Leo encounter Bellefontaine, Ohio

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

trent
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Leo encounter Bellefontaine, Ohio

Post by trent »

A driver rear ended my pickup truck in the middle of Downtown Bellefontaine Ohio.
When the Bellefontaine Leo arrived I already had my CCW card, Driver's license, and Insurance card in my hand.
As soon as he came up to my window I handed him my cards and said, " Hello Officer Sir, I have a concealed carry license and my Glock 19 is on my right hip in an inside waste band holster".
He said, "OK" and took my cards and instructed me to pull into a parking lot that was beside me.
After pulling into the parking lot he approached after a few minutes and said, "You have a CCW and you have it on you? I said, "Yes sir".
He then said in a casual no big deal way, "Please make it safe and please put it in your console or glove compartment".
I pulled it out of my IWB holster, removed the magazine, I didn't have a round in the chamber, I racked it and locked it back, and placed the magazine and firearm in the center console without any hesitations or mishaps, demonstrating complete confidence and control of the firearm.
He said, "Thank you sir".
And he never mentioned anything about it after that.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Leo encounter Bellefontaine, Ohio

Post by Gramps »

I had two encounters in the same day for 1 accident (not my fault) one city and other a sheriff, smooth as silk with both.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Glad things went well, I don't like having to handle my firearm when not necessary. I couldn't see where that would make anyone safer.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

re: ''He then said in a casual no big deal way, "Please make it safe and please put it in your console or glove compartment". ''

How often is this these days? I would expect this as an Officer's position or instructions eight years, ten years ago.

You did not mention towing. In the need of a tow truck and Officer is still on site, would it be required by law to notify the Officer of retrieval before tow?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
wls

Post by wls »

My wife and I were in an accident turning into our complex, rear ended by a young driver. Sheriff and EMT were called, I reported to the first deputy to arrive that I was a CCW and carrying......no problem. Probably another 4 or 5 deputies arrived, must have been a real slow day, and I could hear the first deputy informing the others of my CC W status. I was never asked to remove the pistol and secure it........IMO, being asked to “secure” a weapon from an already “secure” place on your hip is an overreach.

I fully support LEO’s, tough job they have and now being targets frequently, but they need to realize CCW holders are not the enemy. Not sure I understand the LEO’s request.....
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

I would be tempted to ask if it might not be wiser to leave my weapon where it is.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

This ^^ especially in this scenario as all the CHL permitee had to do to render the handgun completely cartridge free was drop the magazine
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

In no way are we bashing or even questioning the OP, you did just fine and the LEO seemed comfortable with your actions. You did well. :)

We're questioning why the LEO didn't think you had the handgun in a safe place already. :?:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

^^ yes ^^ correct ^^ :wink:

Also hoping the aftermath all goes well, no injuries, other driver has insurance, you get a loaner vehicle if needed etc.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
wls

Post by wls »

Javelin Man wrote:In no way are we bashing or even questioning the OP, you did just fine and the LEO seemed comfortable with your actions. You did well. :)

We're questioning why the LEO didn't think you had the handgun in a safe place already. :?:
Absolutely! You followed the LEO’s instructions....only question is why did the LEO give those instructions.

I do, however,have a question for you...Why were you carrying an “empty” gun? If your not comfortable carrying with a loaded chamber, take some training to gain proficiency and confidence. You really need to carry a “loaded” pistol.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

BS on this LEO....I believe the law states that at NO TIME are you to touch you're handgun in the presence of a LEO..I sure as hell am not...I don't care what the officer says.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I'm not bashing here but.....to the OP...LOCK AND LOAD Dude.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

wls wrote:My wife and I were in an accident turning into our complex, rear ended by a young driver. Sheriff and EMT were called, I reported to the first deputy to arrive that I was a CCW and carrying......no problem. Probably another 4 or 5 deputies arrived, must have been a real slow day, and I could hear the first deputy informing the others of my CC W status. I was never asked to remove the pistol and secure it........IMO, being asked to “secure” a weapon from an already “secure” place on your hip is an overreach.

I fully support LEO’s, tough job they have and now being targets frequently, but they need to realize CCW holders are not the enemy. Not sure I understand the LEO’s request.....
I guess I could understand it if the LEO felt there was a possibility of him or her having to take some kind of punitive action against the driver (like an arrest) but if that was the case you wouldn't want to ask that question a few minutes later.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I'm not bashing here but.....to the OP...LOCK AND LOAD Dude.
You can't "lock" a Glock :)

Although I don't personally carry chamber empty, I understand why some people do in some circumstances. In the case of one person I know, it's chamber empty or no semi auto at all, not up to them. As long as someone is fully aware of why they are doing it, and the limitations and risks involved, it is still generally preferable to not having a gun on you at all.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

M-Quigley wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:I'm not bashing here but.....to the OP...LOCK AND LOAD Dude.
You can't "lock" a Glock :)

Although I don't personally carry chamber empty, I understand why some people do in some circumstances. In the case of one person I know, it's chamber empty or no semi auto at all, not up to them. As long as someone is fully aware of why they are doing it, and the limitations and risks involved, it is still generally preferable to not having a gun on you at all.
Carmen is correct and you are mistaken. Historically, in the world of firearms... "lock" means "to put in to full battery", locked and loaded means a chambered round and the action is closed and prepared to fire.

Side note, I am in full 100% agreement that any armed person needs his semiauto pistol ready to be used with one hand and if he has a training or a confidence issue with a chambered round, he is carrying the WRONG handgun and/or needs to train, research or otherwise get on board with modern handguns.

I don't get the final word -- but I'm wholly confident in my strong opinion and regardless of how that opinion may be received, I offer it fully with the intention of helping the OP.

Carry chambered, learn why, for your own good. If you cannot get on board with no manual safety on a modern striker fired handgun -- get a different handgun immediately.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!