Passenger w/no CHL

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

docachna

Passenger w/no CHL

Post by docachna »

Coming to Cbus (a/k/a Scioto City :? ) Thursday. Since I left OH 8 years back, my recollection of OH law is foggy as to circumstances where my wife (no CHL) is in the car with me. I haven't had to think about her exposure, as down here, no CHL is required to have a pistol in your MV. It's considered part of your domicile. I know there have been a number of changes to OH law since 2012. I'm good as far as it goes for myself - it's what I have to watch out for with her that has me thinking.

* Under what circumstances can I exit the car and leave her in the car, with a pistol there (and where can it be or not be while I'm out) ?
* Can we drive with a second pistol in the door pocket on her side (mine is in the center console or in the driver's side door pocket) ?

Any tips appreciated.

And before you suggest it -- no, we're not going near downtown OR High St. Anywhere else, I'll be checking Google Maps frequently for traffic clogs ahead.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Passenger w/no CHL

Post by JustaShooter »

If you exit the vehicle, any handguns must be unloaded, cased, and any loaded mags or speed loaders stored separately (in a compartment only reachable by exiting the vehicle *OR* in a closed container that provides complete and separate enclosure from the handgun, and that closes with a fastener of some kind, like velcro, snap, buckle, etc.)

Although the exception for having a loaded handgun in the vehicle appears to be comprehensive, I would absolutely *not* have a 2nd gun under her control.

Here's a link to the section of current Ohio law covering transport in a motor vehicle: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!