Stop in Moraine

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Stop in Moraine

Post by charliej47 »

A buddy of min was driving home and did not slow down fast enough and got pulled over for doing 45 in a 35.

He was NOT carrying. When the officer came to the window, he ask for the standard items and my buddy complied.

After writing as ticket, the officer informed my buddy that he could be arrested for not "informing". My buddy was not carrying at the time. My buddy stated to the officer that he thought he had to inform only when carrying. The officer told him that he had to inform every time whether or not he was carrying.

When I was talking to my buddy about this, I told him he needed to contact the police department and talk to someone about this as the officer was incorrect.

So far my buddy has not done anything.
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Stop in Moraine

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

charliej47 wrote:After writing as ticket, the officer informed my buddy that he could be arrested for not "informing". My buddy was not carrying at the time. My buddy stated to the officer that he thought he had to inform only when carrying. The officer told him that he had to inform every time whether or not he was carrying.

When I was talking to my buddy about this, I told him he needed to contact the police department and talk to someone about this as the officer was incorrect.

FWIW you're right, but it sounds like your buddy doesn't want to get into it with the cops, and that's his choice.
I honestly wonder what's going to happen when this cop eventually charges somebody. The statute is Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle. I'd really like to see what happens when the prosecutor asks him where the firearm is and the cop says there wasn't one.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Was it a village police officer, county law enforcement or oshp ??

Please ask, as this needs to be rectified.

To many officers out there don't know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

15 years and this crap is still happening. :roll:
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

charliej47 wrote:A buddy of min was driving home and did not slow down fast enough and got pulled over for doing 45 in a 35.

He was NOT carrying. When the officer came to the window, he ask for the standard items and my buddy complied.

After writing as ticket, the officer informed my buddy that he could be arrested for not "informing". My buddy was not carrying at the time. My buddy stated to the officer that he thought he had to inform only when carrying. The officer told him that he had to inform every time whether or not he was carrying.

I agree, he should go talk to the Officers boss. I did this with a Sgt in my County Sheriff dept. The Sheriff rolled his eyes and said "are you kidding me?". I made it clear I was not trying to jam up the individual Deputy, and just asked him to address the issue in a general way without singling anybody out.

Anybody could write a letter to the department in the OP case I suppose and give them a heads up on the issue.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

WeinerDog wrote:15 years and this crap is still happening. :roll:
  1. Because there are no consequences for it.
  2. Because there are excuses made for it.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.