Wrist Support Braced AK Draco Traffic Stop??

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Col Duke

Wrist Support Braced AK Draco Traffic Stop??

Post by Col Duke »

Has anyone ever been pulled over with a wrist support braced pistol in your car? I always carry my Draco in a case, unloaded, and in the trunk to and from the range, and know I'm obligated to report I have it if stopped. I have often wondered if/how state and local law enforcement officers would react when they saw it? Will they know it's legally a handgun and not a SBR? Anyone ever had this experience?
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Wrist Support Braced AK Draco Traffic Stop??

Post by Mr. Glock »

Although I could be corrected, if you are carrying a cased and unloaded firearm of any sort in a compartment not accessible to you without leaving your vehicle (ie the trunk), then that does not fall under the CHL notification requirement.

Mostly because that’s not carrying concealed in any fashion.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Col Duke

Post by Col Duke »

[quote="Mr. Glock"]Although I could be corrected, if you are carrying a cased and unloaded firearm of any sort in a compartment not accessible to you without leaving your vehicle (ie the trunk), then that does not fall under the CHL notification requirement.

Ok, fair enough, I'll take your word for it. The real question is, has anyone ever been pulled with a wrist support braced pistol in the car? How did the LEO react? Did the officer understand the weapon was legal?
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Col Duke wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:Although I could be corrected, if you are carrying a cased and unloaded firearm of any sort in a compartment not accessible to you without leaving your vehicle (ie the trunk), then that does not fall under the CHL notification requirement.

Ok, fair enough, I'll take your word for it. The real question is, has anyone ever been pulled with a wrist support braced pistol in the car? How did the LEO react? Did the officer understand the weapon was legal?

It is a case by case basis. Some officers will understand the law, others won't, some will care, some won't, mix and match all of the above. There is no routine answer that can be given.

My personal perspective - if it looks at all like a rifle, uneducated or anti-gun folks, regardless profession, they will treat it as a short barreled rifle. The number of shooters that wear a badge is limited - the number of administrators that wear a badge is high.

Know the law, have the law referenced and printed kept with the firearm if you're concerned about it, be polite, and follow the federal/state laws that are applicable. Just because you follow the law doesn't mean you won't be treated as someone who breaks the law.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Col Duke

Post by Col Duke »

jeep45238 wrote:
Col Duke wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:Although I could be corrected, if you are carrying a cased and unloaded firearm of any sort in a compartment not accessible to you without leaving your vehicle (ie the trunk), then that does not fall under the CHL notification requirement.

It is a case by case basis. Some officers will understand the law, others won't, some will care, some won't, mix and match all of the above. There is no routine answer that can be given.

My personal perspective - if it looks at all like a rifle, uneducated or anti-gun folks, regardless profession, they will treat it as a short barreled rifle. The number of shooters that wear a badge is limited - the number of administrators that wear a badge is high.

Know the law, have the law referenced and printed kept with the firearm if you're concerned about it, be polite, and follow the federal/state laws that are applicable. Just because you follow the law doesn't mean you won't be treated as someone who breaks the law.

All very sensible advice and observations, thank you. Still looking for anyone who has had the actual experience of being pulled over with a wrist brace supported pistol in your automobile. Thanks.