Quick draw from fanny pack?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dr. Winston

Quick draw from fanny pack?

Post by Dr. Winston »

I may not supposed to be here, and if not I appologize, but I have a CCW concern for my wife.

She will be getting her 'permit' next month, and after I bought her a GLOCK 19, she purchased a 'fanny pack' for her concealed carry. It's a nice pack, looks just like a normal one that you see ladies wearing during the summer months etc, and it has a lockable zippered aread in the rear (closest to her) that opens and has a holster area for her gun.

Now, my concern is this... "How in the heck could she possibly draw quickly from that thing!???"

Do any of you ladies have any ideas or suggestions for her?

Thanks
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

As to your temertity to post in this section, the hound has been loosed.... :twisted:

I don't think there's any way to draw from one of those things if you want to do it quickly unless the zipper is open and you can easily get your hand in it.

They're not quick....

However, women don't usually use belt holsters, and anything that's "attached to you" is got to be harder to lose than a purse or other "bag".

Thunderwear or something stuck in a bra is barely an option with our Plain Sight requirements....

Guess you could do worse....

Maybe one of the gals will chime in with more suggestions.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Fanny Pack

Post by sabalo »

When I first got my CHL I carried in a fanny pack while driving. I had the front open and the gun exposed for "plain sight" as I drove. In the event I needed it, it was readily available and I could draw in a flash. Once you zip it up out of the car a draw would be slower than an on the body holster.
My fanny pack had a quick open cord that allowed you to pull on it and it opened the front of the pack to allow you to draw the gun. A little slow but not bad. There are worse ways for your wife to carry (there may be better ways but I'll let the women voce their favorites).
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

I haven't found a better way

Post by Mustang380gal »

I nurse a baby. Anything that would be on the waist band would likely be exposed every time I feed him.

Smart Carry is something I plan to seriously consider as soon as I have the money. It would be handy if the plain sight rule went away, too.

I got a few cheap fanny packs from Wal-Mart. I'm going to see if I can slit a place in the back, and attach Velcro or something.Then if I can design a good way to hold the gun in an accessible angle...

Linda
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

The way it was explained to me, the fanny pack acts as a holster and the fanny pack is in plain sight. If you inform the officer with the usual I'm CHL and I'm armed, but altered to be more like "...and I'm currently carrying in my belt pouch," you're in plain sight.

I myself will only be using one for those summer walks and such. I would hope that short of a car swerving off the road unexpectedly, I'd have at least enough warning that the whole lack of quick draw wouldn't be an issue. Not that I view unzipping a zipper and pulling is any longer than pulling my overshirt up and pulling.
"Moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue." - Ann Coulter
"Liberalism is part of a religious disorder that demands a belief that life is controllable." - Ann Coulter
By their fruits ye shall know them.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

practice

I seldom use one, but with practice I've done a draw in in around 1.25=1.5 seconds.
Unload the gun, have her practice opening with her off hand, & making the draw at the same time
Linda

Re: I haven't found a better way

Post by Linda »

Mustang380gal wrote:
I got a few cheap fanny packs from Wal-Mart. I'm going to see if I can slit a place in the back, and attach Velcro or something.Then if I can design a good way to hold the gun in an accessible angle...

Linda
For Linda and the original poster here....,

Linda, you can buy a "holstered" fanny pack at a gun store. If you're going to carry in this manner, spend the $30 and get one of these. Cheap fanny packs from Walmart are not a good idea and leaves you vulnerable. The holstered fanny packs have a quick open release, where you yank the cords attached, and the whole pack opens up. Really should not taken any longer than drawing from a holster. Also, once you've done this, the firearm is in it's holster and won't fall out on the ground like it may in a cheap fanny pack.

Dr. Winston, congratulate your wife when she gets her "LICENSE" next month!
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
hiker

Post by hiker »

This one isn't cheap but it's first rate quality. I wear it when hiking at about the 11 o-clock position. I guarantee the draw is extremely quick. Has room for keys, etc. & is perfect in summer with shorts & t-shirt. Has an internal holster (available 3 sizes) that adjusts for angle etc.

Click on the image to see two views (open/closed.) If you want to see in person & are near Columbus they stock them at New Albany Shooting Range. As others have said, pull a leather tab & the front breaks away - pealing both zippers at once - While the right hand draws: http://www.coronadoleather.com/view.aspx?i=96&c=3&p=0
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Fanny Pack

Post by sabalo »

Ebay has 2 pages of fanny pack holsters starting at about $9.00 on up.
Just search with the term "fanny pack holster".
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
Tolew

Post by Tolew »

My fanny pack has a string with a knot at the end inside the pack you just pull it out a little the zip the zippers up to either side of it.when you need to draw you grab the string pull out wards the whole front of the fanny pack drops down exposing the holster. Im pretty sure its almost as fast as clearing your clothing to get to your other type holsters.

ps. if you havent so far I would recomend watching a ccw video. they show lots of ways to carry and correct ways to draw your gun. I dont remember the name of the video but I did enjoy most of it.
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

The way it was explained to me, the fanny pack acts as a holster and the fanny pack is in plain sight. If you inform the officer with the usual I'm CHL and I'm armed, but altered to be more like "...and I'm currently carrying in my belt pouch," you're in plain sight.
I would be wary about that... IANAL, but the wording in the law is such that I'd think that the gun needs to be visible. I doubt that would hold up in court, and no sense being the test case. Most cops would probably say the gun isn't visible, or that they couldn't tell that the fanny pack was a holster... and the whole "point" of the law (insofar as there was a point) was to make the police "safer" by allowing them to see where the gun(s) were.

Secondly, from the original poster, the "quick draw" is not likely to be THAT much of an issue. Getting to the gun in a reasonable amount of time, yes, that's important. Trying to be Wyatt Earp and going for the "quick draw" is more likely to lead to trouble, IMHO.
DWCol

Post by DWCol »

Correct. The wording of the law states that the GUN has to be in plain sight, not the holster. Bit of a contradiction in terms since the holster (by definition) conceals at least part of the gun, but hey. We all know the plain sight thing isn't defined properly anyway.
Dr. Winston

Post by Dr. Winston »

Thanks all for the helpful replies! Linda, Thanks for the well wishes for my wife. She finished her class and passed her test last night with a 90%! I'm really proud of the way she's taking this bull by the horns.
Tomorrow, she goes to the range to qualify and be timed, but I have no doubts that she'll do fine there either.

No I guess I just have to 'toe the line' and behave, cause the girl's packin! :shock:
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
DWCol

Post by DWCol »

Fanny Packin'? :lol:
Rach212

Post by Rach212 »

I have a fanny pack with a holster. It's all in the practice, practice, practice. Unloaded of course! It can also be locked through the holes on the 2 zipper pulls with a small luggage lock, therefore it is a locked case in plain sight.

Keep on fighting the good fight!
Rachelle