Conneticut RKBA and a pedestrian stop

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Conneticut RKBA and a pedestrian stop

Post by bignflnut »

Exercising his rights...though I'm certain it will be "deceptively edited" or something to excuse these crimes.
Happy 4th of July.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Conneticut RKBA and a pedestrian stop

Post by kcclark »

A funny example of why the cops should not take something from you when they are not familiar with how to operate it.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Lying SOB’s !!!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
docachna

Post by docachna »

Well, apparently the troopers may be right.
New Hampshire law is stricter than federal and many other states' laws. New Hampshire is a "two-party" or "all-party" state where every party to a conversation has to agree to the recording. The New Hampshire statute is RSA 570-A, Wiretapping and Eavesdropping. Intentional violations of RSA 570-A can result in a class B felony or a misdemeanor, as well as money damages.
https://www.nhpublaw.org/nh.law.about/law/102#top

I doubt the "public's right to know" would trump the statute, unless there is a specific exception for recording LEO's, which I did not locate. There is (of course) an exception in 570-A-II:

(j) A uniformed law enforcement officer to make an audio recording in conjunction with a video recording of a routine stop performed in the ordinary course of patrol duties on any way as defined by RSA 259:125, provided that the officer shall first give notification of such recording to the party to the communication.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

It looked like the troopers made the recording themselves so I guess that makes them party to the conversation.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

The incident occurred in Connecticut, not New Hampshire. Regardless this is an area of law where simply reading the statute is not enough. There is a fairly substantial court history originating from many of these so-called "two party" states that have said state law notwithstanding, the public has a constitutional right to record public officials carrying out their duties in a public place so long as the individual doing the recording is not meaningfully interfering with those public officials. At the core, it's a protected first amendment activity. I'm not aware of any court agreeing that the inside of a police cruiser out in public is not also a public place.

Cities are paying out when they screw this up, and pointing to restrictive state laws has been no defense.