Ordering from Bud's?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Ordering from Bud's?

Post by Brian D. »

A suitable holster/belt would complement the gun like ice cream complements fruit pie. I shot Cowboy Action for a bunch of years, the SASS monthly publication is loaded with such photography.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Brian D. wrote:A suitable holster/belt would complement the gun like ice cream complements fruit pie. I shot Cowboy Action for a bunch of years, the SASS monthly publication is loaded with such photography.
I'm never going to carry this gun, since I'm unaware of any indoor range here that allows draw from a holster. When I go hunting out of state every fifteen years or so, I'm never going to carry a fixed sight single action revolver when I've got one each 6" S&W Model 27-2s and 29-2s.

My problem is actually positioning the gun, rather than visual props.

I'm trying to work out a way to get the gun to stand upright without obtrusive measures like a dowel rod through the trigger guard. Plus I had to reconfigure my light tent and the camera mount to account for a subject that wide. My living room floor is so unstable, I can't use a tripod. You can see the camera and subject move relative to each other just by shifting from one foot to the other. I have to have the camera and subject on the same platform. I've got macro and still life platforms which I built, but neither were constructed for subjects this big. I may have to switch to an alternate camera mount.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

So you wanna prop em up like this.. (removed image links cause they are HUGE.. )

https://i.imgur.com/llwi5Z4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://i.imgur.com/8fLha62.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://i.imgur.com/RgXZQvw.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure what he used but it blended to the background. another poster said they use rubber stoppers he bought from Amazon

From Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/ ... pet_peeve/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Sevens wrote:
deanimator wrote:
Sevens wrote:Fin Feather Fur, for example, is 100% absolutely the finest place in all of Ohio to buy smokeless powder. No brick & mortar store is on their level, but a shout-out to Sportman's Den in Shelby, who is undoubtedly #2 in Ohio.
I like Fin. I bought my last gun there.

But I tried to buy a gun from them Saturday and literally COULDN'T.

I'm not in the habit of spending hundreds of dollars for things I DON'T want.

If they don't stock what I want, and can't order it, I'm not going to settle.

I can and did go someplace else. I'd be a fool to do anything else.
Umm, I take ZERO issue with this, you are doing specifically what you should do. This is the part where I would likely say that I also order guns and ship them to my FFL rather than buy them from big gun stores but the truth is that I have almost no use whatsoever for 98% of what all the manufacturers make in firearms today so my routine is irrelevent. I have a white-hot interest in guns that aren't made anymore, so I shop used.

The entirety of my activity in this discussion is to point out that places like FFF and Vance's set a relatively high transfer rate because they don't care to do it, it certainly does take away from their own potential sales but I think it's misplaced frustration to use terms like "punishing you" and "extracting the profit", because I don't agree that's their angle.

Also FWIW, the last time I heard a quoted rate from Vance's for inbound FFL transfer... it was $75, which makes FFF look like a bargain. Now I have no idea what Vance's charges these days for that, but I have zero interest an using Vance's for inbound FFL transfer. I have a dealer that I trust who also happens to be a damn funny SOB, so the communication with him is much more enjoyable than this thread has been. :lol:
There is a place in Fort Wayne, IN that a co worker uses, they do FFL transfers for FREE, so I guess it all depends on the business model ;-).

The Palmetto deal of the day often only lasts hours so it is worth finding a local dealer who wants to do transfers for a fair fee. They get first shot at all of my OTHER business too ;-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bruenor wrote:From Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/ ... pet_peeve/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's hilarious.

I bought some thin dowels this morning on the way home from work. I'll give that a try.

Properly photographing a 7 1/2" revolver is turning out to be more work than photographing a 1/32" fruit fly.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

deanimator wrote:Properly photographing a 7 1/2" revolver is turning out to be more work than photographing a 1/32" fruit fly.
Ah but it's the thrill of the hunt too, no?
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

djthomas wrote:
deanimator wrote:Properly photographing a 7 1/2" revolver is turning out to be more work than photographing a 1/32" fruit fly.
Ah but it's the thrill of the hunt too, no?
I'm creeping up on getting the light box rebuilt the right way.

Off to Home Depot...
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

A better picture of the Frontier shot in my [re]constructed light tent:

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

That's a handsome hog leg!
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Sevens wrote:That's a handsome hog leg!
Thanks.

It's not exactly the one I wanted, but it'll do.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Since you're somewhat on the photography subject, I was curious if you have a tilt-shift lens ? I've listened to a number of interviews recently with firearms photographers and this seems to be a common lense used in photographing firearms successfully. An interesting device once you read about what it does with perspective and focus. After seeing examples where it's been used I can definitely recall images of firearms in various publications and online showing those same aspects. I'm not a photographer just looking in from the outside, I have too many hobbies as it is, but I do find it interesting.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bruenor wrote:Since you're somewhat on the photography subject, I was curious if you have a tilt-shift lens ? I've listened to a number of interviews recently with firearms photographers and this seems to be a common lense used in photographing firearms successfully. An interesting device once you read about what it does with perspective and focus. After seeing examples where it's been used I can definitely recall images of firearms in various publications and online showing those same aspects. I'm not a photographer just looking in from the outside, I have too many hobbies as it is, but I do find it interesting.
No, I don't have one of those.

Generally, they're used for architectural photography to prevent convergence when photographing tall buildings.

They tend to be VERY expensive. The last picture I posted was done with an inexpensive Canon 18-55mm STM kit lens, the kind that comes with the camera. I bought mine separately to replace the ancient 18-55mm non-image stabilized kit lens that came with my previous camera. It has a reputation for EXCELLENT image quality, which I think it justified by that picture.

I'm not sure a til-shift lens would be worth the price for photographing handguns. Long guns might be a different story. Of course I don't have the ability to photograph long guns, since I can't use a tripod. My camera has to be on the same platform as the subject. I do all of my photography in my living room which has a floor so unstable, you can see the relative movement between a tripod mounted camera and a subject placed on a separate surface, just by shifting my weight from one foot to the other.