Post your media gun errors here

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Re: Post your media gun errors here

Post by AlanM »

In nearly every movie or tv program where someone is preparing for a fire fight with a gun that has a high capacity magazine they will show the person pull the mag. and push the top round down with their thumb then put the magazine back.

WTH are they supposed to be doing??? :?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Sigma40

Post by Sigma40 »

What about when they fire 3 rounds from a double barrel shotgun without a reload?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-Samuel Adams
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Sigma40 wrote:What about when they fire 3 rounds from a double barrel shotgun without a reload?
HA! watch ANY of the old black and white westerns where six shooters never had to be reloaded and the bullets in the gun belts were never used.
AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
mropencarry

Post by mropencarry »

Back in the mid 80's there was this stupid, stupid show called "Supercarrier". You could drive a hog truck through it's attention to detail. The biggest laugh I got was when this BG was below deck, broke free and grabbed a .45 from an on-duty Marine, then started shooting. A)No weapon is loaded while on duty, 2)Try getting a weapon from a Marine.

Ok, one more stupid thing - this sailor was watching the whales through his binoculars. When we saw his POV (point of view) you could see bearing markers on the bottom of the screen. Maybe the binoculars that sell for $80,000,000 a copy have those perks, but certainly not the military budget in the Graham-Rudman era.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Last night, Feb. 19th, I watched an episode of "Bones" in which they were investigating the death of a soldier that was killed in Iraq.
They established he was killed by friendly M-14 fire.
This begs the question how could they know the bullets were fired from an M-14 vice an M-16?? :?

Note: I am totally ignorant on military long guns. The only one I ever fired was an M-1 Garand in boot camp.
Ok, color me stupid, I just Googled M-14 and realized that the M-14 shoots 7.62 x 51mm NATO ammo not 5.56mm.

The re-enactment scenes the program showed had all the Americans carrying M-16s as best as I could tell.
Were any M-14s converted to M-16 style stocks and holosights?
This seems like an incredibly stupid error. :roll:
AlanM
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

mropencarry wrote:Ok, one more stupid thing - this sailor was watching the whales through his binoculars. When we saw his POV (point of view) you could see bearing markers on the bottom of the screen. Maybe the binoculars that sell for $80,000,000 a copy have those perks, but certainly not the military budget in the Graham-Rudman era.
My Steiners show bearing, the more expensive ones included a range finder. They were about $600 back when, I am sure you can get this feature a lot cheaper now.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

AlanM wrote:... the M-14 shoots 7.62 x 51mm NATO ammo not 5.56mm.

The re-enactment scenes the program showed had all the Americans carrying M-16s as best as I could tell.
I'm pretty sure that's a "no," Alan.

There are some synthetic aftermarket stocks, some with, some without pistol grips, but it's pretty easy to tell the two apart in profile.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

147Doc wrote:
AlanM wrote:... the M-14 shoots 7.62 x 51mm NATO ammo not 5.56mm.

I'm pretty sure that's a "no," Alan.

There are some synthetic aftermarket stocks, some with, some without pistol grips, but it's pretty easy to tell the two apart in profile.
That's what I thought.
It's not like only one actor mentioned the M-14 once. Several characters used the term several times. If it had been one quick slip of the tongue I could have believed it was unintentional, but the writers HAD to have written it into the script.
The reason I'm personally bugged about this is that I just found out that one of my oldest nieces is on the production staff of that program in a management position.

ETA- I found out more about that episode.
It was episode 21 of season 1, "The Soldier on the Grave". First aired on May 10, 2006. Synopsis - A charred body found in a cemetery leads to the team investigating a possible cover-up involving a group of soldiers in the Iraq war.
Last edited by AlanM on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlanM
Fyresq

Post by Fyresq »

I was flipping channels the other night and came across a show where guy #1 was holding guy #2 at gunpoint with a Sig, a fight ensues and the gun is dropped. The camera shows the gun on the floor and it's a nickle plated beretta. Guy #2 wins the fight and picks up the gun which has magicly transformed into a Glock. I guess the production crew was throwing the prop guns into a box after each cut and pulling one out at random. :roll:

I always get a kick out of some of the terminal effects of various weapons like blowing up a car with a single handgun round, hand grenades leveling buildings ect. Probably the worst show for this kind of stuff was the A-Team. Trashcan lids make great armor plate.
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol

http://www.ohiovalleyfirearmstraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

AlanM wrote:Were any M-14s converted to M-16 style stocks and holosights?
Could easily have been an MK-14:

Was the shooter a designated marksman (sniper) or on a special forces team of some sort?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

jabeatty wrote:
AlanM wrote:Were any M-14s converted to M-16 style stocks and holosights?
Could easily have been an MK-14:

Was the shooter a designated marksman (sniper) or on a special forces team of some sort?
AH HA!
Looks like, as usual, my ignorance bite me in the bu**! :oops:
Here's the full transcription of the dialog for the episode:
http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/bones/sea ... es-121.htm
One member of the squad was issued an M-14.
I apologize, it looks like the story line IS historically accurate.
My bad. :oops:

Well, I learn something new every day.
AlanM
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

AlanM wrote:Well, I learn something new every day.
That's my definition of a good day, btw. :)
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Last night I happened to watch a "Bones" episode called "The Dwarf in the Dirt".

Besides a skeleton found in sinkhole was a handgun.

It was described as "a .22 caliber Ruger Mark III, rusted beyond belief".
And then this was flashed on the screen.

I'm pretty sure that is not a Ruger Mk III. :roll:

Here's another scene where it was shown:
AlanM
djom1cincy

Post by djom1cincy »

I saw a Dolph Lundgren movie that cracked me up. I think the movie was Storm Catcher but not positive. Anyway in one scene they are running with rifles and you can see the barrels flexing up and down. They had to be using cheap rubber guns.
Daniel
U.S.M.C. 96-00
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

AlanM