Question about this site/forum server

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Question about this site/forum server

Post by dustymedic »

Did the clock get switched off of Daylight Savings Time? I'm seeing some post that are stamped ahead of the current local time.
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

dustymedic wrote:Did the clock get switched off of Daylight Savings Time? I'm seeing some post that are stamped ahead of the current local time.
That's a per-user setting. You can change it in the User Control Panel under Board Preferences.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

So, I brought this up at the annual board meeting and we should now be running HTTPS for the forums. We are working on the issue where some of the content is not being served over HTTPS (probably the banner ads coming over from the main website) and should have that resolved soon.

If you were logged in when the change happened, you may need to clear cache and/or delete cookies...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

JustaShooter wrote:So, I brought this up at the annual board meeting and we should now be running HTTPS for the forums. We are working on the issue where some of the content is not being served over HTTPS (probably the banner ads coming over from the main website) and should have that resolved soon.

If you were logged in when the change happened, you may need to clear cache and/or delete cookies...
It appears I hVe a bunch of http:// links in the static templates. Well get it knocked out.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

I think I found all of the stray http:// links in the forums and code. So 99% of the time any web browser should display a padlock icon, but I can't figure out why Chrome on my macbook is implying there is still an issue, firefox on the same mac is green). (Chrome on my old win7 laptop is green)

Either way, this is solved. For those who made a bunch of suggestions earlier we did use letsencrypt here before I even read this thread. We have a wildcard *.ohioccw.org SSL certificate that is good until this June. At this point we'll probably make that a letsencrypt too :)
Jeff Garvas, President

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm still seeing the mixed content warning on Firefox on Windows 10 as well.

FYI
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Well, it's all well with me in Chrome.
Nice little lock and https:// in the address line now.
Thanks.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

JustaShooter wrote:I'm still seeing the mixed content warning on Firefox on Windows 10 as well.

FYI
I think it’s inevitable unless we make the forums rewrite every rendered url. Look at your signature. I can’t easily account for that.

Edit: user provided avatars are another issue. So every page has a 50/50 chance of mixed content, but interaction with the forum itself is encrypted. That’ll have to do.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

jgarvas wrote:I think it’s inevitable unless we make the forums rewrite every rendered url. Look at your signature. I can’t easily account for that.
Good point. Edited mine to use https.
jgarvas wrote:user provided avatars are another issue. So every page has a 50/50 chance of mixed content, but interaction with the forum itself is encrypted. That’ll have to do.
Avatars are uploaded to the site, so they shouldn't be an issue, right?
NRA Life Member

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

jgarvas wrote:I think I found all of the stray http:// links in the forums and code. So 99% of the time any web browser should display a padlock icon, but I can't figure out why Chrome on my macbook is implying there is still an issue,
I see the mixed content alert on every page - I think it is the banner ad. The image URL for the one currently shown as I type this is

Code: Select all

http://ohioccw.org/images/banners/attorney_banner.jpg
NRA Life Member

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Certificate specifies site name as 'ohioccwforums.org' so if you go to 'www.ohioccwforums.org' you get the Not Secure flag in Chrome, while the same link without the www. hostname shows as fine.

SECURE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=92665&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOT SECURE
https://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic ... 5&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

JustaShooter wrote:
jgarvas wrote:user provided avatars are another issue. So every page has a 50/50 chance of mixed content, but interaction with the forum itself is encrypted. That’ll have to do.
Not all of them. On this page, I only see AlanM's as non-HTTPS, remote content:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/thisisadummy/images/MeBertSml.JPG
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ArmedAviator wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Not all of them. On this page, I only see AlanM's as non-HTTPS, remote content:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/thisisadummy/images/MeBertSml.JPG
Interesting, I guess I didn't know they could be linked rather than uploaded.
NRA Life Member

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Bruenor wrote:Certificate specifies site name as 'ohioccwforums.org' so if you go to 'www.ohioccwforums.org' you get the Not Secure flag in Chrome, while the same link without the www. hostname shows as fine.
Let's Encrypt! allows the use of Subject Alternative Names (SAN) that corrects that issue. I.E., the domain name would be issued as ohioccwforums.org, with SAN's of http://www.ohioccwforums.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and any other subdomains in use. Adding a SAN would require that the certificate be reissued, but Let's Encrypt allows that as well.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Bruenor wrote:Certificate specifies site name as 'ohioccwforums.org' so if you go to 'www.ohioccwforums.org' you get the Not Secure flag in Chrome, while the same link without the www. hostname shows as fine.

SECURE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=92665&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOT SECURE
https://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic ... 5&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good catch. http://www.ohioccwforums.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is supposed to rewrite that off but it wasn't. Fixed.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?