Gun law critics fear state will become O.K. Corral

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Gun law critics fear state will become O.K. Corral

Post by TunnelRat »

The Sarasota Herald Tribune wrote:Gun law critics fear state will become O.K. Corral
But many praise the law, which goes into effect today, saying criminals will think twice

By Latisha R. Gray

Joe Brower says everyday life is like "Wild Kingdom." It's survival of the fittest. And in his world, criminals don't attack people with guns; people with guns are the strong ones.

If some criminal mistakes him for prey, as of today, a new law gives him the right to shoot with the gun he keeps at his side.

"A lion out in Africa doesn't go for the strongest zebra," said Brower, a 44-year-old software engineer. "It goes for the weakest. Human predators do the exact same thing. If you are armed, that makes you stronger."

The "Stand Your Ground" law says instead of running, people who fear for their lives have the right to defend themselves -- no matter where they are.

Gun owners like Brower say the new law will make criminals think twice before they attack. But others who feel uneasy about the legislation say it could turn Florida into the Wild West.

One national group, The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, is warning tourists to stay away from Florida for their own safety. Visitors to the state get wide-eyed when they hear about the new law.

"The law has reverted back to an eye-for-an-eye mentality," said Derek Byrd, a local defense attorney. "I think you have to be real careful with this one. What you don't want is people running around arming themselves, waiting for a situation to react to."

Richard MacEntee, 67, said people have nothing to worry about if they aren't doing anything wrong. The Ellenton resident shoots between 300 and 400 rounds a day and has been around guns since he was 9 years old.

"Most gun owners are very cautious," he said during a target practice session Thursday. "People shouldn't be scared. But there are always going to be some gray areas. People will wonder, 'Were you really in danger?'" he said.
More at:
http://tinyurl.com/bxvqa
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Gun owners like Brower say the new law will make criminals think twice before they attack. But others who feel uneasy about the legislation say it could turn Florida into the Wild West.
Isn't that what Ohio was supposed to turn into?
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

Given that most of the shootings happen in association with other crimes and very seldomly between an upstanding citizen and a criminal, and given the fact that very few CCW holders would decide on fight vs. flight on legal grounds, but rather on the likely success of each option, I would say that it will only make a difference in court, and not on the street.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

Given that most of the shootings happen in association with other crimes and very seldomly between an upstanding citizen and a criminal, and given the fact that very few CCW holders would decide on fight vs. flight on legal grounds, but rather on the likely success of each option, I would say that it will only make a difference in court, and not on the street.
Absolutely!!!
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Brian D.

Can we bring back wooden sidewalks?...

Post by Brian D. »

You should hear the cool sound made when walking on those boards, while you're wearing cowboy boots and spurs! OK Corral? Say, I've been to Tombstone Arizona, it's a pretty nice place! Really nice gun shop, weather allows you to keep the top down on your convertible about year-round.

Um, did I miss the point-----again?? :shock:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.