Not just a "womens issue"

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

write2char

Not just a "womens issue"

Post by write2char »

This isn't just a women issue, but I couldn't find anywhere else to post it. I do, though, hope some of you will care and stand up with me.
Common Core is currently taking over our education across the United States. The whole business is shady. I now read that it's a curriculum from India?!! Being implemented worldwide?
http://realitybloger.wordpress.com/2013 ... the-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just posting, in case anyone is interested in what's going on in our school system.
If we're going to spend a lot of money to deal with the problem of 200 million guns in the country owned by 65 million gun owners, we ought to have a system which will work and catch criminals.
John Dingell
bearkitty

Re: Not just a "womens issue"

Post by bearkitty »

I have a lot of friends that are teachers. So far not a single one of them has had anything good to say about Common Core.

Of course, OH just changed it's standardized testing - so there's lots to be concerned about right now.

I've got a HS Senior and an 8th grader. I am seriously considering the K-12 online/home schooling for my youngest.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
write2char

Post by write2char »

bearkitty wrote:I am seriously considering the K-12 online/home schooling for my youngest.
I've had a child in k12 for 2 (this will be the 3rd) years... and 3 more in QDA out of New Philly. I get it. :/
SO much of common core is BAD business.... another link: http://benswann.com/the-most-dangerous- ... mmon-core/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If we're going to spend a lot of money to deal with the problem of 200 million guns in the country owned by 65 million gun owners, we ought to have a system which will work and catch criminals.
John Dingell
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Thanks for that read, I am not teaching K-12, so I have not heard about it.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

bearkitty wrote: I am seriously considering the K-12 online/home schooling for my youngest.
K-12 online school is still part of the school system, and chooses your curriculum. You may not have much leeway in what you teach your child during school. Common Core may be creeping in. I was just talking to a mom last night who has been using it for a couple of years. She isn't happy with some of what is taught, and is considering homeschooling on her own next year.

My husband and I have been home schooling in the free sense of the word for 17 years, and have graduated 2. I have no desire to allow the fed to dictate what my children learn, or how they do it.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
write2char

Post by write2char »

That's true, for sure. With QDA I have the ability to choose between different curriculum... and I love that choice. I would love to traditional homeschool (and as more and more of the curriculum changes to Common Core I may be forced to try), but I'm not very good with follow through. I'd have to have something workbook based, and we just can't afford them. This way the computers are provided, the books are provided, and they even sent my first grader a tub of supplies through Little Lincoln :)

I DO understand though, that common core will eventually ingrade in k12 and the online schools. At least when I'm at home, and able to look at all that they're reading and working on I KNOW what they're being taught.

We are such a minority though. Makes me ILL to think it's going to be shoved down the throats of teachers and students alike. Teachers become teachers to TEACH.
John Dingell
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

I can understand the premise of common CORE - the US has been lagging behind in educational standards even since I was in school. However, with everything else that the government puts it hands (more) deeply into - it seems to go awry.

I had the advantage of going to a very small public school growing up in southern Ohio. Our class was 44 people, while the 7-12 high school was probably 250 students at the most. At my estimates, the entire district served about 800 children. It was a mixture of affluent suburban (if you can call the Portsmouth area that!) and poor rural, so the district didn't have the greatest of funding.

However, they were always ahead of most school districts when it came to education. The college entry tests - the SAT and ACT - were decent markers of where a school was at. I recall the ACT (scale up to 36) average test score at the time was around 18-19. Our school averaged a 25. Similar kind of stat for the SAT tests as well.

I moved to Columbus for my senior year of high school. I found a stark difference in the education. I was in review for at least the first half of the year, based on what I had learned at my previous school. The class sizes were so much larger that the teachers did not spend any real quality time with the students. Also, many of the teachers assigned busy work that had little to no educational value - I recall my English Lit teacher being that way. I passed an essay test (with an A-) on Hamlet without ever reading it - I got the Cliff Notes version.

So, I think the education system has been failing us and now our children for years. It used to be that they blamed it on the funding system in Ohio - but truth is, it is more than just that. Many of the teachers don't seem to have a passion to teach - they are just grinding their way through the system until they can get to that better managed retirement system.

The "core" difference today - the government is tracking the results more closely, after setting up (sub)standards by which they want to measure. The value of the education has not increased, and for those children that do not want to be successful - there will be few enterprising teachers to inspire and push them to be better.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xenos

Post by xenos »

You do not know what is best for yourself, your spouse, your children, your family, you community, your country, your continent, your hemisphere, your world, your inner peace, your soul or your universe. So stop fussing and let those that do know what is best guide you in the right direction. Really, if you knew what was best then you wouldn't be the one posting on a message board saying how unjust everything is. :mrgreen:

Just as most things that are "standardized" across this country; what is good for rural Idaho may not be good for inner city New York. Just like most things that are "standardized" across this country, which are put in place by those that "know better", there is a bit of failure built into the system. If those that fail to pass what those that "know better" deem as passing then those same people write into the law provisions that will allow themselves to swoop in and "correct" things. For the greater good of course.

Here is a great question that is on topic. Once it is illegal to teach your own children at home or, if you do, it completely stops your child's ability to take part in common society,then what would you do?
Let every single step taken in this most intricate affair, be upon the defensive. God Forbid that we should give your enemies the opportunity to saying justly that we have brought a civil war upon ourselves, by the smallest offensive action. ~ William Emerson
write2char

Post by write2char »

xenos wrote: Once it is illegal to teach your own children at home or, if you do, it completely stops your child's ability to take part in common society,then what would you do?
I have no idea what I'd do. How many options are there? 1. Move 2. Send them 3. Build an underground society where they CAN take part.

By the time things get that bad, we'll probably need #3 anyway along with a compound to hide with our other gun loving friends... so I'll probably do that. :wink:
John Dingell