to mention the problems involved with travel. My financial advisor snarkily said with the Supplement you pay now and with the Advantage, you pay when you really get sick.

I miss my old Humana plan which no longer exists and which, thanks to Obamacare, I probably couldn't afford anymore if it did.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

schmieg wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:I've never understood why anyone would support Medicare for all. One simply needs to look at it, and not that in depth, and find out it is the worst insurance in the world. Sure, basic care is covered, and emergency services are covered (aka broken hip, broken arm, hernia, etc) but if you have any medical diagnosis....then get ready for some penny pincher to tell you how to treat yourself, and one worse than one of the big insurance companies.
The only way to get along with Medicare is to have supplemental insurance. By the time you're done paying for Parts B & D and the supplement, you're paying almost what we used to pay, pre-Obamacare, for a private policy. Of course, you can go the Medicare Advantage route which entails little or no monthly cost above Part B and may offer some nice extra bennies like gym membership, dental and/or vision, but then you are locked into a closed plan and may have limited access to doctors and hospitals, not to mention the problems involved with travel. My financial advisor snarkily said with the Supplement you pay now and with the Advantage, you pay when you really get sick.

I miss my old Humana plan which no longer exists and which, thanks to Obamacare, I probably couldn't afford anymore if it did.
To fully enjoy Medicaid you have to take advantage of the full package. I know a guy who is an OBGYN in a large Ohio city. He says the Medicaid patients have it down to a science, they hit the ER for treatment right before meal time, and bring the whole family so everybody gets a free meal. He said some Medicaid patients have gotten wise to the fact that they can show up at VA facilities needing "emergency" care and the facility has to treat them, and without the typical wait of the big city ER.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Having been covered by both,I'd point out that Medicaid is an entirely different program from Medicare.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.