32 ACP source

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

32 ACP source

Post by Gramps »

Bought the wife a Keltec P32 for Christmas which she likes a lot and so far I think it is a good pistol for pocket carry.
We found ONE box of ammo and had to drive 15 miles to pay 50 cents per round for FMG. :(
I may stick with the FMG for carry this winter and target when needed but don't know a good source anywhere in Logan county. A trustworthy online source would be good with fair prices and reliable shipping..
Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
deanimator

Re: 32 ACP source

Post by deanimator »

Graf and Sons is good. I used to go to their store when I was going to college in Missouri.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Brownells
SG Ammo
AmmoToGo

Many people feel FMJ is better in the small calibers, 32,25,22, as JHP penetration is very shallow.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
ruger

Post by ruger »

Target Sports USA in Connecticut has decent prices. No sales tax. If you buy a case, they ship it for free.

I usually get .380 ammo from them for my LCP and my wife's Shield EZ. Their prices on Federal and Blazer Brass have been pretty good
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

I like SG ammo, they usually have what you need.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Thanks guys! I will check them out and get a stock of 32s soon.
Yesterday on a whim I stopped in our local Dunhams expecting the same lack of 32s that has kept me from getting the P32 for months.
Cool! 2 boxes on the shelf and 20% off all centerfire pistol ammo! Ya know I bought them both! Don't think they gave me my military discount however :(
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

In my experience, there are three online sources of ammo to consider as a "first shot GO TO", and the only time it's worth going beyond those three are when someone offers a fantastic sale.

Outdoor Limited

Target Sports USA

SG Ammo

All are good. Target Sports recently started up a "membership" that many report pays for itself very quickly if you order often. It is not for me but it may be for others. I have no need because I'm rarely buying anything other than rimfire as I'm an avid handloader. Occasionally I'll buy defense ammo, but I roll my own otherwise with no factory ammo wanted or needed.

The memberships costs $95 annually (yep, sticker shock, I agree but hold on...), Target Sports then sells you everything right above wholesale and all your shipping is free all the time.

The crap part that bothers me, and is really poor business in my opinion is that Target Sports doesn't list the membership price if you don't have the membership. However, they answer e-mails quickly and they will tell you directly in the e-mail that you can ask specifically about any product and they'll tell you.

Bottom line... if you shoot as much as I do and you don't reload, it kind of seems like there is no possible way to beat the deal this membership brings.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Anything I would carry that's .380 or smaller/weaker, I'd just use ball ammo. My chronograph has shown that factory listed velocity figures are...optimistic, to say it nicely. Out of the typical short barrels, I don't think any of the hollow points would expand anyway. Never used ballistic gelatin, but gallon jugs filled with muddy water give you an idea about penetration and expansion.
To me, .380 is marginal on a good day, everything below that you need as much luck, and as much penetration, as possible.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

There's always the ammo search engines as well for finding ammo..

https://ammoseek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/32acp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/32acp/-handgun-grains-defense" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prvi hollow points fort $10.26 a box..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Brian D. wrote:Anything I would carry that's .380 or smaller/weaker, I'd just use ball ammo. My chronograph has shown that factory listed velocity figures are...optimistic, to say it nicely. Out of the typical short barrels, I don't think any of the hollow points would expand anyway. Never used ballistic gelatin, but gallon jugs filled with muddy water give you an idea about penetration and expansion.
To me, .380 is marginal on a good day, everything below that you need as much luck, and as much penetration, as possible.
Mrs has really small hands that are not very strong. The P32 fits good, really easy to conceal, She can hold a decent group @ 20ft, weighs little, she can handle the (minimal) recoil well and pull the slide fairly easy. Not all so with the LCP or LC9S she has tried.
IMO a little handgun she can use is better than no handgun when needed.
All I would use in the P32 would be hard ball ammo for defense for reasons just as you stated. I walked away from 2 boxes of $10/box HP 32s at Rural King the other day. 10 miles down the road the duh sign lit up! TARGET AMMO dummy! We were close on time to get back here and we didn't make the trip back.
Thanks everyone for your help! Have some good leads and info now!
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I've got to say that in my opinion... you need to keep looking. I am not trying to be rude and I regret that at best -- I am complicating your situation with my opinions rather than helping. Of course, you are certainly free to dismiss my opinions also!

First off, Kel-Tec doesn't make high quality products. I own two myself, so anyone can write my take off as "brand bashing" but the fact is that one doesn't need much help from me if their goal is to call Kel-Tec quality suspect. Kel-Tec is a budget brand at best and their reputation for "quality" is well established.

Furthermore, you tell us that Mrs. lacks hand strength. This begs the question of how well she can manipulate the small slide on a Kel-Tec P32. You say that she can pull it fairly well, but I'd be concerned.

Mostly however, the real problem with .32 ACP is the semi-rimmed design of the cartridge. It was a stop-gap idea a hundred-plus years ago and it's been relegated to the annals of history. The semi-rimmed design is a poor design that is often a victim of rim-lock in pistol magazines.

If it were "my Mrs.", I'd keep searching for a different defense handgun. Again, apologies if my opinion isn't enjoyed, but I send it from a good place. ;)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I keep meaning to get my hands on one of the S&W 380 Shield EZ models to try for people with hand strength issues. The reports I've heard sound very promising.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Sevens wrote: If it were "my Mrs.", I'd keep searching for a different defense handgun. Again, apologies if my opinion isn't enjoyed, but I send it from a good place. ;)
You thoughts are accepted well and have much merit. Thank you!
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bruenor wrote:I keep meaning to get my hands on one of the S&W 380 Shield EZ models to try for people with hand strength issues. The reports I've heard sound very promising.
The slide on that gun is indeed easy to operate. And the fact that it's sort of medium size seems like an asset. Might be a little harder to conceal, but you get some extra weight and better sights compared to a Kel Tec.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:
Bruenor wrote:I keep meaning to get my hands on one of the S&W 380 Shield EZ models to try for people with hand strength issues. The reports I've heard sound very promising.
The slide on that gun is indeed easy to operate. And the fact that it's sort of medium size seems like an asset. Might be a little harder to conceal, but you get some extra weight and better sights compared to a Kel Tec.
Pocket carry was also mentioned in the OP. If pocket carry is a concern, unless you've got big pockets, it is going to be much easier to pocket carry a gun the size of a P32 than a gun the size of a S&W .380 Shield, or to find good pocket carry holsters for it that don't print the outline of the gun through the pocket.