Don't forget . . . . -- hang onto waistband in the restroom

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Psouper

Don't forget . . . . -- hang onto waistband in the restroom

Post by Psouper »

[Title edited for more information. Please be as descriptive as possible. --MeanStreaker.]

To hang onto your waistband in the restroom.

Last night I was in the ladies' room at Meijers when my revolver fell out of my iwb holster and clattered on the tile floor. There were other people in there too. Yikes!
I was sure that security was going to be waiting for me upon my exit . . . .

:oops:
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Luckily I was at home the only time it happened to me just after I started carrying. Open top IWB holster and a 45acp.
Jerry Morris

Post by Jerry Morris »

I picked up a habit from a guy who learned the hard way, I always keep my handgun in my hand, while on "the throne". This is a vulnerable time.

I have also heard guns have been snatched by the person in the next stall. And do not hang one on the coat hook, if there is one. They have been forgotten and left hanging by the owner.

For the guys, the urinal is a trap. I go set down. And I am quite prepared if someone tries to kick in the stall door. This situation does not commonly occur for me anymore. But, I once lived in a rougher location.

Jerry
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Jerry Morris wrote:I picked up a habit from a guy who learned the hard way, I always keep my handgun in my hand, while on "the throne". This is a vulnerable time.

Jerry
I assume you mean in your holster, though. I would suggest that removing the gun from the holster and holding while doing you other buisness creates a safety risk as you are not paying full attention to the gun in your hand.

A really good holster should easily be able to hold the gun in place while it is moved around a bit as you unclothe/re-clothe.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Jerry Morris

Post by Jerry Morris »

Mr. Glock wrote:

I assume you mean in your holster, though. I would suggest that removing the gun from the holster and holding while doing you other buisness creates a safety risk as you are not paying full attention to the gun in your hand.

A really good holster should easily be able to hold the gun in place while it is moved around a bit as you unclothe/re-clothe.
While I am doing the tactile stuff, yes it is in the holster. While I am sitting, no, the pistol is in hand. If, for some reason, I need both hands before I stand and holster the firearm, I have a "jock-pocket" to nest it in. I replied to someone who had theirs go to the floor. This is unsafe, as well.

Examine the next stall you are in and see how much you can see in the next stall. It is not a secure place to be in, or leave a firearm hanging around. People have had their legs grabbed and drug half under the door and they were then beaten "snotless". You are very vulnerable in this situation.

You do not want your firearm hanging down within reach of anyone! It is safer in my hand, than anywhere else in that stall. Needless to say, I never use the stalls, unless the need is very urgently pressing. ;)

This is another reason to avoid going to risky places. If you ain't there, nothing can happen to you there.

Jerry
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

Yall must have some shoddy holsters IMO. I carry my G21 in a CTAC and I can literally turn it upside down and shake the holster without the pistol falling out yet I can still easily draw it out of the CTAC when needed.

That said, I try to avoid going to public restrooms, but when I can't for one reason or another I just keep my hand firmly on my pistol.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
Jerry Morris

Post by Jerry Morris »

captainstormy wrote:Yall must have some shoddy holsters IMO. I carry my G21 in a CTAC and I can literally turn it upside down and shake the holster without the pistol falling out yet I can still easily draw it out of the CTAC when needed.

That said, I try to avoid going to public restrooms, but when I can't for one reason or another I just keep my hand firmly on my pistol.
Where you replying to me? I never said my firearm was falling out of the holster. I said it was too low and too close to a perceived threat. I don't think the OP had hers fall out, either. With hers, I suspect the holster just dropped. Revolvers are more wedge shaped and more prone to this kind of thing, though.

Jerry
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

It can be in holster and not on the floor...it can still be on the mid/upper thigh with your hand on the grip. A little safer and still accessable.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Zen

Post by Zen »

I always loosely re-buckle my belt so I can keep some tension on it at about knee level, upright and accessible.

{Edited - jabeatty}
Never submit, comply or follow the commands of an attacker...

OFCC & NRA Member
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

captainstormy wrote:Yall must have some shoddy holsters IMO. I carry my G21 in a CTAC and I can literally turn it upside down and shake the holster without the pistol falling out yet I can still easily draw it out of the CTAC when needed.

I don't set the tension screw on my leather IWB holsters. My belt will hold the firearm in place when my pants are up. My blade tech holsters hold my revolvers fine, in any position, but are OWB's. I use them for field use with the 686 and 629 or my little j frame bug I bowhunt with.
"I think the public has an expectation that we can make the world a safer place in which to live through laws and technology. "
Steve Rollins 10 year SAR veteran on Mt. Hood
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

C'mon, guys! This is the Women's Issues forum... :roll:
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Jerry Morris

Post by Jerry Morris »

TunnelRat wrote:C'mon, guys! This is the Women's Issues forum... :roll:
And I believe this particular issue applies to the women, even more than the guys. The situation is a vulnerable one. Sorry for the clowning around.

Jerry
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

Jerry Morris wrote:

Where you replying to me? I never said my firearm was falling out of the holster. I said it was too low and too close to a perceived threat. I don't think the OP had hers fall out, either. With hers, I suspect the holster just dropped. Revolvers are more wedge shaped and more prone to this kind of thing, though.

Jerry
I wasn't replying to anyone in perticular but making an observation. A pistol should not be able to fall out of holster no matter what type it is. I certainly agree that you should keep your hand on your weapon while in a public rest room.

I pull my pants back up to my knees so that all anyone could see would be my boots and jeans but I still keep my hand on the grip of my pistol ready to draw/secure the weapon as need be.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
Sevesteen

Post by Sevesteen »

I've been in the habit of looping the end of my belt in behind the first beltloop since before CCW--I used to carry a phone and/or PDA on that side, and looping kept it from sliding off.

If I'm not pocket carrying, it is in a Crossbreed or Minotaur, both with Comp-tac C clips. If I have to sit, I can spread my legs a bit and keep the holster above the level of the stall divider. I've got a couple pairs of shorts that needed the belt to be buckled again to keep everything stable, but most pants don't need that.

Both my holsters will hold a pistol when upside down.
Zen

Post by Zen »

TunnelRat wrote:C'mon, guys! This is the Women's Issues forum... :roll:
I am sorry if my attempt at humor was out of line. I apologize.

My main point was that I keep my handgun ready and accessible at all times. I would think that would be even more important for women.
Never submit, comply or follow the commands of an attacker...

OFCC & NRA Member