Bad Gun Show Buyer

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Bad Gun Show Buyer

Post by Javelin Man »

I had a table at the Clyde Gun Show yesterday, a fellow looked at my Taurus Spectrum and criticized my price since it was much higher than new. I told him to go find a new one and buy it. I also showed him my Colt 1903 and told him it was only $39 new. He wanted to buy it at $39. I explained it was that price a hundred years ago when it was new and is no longer that price. He went to another dealer that had a Spectrum with a laser and told him my price (no laser) was lower. That dealer told him to go back and buy mine.

Anyway, he talked me down $15 and we agreed. My table clearly showed a sign that said they must be legally able to buy and show Ohio ID. He whipped out his Pennsylvania ID and explained he was new to the area. I explained I could not sell it to him since he was from out of state. He claimed he just bought his .22 short pistol (he wanted to trade) from a guy a couple of weeks ago in an Ohio gun show. Another fellow stepped in and explained he should not have sold it to him. A third guy later bought it off him just so he wouldn't wave it around (it was loaded must not have been snuck in the door).

His buddy then said, "I'll buy it at that price!" I took a breath and apologized but I was going to decline the sale. I told him it looked too much like he was buying it for his friend as they came in together and were walking around together, it would be a straw purchase and illegal. He denied it and said he was just a businessman and wanted protection for himself and his business. I told him that if he had come in by himself, it would not have looked like he was buying it for someone else, but for himself and would have sold it to him. But since he was with his buddy who could not buy it, the red flags are too much and I cannot risk it. I mentioned to my friend sitting at my table later that the second guy was holding a big paper that had DENY printed on it in full view.

Other vendors were watching the whole time and other spectators were waiting for things to go South in a hurry but the two individuals just kept arguing with me to change my mind which was immovable. They came back later to argue their case without success.

I was given kudos by many vendors and other watching buyers for refusing the sale as it looked like an ATF setup or at least it was an improper request for a sale. I had sold enough to help pay for my daughter's first year of college so I didn't need to make this sale or watch from jail her graduation.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Re: Bad Gun Show Buyer

Post by Brian D. »

You should consider printing out a sign of what's legal versus illegal regarding firearms transactions between FFL holders and individuals. The C&E show management does this. Of course, getting some folks to read and comprehend it could be challenging.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

You did it right.
Seems to be an increasing number of people who do not believe these laws apply to them.
The farther out of bounds they are, the louder and more obnoxious they become trying to berate you into giving them what they demand.
Happens on the gun counter as well, so don't feel like you are alone.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:I had a table at the Clyde Gun Show yesterday, a fellow looked at my Taurus Spectrum and criticized my price since it was much higher than new. I told him to go find a new one and buy it. I also showed him my Colt 1903 and told him it was only $39 new. He wanted to buy it at $39. I explained it was that price a hundred years ago when it was new and is no longer that price. He went to another dealer that had a Spectrum with a laser and told him my price (no laser) was lower. That dealer told him to go back and buy mine.
Was this Spectrum one of the silver colored ones or the typical black ones? If he wanted a black one he could've drove 3 hrs south to my area of Ohio. My LGS has plenty of black ones, but people like my wife only like the pretty shiny ones. :roll:
Getting a handgun down here is very little problem, (with a few exceptions) it's the food for them that is scarce. :(

I'm just guessing but if it was the ATF setting you up he wouldn't have argued over the price, but that doesn't mean someone from some LE agency wasn't watching, along with the other vendors, etc. Kudos to you for not getting sucked in to a possible legal nightmare.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Brian D. wrote:You should consider printing out a sign of what's legal versus illegal regarding firearms transactions between FFL holders and individuals. The C&E show management does this. Of course, getting some folks to read and comprehend it could be challenging.
But the President has stated that anyone can buy any gun at a gunshow, no questions asked. And some people are foolish enough to think he knows what he is talking about:(

Ken
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

OhioPaints wrote:
Brian D. wrote:You should consider printing out a sign of what's legal versus illegal regarding firearms transactions between FFL holders and individuals. The C&E show management does this. Of course, getting some folks to read and comprehend it could be challenging.
But the President has stated that anyone can buy any gun at a gunshow, no questions asked. And some people are foolish enough to think he knows what he is talking about:(

Ken
If you remember last summer when the response to much of the Democrat induced violence was firearm purchasing, people in the blue states were shocked at the hoop jumping required as that was not what they had been told was the case.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

And ya know...those two "bad buyers" just might have been ATF agents, testing the old gunshow loophole.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

screwman wrote:And ya know...those two "bad buyers" just might have been ATF agents, testing the old gunshow loophole.
That crossed my mind during and after the exchanges. However, I think the two were so inept they couldn't even act well enough as an educated agent. Others at the show near my table thought so as well.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George