Where is everybody?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Re: Where is everybody?

Post by Bruenor »

schmieg wrote:[ having checks modified to reflect different payees and different amounts passed on to my bank. One was an $18.36 check changed to $4500.00 payable to some woman I never heard of.
Just FYI the Uni-Ball 207 pens are a pigment based ink to dye the paper fibers in checks and documents so that cannot be 'washed' and changed. If you've ever seen the movie 'Catch me if you can' about Frank Abignail (sp?) he designed the ink in these pens to prevent the exact thing he used to do. Can usually get a decent price on the multi-packs.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Adopted a couple puppies earlier this year, and holy handful batman.. Figured Two wouldn't be much more work than One, I couldn't have been more wrong. As soon as we came in the house with the 14 week old puppies one of them put their paws on the edge of the kitchen counter, Couldn't believe they could reach that already. Pups pretty much put the kabosh on any personal time at home. Just put them to bed and wife is out so that's the only reason I could get on tonight..

I took a new job mid September with the county, and there went my browsing from work ability, and my vacation for the next year. On the upside I cut 8 hours drive time and 480 Miles off of my weekly work commute so there's that.

Haven't even made it to the range at all this year, and that's kind of depressing.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Are the pups Malamutes? They look like it. We've had Siberians the last twenty plus years. Northern breed dogs are fun but can be a handful.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I got a new job, too.

I am now a director of nursing at a birthing center in Wayne County. Lots of hours, but much better place to work.

Very little time for much other than work, though. As I get more adjusted to this, I hope it will even out some.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

pk47 wrote:Are the pups Malamutes? They look like it. We've had Siberians the last twenty plus years. Northern breed dogs are fun but can be a handful.
German Shepard, Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute, and some other stuff thrown in as well. so all around fluffy lovable mutts, that can't stay out of trouble. :)
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Mustang380gal wrote:I got a new job, too.

I am now a director of nursing at a birthing center in Wayne County. Lots of hours, but much better place to work.

Very little time for much other than work, though. As I get more adjusted to this, I hope it will even out some.
Congrats !
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Bruenor wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:I got a new job, too.

Congrats !
Thank you!

It’s good to have a job you really enjoy. Hospital nursing got less and less enjoyable with the whole Covid mess.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I was going to start a new thread along these same parameters, but it would stall like this one.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:23 pm I was going to start a new thread along these same parameters, but it would stall like this one.
It's that time of year when people go on vacation or at least spend more time outside than in, staring at the stupid box on the desk.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

My wife has me busy repelling gophers and moles and other critters who are were eating the heck out of her garden (which she went to a lot more work to plant than I thought was worth it but that's a different subject). We tried all the other ways to combat them. I'm not laying on the ground all day though. I've got a table and camping chair in a shaded area set between two trees about 60 yards away. It's also a good windbreak also, not that it matters because the garden is straight north. The other day a red robin landed on top of my ammo bag just a few feet away from me and looked at me. It stayed there for several seconds, even after I said "Hi", and then just flew off. It could've been one of the robins in a nest that a Robin built on a railing of my back porch a while back. I think the female Robin did that because it was less likely predators could get to the nest. After the eggs hatched the mother would go search for food and the babies would just casually look at my wife and I.

I'm not defending against the veggie eating critters alone either. I watch for them during the day, and at night the trail cam has been showing a small red fox and before that a large cat searching for them too. There's also a hawk in the back yard and an owl in the front yard that might be hunting for varmints also. When the fox started showing up I was a little concerned for the neighbors farm cat but then I saw the cat has gone back to daylight hunting of mice and bunnies near some brush and a woodpile. The fox however would rather go after the gophers and even the groundhogs. The only time I've seen the fox in the daytime though was when I hooked up a flatbed utility trailer to my tractor and the fox came out from underneath it and casually walked towards the trees, like I had interrupted it's sleep or something. :roll: It's like living in a nature preserve out here in the sticks.

In addition to that there is a LOT of lawn mowing, a little motorcycle riding, and taking advantage of my outdoor range, as it was too cold in the winter
(for me at least).
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I've been working at the best job ever. Right now I am camping in beautiful Mohican State Park, relaxing and refreshing.

What are you up to, Brian? Anything new with you?
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Still here working three jobs and keeping the household running.
Just built a deck and a new fence to hide my Junque collection.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Spent the Spring getting used to new knee, doing a little trap shooting and visiting the ranges when I can.

Nice summer so far!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mustang380gal wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:20 am I've been working at the best job ever. Right now I am camping in beautiful Mohican State Park, relaxing and refreshing.

What are you up to, Brian? Anything new with you?
Just continuing to be an awaybody. (That's my term for the opposite of a homebody.) Today I dropped by the C&E gun show near Dayton, then went shooting outside near Xenia. Neither of those is a new activity for me.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

Junque collection :lol: :lol:
Call it an "exposition" and charge admission at the gate.

Finishing up small projects around the house, spending more time at the gun range when possible, and trying to get more pan fishing in this year than last (which wasn't much).
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.