The Thread About Nothing!!

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BobK

Re: The Thread About Nothing!!

Post by BobK »

evan price wrote:How the heck did I put 100,000 miles on a vehicle in just three years? I thought I was driving less nowadays.
You forgot that you bought it used with 55,000 miles already on it??

:lol:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

djmac1964 wrote:
CroManGun wrote:
welshj wrote:Had a female friend and her husband come out over the last weekend.
She is a law student, and has a stalker- so she asked about learning something about guns and shooting as she would like to get a pistol and her CHL soon.

She got a block of instruction on coopers rules of safety, then on to familiarization with different guns, hand and long.
Showed her safe handling and clearing procedures for everything I have.
Then a class on aiming and proper sight picture before going out and actually shooting.

Started her out with a .22 ruger mark II, then on to the wifes .38 and then my .45's.

Actually did really well with the ruger- all rounds but one hit on target... a little wide, staggered group... but on target.

fun day.
Kudos to the wife for being proactive in such a dangerous situation.
But...
Where was her hubby during all this, in a corner sucking his thumb? Or does he figure, "Hey, he's YOUR stalker, YOU deal with it"?
This statement seems a bit unnecessary to me.

I don't know the situation, so I can't comment on it. I do know that my wife has a tendency to learn better, and retain more, if taught by someone else. For some reason when I try to give her pointers, especially if she's already frustrated, she takes it a criticism, rather than me trying to be helpful. If we are shooting, and someone else is trying to give her advice, I generally try to stay back, and let her soak it in.
I don't know about you, but someone just wanting to learn how to shoot is quite a bit different from someone that feels they have to learn in order to protect themselves from a stalker. Throw in the factor that a family member is involved. I stand by my statement.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

I still don't see how a statement about her husband being in the corner sucking his thumb is necessary, or has anything to do with the situation. Do you think it is possible that the husband could have possibly been there learning how to use the firearm himself? Or, he didn't feel he was qualified to instruct his wife in the things she needed to know?

I personally feel that it's kind of a low blow to make such a statement about a person who is not here to defend himself, and I for one, will not sit quietly and watch it happen.

There is a fine line between your post, and what could be considered a personal attack per TOS, please keep that in mind when making future posts.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
welshj

Post by welshj »

djmac1964 wrote:Do you think it is possible that the husband could have possibly been there learning how to use the firearm himself? Or, he didn't feel he was qualified to instruct his wife in the things she needed to know?
Leaving the rest of the previous comments alone-
because yes he was there, yes he is upset about it, but no he can't be there to defend his wife all the time.
But mostly- because its the internet and I've learned to control my anger issues much better than in my past. :D

However- No he cant teach her, because of a youthful indiscretion- he himself is in the restricted category and can't legally own a firearm.
I'm not sure about what the ramifications are going to be for her in that case when it comes to her owning one in the same household.
I did inform her to look into this situation before buying one. (Michigan)

Secondly- I've more firearms experience, and more familiar with concealed carry information than he. (little to no knowledge of CHL requirements)

Thirdly - Yep, he cant seem to teach her things readily... I find myself in the same situation with my spouse.

An attempt to do so one day caused my wife to get impatient, upset. And then get cut by the slide across the web of her thumb because she thought she knew enough about shooting to just do it, and not listen to me. She then jumped and muzzle swept myself and the entire firing line on the range immediately after. I grabbed her hand, the pistol and pushed them back down range before taking it from her, clearing the weapon and leaving the range.

She's not shot with me since, and now owns a revolver.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

welshj wrote:
djmac1964 wrote:Do you think it is possible that the husband could have possibly been there learning how to use the firearm himself? Or, he didn't feel he was qualified to instruct his wife in the things she needed to know?
Leaving the rest of the previous comments alone-
because yes he was there, yes he is upset about it, but no he can't be there to defend his wife all the time.
But mostly- because its the internet and I've learned to control my anger issues much better than in my past. :D

However- No he cant teach her, because of a youthful indiscretion- he himself is in the restricted category and can't legally own a firearm.
I'm not sure about what the ramifications are going to be for her in that case when it comes to her owning one in the same household.
I did inform her to look into this situation before buying one. (Michigan)

Secondly- I've more firearms experience, and more familiar with concealed carry information than he. (little to no knowledge of CHL requirements)

Thirdly - Yep, he cant seem to teach her things readily... I find myself in the same situation with my spouse.

An attempt to do so one day caused my wife to get impatient, upset. And then get cut by the slide across the web of her thumb because she thought she knew enough about shooting to just do it, and not listen to me. She then jumped and muzzle swept myself and the entire firing line on the range immediately after. I grabbed her hand, the pistol and pushed them back down range before taking it from her, clearing the weapon and leaving the range.

