Shooting while breastfeeding

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

emilie

Shooting while breastfeeding

Post by emilie »

Hi all
I am new to the forums, my hubby joined a few weeks ago and told me about the helpful information here, so I decided to check it out.

I have read the topic about shooting while pregnant, but my concern is that I am currently still breastfeeding our son and have been unable to find any information on whether or not it is safe to shoot while doing so.

If anyone has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

I can't think of any reason it would be a problem.

You should not have any lead partical buildup since you would be covered with at least two layers of clothing, but if this is a worry, then washing up with soap and water before feeding will take care of it.

I can not think of ANYTHING else that would cause you any problems.

Buckshot
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Buckshot wrote:I can not think of ANYTHING else that would cause you any problems.
One other possibility, but it's difficult to approach the matter tactfully. I'll try.

Be more aware (than you might be if not breast feeding) of the need for proper coverage, especially if shooting a semi-automatic. Empty brass has a tendency to land exactly where you'd prefer it didn't, and clothing that's conducive to and convenient for feeding may not be the sort that provides excellent protection at the range.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

:shock:
It might be difficult to hold the baby and the gun at the same time, and the baby will definitely need eye and ear protection.

:lol:
Sorry, I had to. :P
Really, I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't be safe, especially if you shoot at an outdoor range, and have someone else clean the guns (or wear latex gloves). Just wash up afterwards. Lots of folks forget that...I see them eating with their leady hands minutes after leaving the range.
Ohio Medical Reserve Corps -- volunteer today!

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
caz263

Post by caz263 »

LOL
"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

Thomas Jefferson
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Emilie:

Charles beat me to the "holding the baby" part....

He's correct about the lead. I wouldn't bring the baby onto the range itself (noise and lead in the air), but doing your best to avoid ingesting the lead - washing your hands, using a range that's well ventilated (or outdoors), etc., should be sufficient.

I would suggest getting somebody else to do the initial gun cleaning. Once the gun's wiped down with solvent or something like that, the lead should be sufficiently gone to allow you to do the final detail work and lubrication. Unless you really want your "helper" to do the cleaning ;) . However, some of those solvents and lubricants might still get into things - stick with the gloves regardless.

(I used to work with a gal who paid somebody a pile to paint her home's interior walls, and then did the baseboards herself. Cute, but a perfectionist.)

One thing you might do is to check your blood lead levels as a baseline before hitting the range for the first time, and then check it again after a couple of range sessions. If it's "up", you probably need to be more careful, or stop shooting for a while - spread out the visits more.

The trick may be in finding a doctor and/or lab who won't go goofy about why you're testing. Too many physicians believe that guns in the house are grounds to call Children's Services....

Tell 'em you're doing home-made stained glass. (Pick up a kit and make a pendant or something - just not something you'd wear in contact with bare skin.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

charles1198 wrote::shock:
It might be difficult to hold the baby and the gun at the same time, and the baby will definitely need eye and ear protection.
I would think that partially de-robing at a range filled with men might create issues? Well, you are armed at least. :oops: But start the baby out on a .17 or .22 first. :D
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Psouper

Post by Psouper »

Emilie -- I've spent about 13 years of my life as a breastfeeding mother.
Go ahead and enjoy your hobbies.
Rest assured that even if there were contaminents in your breastmilk, it's still better for your babies than artificial baby milk.
logos

Post by logos »

"Breastfeeding is generally safe for women with elevated blood lead levels. However, if a mother with an elevated blood lead level is breastfeeding, the infant's blood lead level should be carefully and frequently monitored. This should be performed within two weeks of baseline measurement and then at least monthly. If the infant's blood lead level is 10 μg/dL or greater and rising, and no remediable environmental source of lead can be detected, breastfeeding should be discouraged."
http://www.health.state.ny.us/environme ... /phc10.htm

Interesting question. From what I gather, there is not much to be concerned about. But, it certainly can't hurt to take measures to minimize exposure. Of course, it's always advisable to consult your physician on matters such as this.

I did a little poking around, and it seems that only a small fraction of the mother's blood lead level will be excreted in breast milk (estimates of what fraction actually vary quite a bit though from study to study...). I found this a little surprising, but it looks like the reason is that most of the serum lead is bound up by red blood cells.

Also intersting, it seems that there is evidence that women with previous large lead exposures can have significant rises in blood lead levels during nursing owing to increased demand for calcium (calcuim and lead, which the body can "confuse" for calcium, are stored in the bones and released when needed).
Derek

Post by Derek »

thank you all for the answers which have been very helpfull...I had to go shooting without her this weekend while we waited on some responses, so she will be happy to read these

She will respond to everyone as soon as she gets a chance. She is just real busy with caring for the baby and college....

thanx again :D
emilie

Post by emilie »

hi everyone :D
thank you so much for all the responses (and the laughs!!! :lol:)
I am really eager to get back onto the range... and yeah I missed out this weekend when derek went :(
but now I can feel more assured that it is safe to go.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

It's nice of Derek to post your picture as his avatar.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Javelin Man wrote:It's nice of Derek to post your picture as his avatar.
I was wondering the same thing.....
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Figured the most you can do is give some of the lead to the baby in the milk, All that will do is make him hungry for more shootin in the future!! :wink: :lol:

( HEY MA!! YA RAISIN THE KEED ON MILK OR BEER?? )
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS