Encounter with Stark County Sheriff

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

captmud

Encounter with Stark County Sheriff

Post by captmud »

With out going into too many details because of pending actions, I opened the door one day to 4 sheriff deputies and a search warrant. Relates to nothing violent or felony. White collar issue is about all I can say. They came in and wanted to seizure Computers, some other stuff, also all firearms and knives. I at the time was wearing a firearm of which I promptly notified. They did seize that weapon along with all other firearms but only the knife I was carrying. They were very respectfull, and I treated them the same way. Some good natured humor, he picked up a container of loaded ar15 mags and stated when its hits the fan hes coming to my house. They unloaded each weapon and left all mags and ammo at the house. Everything was list on the paperwork. They are going to be returned soon im told. All in all the interaction was good considering. As a Note I was not arrested and no charges have been filed. The thing that concerns me most is now they have a list of all my firearms. I must say though that the Deputies were not fanatics and had no problem with citizens having weapons. I was also asked were to buy some of them.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Encounter with Stark County Sheriff

Post by JustaShooter »

If you can answer this, did the warrant specify the seizure of your firearms and knives, as well as your computer equipment?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
captmud

Post by captmud »

yes sir it did, unfortunately
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

That is interesting if it is a white collar investigation unless it is believed they were purchased with converted funds of some type. I know the OP can't speak to that issue but it seems to me that ordering the seizure of firearms as part of a search warrant if it wasn't warranted (pun entirely intended) seems troubling to me.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Something medical.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
captmud

Post by captmud »

I questioned why the warrant included guns and was told they took anything in the scope of the warrant. Apparently they use a standard search warrant that includes these items. Just goes to show how easy they can confiscate things. Also this incident occurred over 6 months ago as I was hesitant to say anything to quick. Hopefully I will hear something in about a week.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Any updates on this ?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
captmud

Post by captmud »

Spoke with the deputy about 2 hours ago. They are waiting on the prosecuter to go to the grand jury, and now they say it will be in june before they do anything
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, nine months (as of June) and no charges filed? :?

You DO have a lawyer, right?
MyWifeSaidYes
captmud

Post by captmud »

no I don't. charges aren't going to be filed against me, but they wont release anything until indictments are file on some of the others
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

captmud wrote:I questioned why the warrant included guns and was told they took anything in the scope of the warrant. Apparently they use a standard search warrant that includes these items. Just goes to show how easy they can confiscate things. Also this incident occurred over 6 months ago as I was hesitant to say anything to quick. Hopefully I will hear something in about a week.
The idea of a standard search warrant that includes anything is concerning to me. I thought that a warrant has to be justified by a sworn statement and I would think that should extend to the items to be siezed and the reasons for doing so. But that's just my non lawyer opinion.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

no I don't. charges aren't going to be filed against me, but they wont release anything until indictments are file on some of the others
...and OTHER famous last words. Speaking of words and if you haven't already done so, IMHO you should at least do a preliminary consult with an attorney. ''Some of the others'' oh, then they say this, they say that...all the while your schtuff is still involved.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
captmud

Post by captmud »

Update received call this morning to set up appointment with property clerk to get all items back. free and clear.
machinegunkelly

Post by machinegunkelly »

Capt
Myself and I would think others would be interested to know the condition of your property, when it is returned.
Glad that your getting it back.
MGK
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I hope it all comes out well. Hopefully you were not at risk due to the others being indicted. I wonder about use of boilerplate language seizing firearms when it is not called for. IE, if they are investigating embezzlement at your workplace involving others why do they need to take your firearms away?
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.