She's not shot with me since, and now owns a revolver.
Please relay my sincere apology to the husband involved.
I was obviously not happy with the circumstances as described in your original post and his seeming lack of involvement in his wife's stalker situation. Sometimes, what is not said carries even more weight than what is said.
Thank you for providing, as Paul Harvey was known to say, "The rest of the story".
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Sometimes it takes someone other than a spouse to teach things, I have been in several situations like that with friends... They would come to me because their spouse didn't have the patience or didnt know how to impart the knowledge in a way they could understand it or without sounding condescending...It happens, I don't understand it.. But it is what it is.. I took my wife out and taught her Cooper's 4 rules, how to hold the gun and let her shoot, didnt make her concentrate on hitting a certain spot on the target, but to just shoot and get used to the gun's recoil etc... Didnt take her out there and to overload her with a bunch of stuff her first time shooting.. It has worked well, I got her comfortable shooting(actually created a monster) and then got Navy Chief to give her the CHL class, which he did an excellent job with. And now she is a confident shooter that has pretty good aim... And she's safe with firearms.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

Still not locked?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

So no cool stories about crazy people these days.
Or are there?

Tales of the Lead Monkey

The shop i do my side work at has a really nice digital camera system covering every angle of the building. It's in a tough neighborhood.
One morning I drive up and there a Mercedes pulled right up against the front roll-up door. There's a connex box sitting beside the door so it makes a sort of nook.
I pull in and figure I'll investigate.
They'd a dude crouched up by his front bumper trying to take a poop.
Of curse I approach the guy asking calmly and politely what the frito-lay-snacks he's doing?
And he says, "I have to poop."
Did this look like a bathroom? There's a gas station on the next corner!
"Why are you mad? I have to poop!"
Hey get out. You know that's a camera right there above you filming your butt?
"Can I finish pooping first?"
No, get in your car and leave. And the video might not go on YouTube.
So he left. Giving me the finger. Like its my fault.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I have a couple of questions..Did he have toilet paper ? Did he take his poop with him ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I have a couple of questions..Did he have toilet paper ? Did he take his poop with him ?
Though he'd started he did not close the deal and therefore left with everything he'd started with.

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

So then, he did take the poop with him. :D
NRA Benefactor Member

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Tales of the Lead Monkey

So I've described my side job. I work for an ffl doing.. well everything. But I also have a side-side job. I fix things- dump trucks, skid steers, excavators, tractors, mowers, trailers, lots of small equipment- for construction companies, excavating contractors, a septic tank pumping company, small businesses that can't afford a mechanic but don't want to pay shop rates for things like changing hydraulic hoses, rebuilding pumps, replacing bearings. Fixing the power windows or putting on new mirrors. There's lots of things that need fixed and I work weekends, evenings or however their schedule requires. I even do emergency service calls to job sites. My boss the ffl is also a construction contractor. He lets me work on things in his big workshop.

So this one morning.
The shop is in a tough neighborhood.
One morning I'm cleaning up the alley. There's always stuff that blows out of the dumpster when he empties it, because the owner is too cheap to buy trash bags.
I realize the shopping cart population has gotten top big to ignore.

You see there's a scrap dealer just around the corner. They don't allow shipping carts in the gate, because they get abandoned. So they just stop in our alley and dump them there. I usually push them out behind the dumpster but today i count and there are 19 of them.
More won't fit.

I ask the owner what he wants done. "Get rid of them i don't care how."
In the past I've pushed them out onto the sidewalk and they disappeared. But that was one or two not 19.

Well I've just put a new hydraulic PTO on a dump truck for a customer. It's sitting in the laydown yard. And i just put new batteries in the Komatsu.
Soon those 19 carts are smashed flat with the excavator bucket and flipped into the dump truck.
Drove around the corner to the scrap guy. Bye carts.
Guy gives me some guff about "we don't buy carts" Well fine don't pay me.

weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

[quote="evan price"]Tales of the Lead Monkey

<snip>
<snip>

Sorta hard for me to imagine a tough neighborhood in Westfield. Be careful out there.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

weakhand luke wrote:
evan price wrote:Tales of the Lead Monkey

<snip>
<snip>
Sorta hard for me to imagine a tough neighborhood in Westfield. Be careful out there.
Shop's not in Westfield. It's near Milo Grogan in Columbus.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

evan price wrote:So no cool stories about crazy people these days.
Or are there?
I put my crazy people stories in the "Lessons of longtime concealed carry" thread in a different part of the board. It's not that I don't still run into goofy people and situations, but they're sort of reruns of previous incidents most times, really.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.