Deck Construction/Remodeling Question

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: Deck Construction/Remodeling Question

Post by JediSkipdogg »

So, an update on my research of our current deck. I learned that the deck joists that actually support the final flooring are 24" on center. Come to find out, 16" is max recommended for any composite decking. So, now I'm stuck if it's worth converting the deck to composite and having to add five 60' spans of support so it would be 12" supports or just replace the bad boards as they occur and stick with wood.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

"Do it right and do it once."
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

I was recently in the same situation - an older deck with 24" on center joists that I wanted to replace with composites. In removing the original decking I discovered that the original joists weren't in very good shape - some rotting here and there, bowing, etc. I ended up replacing everything except the posts set in concrete and 3 main beams, which I used as supports by attaching new 2x12's to the old beams, and rebuilding from there. By overbuilding at each step, I think I have a very solid deck, with new composite decking.

Now my deck should last a couple more decades and it looks great.

As the previous poster said - Do it right and do it once.