Interest in gun rights... ?? gripe

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Interest in gun rights... ?? gripe

Post by Pops Fun »

Hi
My second post in a day, maybe a new record lol
I have a gripe about people I guess.. So everyone on here is pro gun rah rah!!
Why can't we get 4 thousand people to the state house? This has been on my mind a lot..
There are a lot of concealed carry licenses out there. In 2017 the Enquirer said there were "652,000 Ohio residents have active concealed carry licenses" ??
[https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2 ... 386636002/][/url]
Why do gun groups get less than a thousand people to come to the State House. I figured 5 or 6 hundred at the last couple I've been at. That might be generous. I have been at larger rallies but not for many years, might have been a thousand ?? Walked around the Capital.. It was cold I remember.

Last one I was at, it was embarrassing, OFFC and OGO had Senators and Representatives speak, :oops: I wondered if in their mind they thought it was a waste of time??
How can we get bills passed without peoples interest?? Senators and Representatives will think no one cares, think of what OFCC could be if the Legislators sat up and noticed THAT PEOPLE CARED!!
I appreciate gun groups work really... I just don't understand gun owners.

Delaware gets more people out and look at the size difference..

To me it shows where priorities are in peoples mind, I am sad!! :cry:

Sounding off
Steve
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
AlanM

Re: Interest in gun right... ?? gripe

Post by AlanM »

I totally agree.
Virginia has a population of 8.5 million compared to Ohio's 11.7 million and yet the Virginia Civilian Defense League is able to get people to drive themselves or pay for their tickets on chartered busses to show up by the hundreds for Lobby Day in Richmond every year.

This was Lobby Day 2019.

OFCC can't even get that many people to show up for the Party in the Park. Granted that's really not as important as your gun rights, but still.

Right now, in Virginia, there is a concerted push on to get the boards of supervisors of all the VA counties and as many as possible of the independent cities to declare themselves Second Amendment Sanctuaries.
So many local residents are showing up at the County Board meetings that the crowds overflow out into the halls and lawns of the meeting places. At least one meeting venue was moved to a local high school gym to accommodate the expected (and actual) turnout.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Interest in gun rights... ?? gripe

Post by Pops Fun »

Hi
I realize that people are busy, children and family's mean a lot to me. Mine are grown, and I am retired which makes it easier, I have brought my son and grandson to rallies.
It bothers me that we can't get a crowd for 1 or even 2 days a year. There are plenty of excuses... I have my own. lol I have missed the last 2 party's in the park, not sure why...
Buses are a good idea, rode a bus to Washington for a rally a while back it was fun. I don't consider myself as all gun-ho, but I think people could take a couple days a year for there priorities, I just don't understand.. :(
Perhaps more coverage at gun ranges would get the word out better! I don't know if people don't care or don't know!!

I realize it's easier to type than show up at a rally..
Steve
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

We've gotten the biggest Statehouse crowds on weekends. Trouble with that, the legislators aren't usually there for us to yell at. :lol:

The biggest crowd I ever saw was when Columbus passed their first "assault weapons" ban. Thousands (I mean, at least 10,000) OGCA members and other gun rights folks from across Ohio marched from the OGCA meeting at Vets Memorial Coliseum to the Statehouse. Cops had to close Broad Street for us.

That night the media grossly under-reported the turnout, and gave the story virtually no coverage, even in Columbus. Totally off the radar everywhere else. Oh, and only a few, pro-gun legislators showed up to talk to us.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Well color me surprised...
Brian I missed that ....
Steve
Brian D. wrote:We've gotten the biggest Statehouse crowds on weekends. Trouble with that, the legislators aren't usually there for us to yell at. :lol:

The biggest crowd I ever saw was when Columbus passed their first "assault weapons" ban. Thousands (I mean, at least 10,000) OGCA members and other gun rights folks from across Ohio marched from the OGCA meeting at Vets Memorial Coliseum to the Statehouse. Cops had to close Broad Street for us.

That night the media grossly under-reported the turnout, and gave the story virtually no coverage, even in Columbus. Totally off the radar everywhere else. Oh, and only a few, pro-gun legislators showed up to talk to us.
Steve

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

the 2A rally in DC on November 2nd 2019, drew only around 2,000 people.
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/11/2nd-am ... ington-dc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We (self included) definitely need to do better.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

VCDL has a good reputation as an effective state-level gun rights organization. If there are any other organizations in Virginia,I have never heard of them.

Meanwhile, the Ohio gun rights movement is fragmented into five organizations: OFCC, BFA, Ohio Gun Owners, Ohio Carry and Ohio Rifle and Pistol Association. How can an organization organize a large, effective rally when it only can communicate with a small percentage of Ohio gun owners?
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I've been at two rallies at the statehouse this year. Both times I was disappointed in how many people showed. BUT, I gotta believe attendance would have been WAY better if the situation we faced was similar to what is happening in VA right now. Ohio gun owners are confident the current legislature is not going to pass a bunch of draconian anti-gun laws so no pressing reason to disrupt their weekend with a trip to the statehouse.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Red statehouse, red governor seated in Ohio. How do you motivate people to protest the ones they put in office?
Virginia is staring down the wrong end of the barrel, they're excited.
Ohio is asleep.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798