What to Say to Nosy Neighbors Who Ask About Ammo Deliveries

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

What to Say to Nosy Neighbors Who Ask About Ammo Deliveries

Post by High Power »

I got my order of over 1200 rounds of 5.56 mm ammunition in today. When the UPS vehicle pulled up to the driveway, I went out to the curb to meet the driver.

The shipping weight was over 42 pounds and he delivers enough heavy stuff. So I thought I'd save him the trouble. When he emerged from the back of the vehicle I said, "Well it looks like I finally got my ball bearings."

He almost dropped the box from laughing. The outside of the box had BIG bold labeling that said "Midway USA" and "Nitro Express Shipping" with a big bullet printed on the side.

If you are like me and order ammunition online when it's on sale you might get a lot of it. So what do you tell an inquisitive neighbor who's curious about lots of UPS deliveries?

I'll start first.

If someone asks what is in the boxes that I get all the time, I ask them, "Are you interested in buying some Amway products?" That usually keeps them away and from asking anymore questions.

So what does everyone else say to Mrs. Kravitz who lives next door?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
pirateguy191

Re: What to Say to Nosy Neighbors Who Ask About Ammo Deliver

Post by pirateguy191 »

Nunya.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

High Power wrote:So what does everyone else say to Mrs. Kravitz who lives next door?
"Want to go in with me on my next order?" :mrgreen:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Colostomy bags.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I just got a little bit of ammo, wanna go out back and test it ? (So nice not living in the city.)

My neighbor got his dillon 1050 with autodrive going.. told me last night, that he needs to load about 27K rounds to cover he and the wife this year for matches.

Glad we got to leave ms. Kravitz behind when we moved out of Cleveland.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
marca

Post by marca »

Tell them you are getting ready for "the big day".
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

This is a fun thread but there is a -DARK- angle. Look and see how either the liberal media or (God forbid) the general populace is leaning toward the "OMG, see something, say something!"

What is not only absolutely normal for us kinds of folks (better than normal -- it's smart, fortunate, proper planning and best use of funds on any budget) does not look like that to a casual observer. And if/when we morph to a new generation of laws/regulations that allows one hyper-ventilating ninny to see GASP, a "stockpile!" of incoming ammo... what's next? A visit from investigators? Psychiatric interview? Something done "for his own good" ?!

I have never considered myself part of any tinfoil hat kind of crowd, but the more I read... the more chilling the thought.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
High Power

Post by High Power »

Sevens wrote:This is a fun thread but there is a -DARK- angle. Look and see how either the liberal media or (God forbid) the general populace is leaning toward the "OMG, see something, say something!"

What is not only absolutely normal for us kinds of folks (better than normal -- it's smart, fortunate, proper planning and best use of funds on any budget) does not look like that to a casual observer. And if/when we morph to a new generation of laws/regulations that allows one hyper-ventilating ninny to see GASP, a "stockpile!" of incoming ammo... what's next? A visit from investigators? Psychiatric interview? Something done "for his own good" ?!

I have never considered myself part of any tinfoil hat kind of crowd, but the more I read... the more chilling the thought.
Excellent observations. Nevertheless, there are still some great deals for online purchases of ammunition, parts, accessories or other accouterments for our chosen hobby.

The only other way around sneaking this stuff past Mrs. Kravitz is to have it shipped somewhere else. In which case you could run into similar unwanted and misconstrued scrutiny.

I thought about "bibles" instead of "ball bearings" but that was already taken.

Reference Beecher's Bibles here: https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/beecher-bibles/11977

I've been running short of lug nuts, Briggs & Stratton engine blocks and antique anvils. Does anyone know where I can get good deals on those items?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

It’s not so much the arrival, but rather the box disposal that gets you in trouble. People love to look at other
people’s trash on garbage day.

i buy a new TV? you’ll never see the box at the curb.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Allah commanded this purchase...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Mr. Glock wrote:It’s not so much the arrival, but rather the box disposal that gets you in trouble. People love to look at other
people’s trash on garbage day.
+1.

I always deface the boxes.

There's no need for my neighbors to know that my life-size inflatable comfort doll was recently unboxed and that it wasn't "a gift for my cousin" like I'd claimed from when it was mis-delivered next-door.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Boxes are just kindling used to help start the coal furnace (winter), or firepit (spring, summer, Fall).

I just want to know why your inflatable comfort doll looks like a sheep.... :twisted:
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
High Power

Post by High Power »

What is even worse than having Mrs. Kravitz know about your ammo/gun parts purchases is having your SWMBO find out!

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I just say it's more car parts. I'm always getting car parts delivered. The mail lady jokes about it.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Bruenor wrote: I just want to know why your inflatable comfort doll looks like a sheep.... :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops:
:shock:
Last edited by TSiWRX on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio