Interaction with LEOs

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Interaction with LEOs

Post by MrMagoo »

I'd like to hear from people who have had interaction with law enforcement where your identification has not immediately been asked for when the encounter started, and your experiences at these times (how long did it take before your driver license or ID was asked for). It doesn't make any difference if you were armed or not at the time. The reason for asking this is that for years we have been hearing notification is for officer safety. Substute HB 142 changes "promptly notify" to notification when driver license or ID is asked for. If officer safety is such a concern for notification, are there times when an LEO will interact with an individual for a period of time before askiing for a driver license or ID? If so, this shoots holes in the LE argument that notification is for officer safety. I am attempting to get a meeting with the bill sponsor to discuss this and would like some hard facts to back me up. Thank you, Gary
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Interaction with LEOs

Post by willbird »

MrMagoo wrote:I'd like to hear from people who have had interaction with law enforcement where your identification has not immediately been asked for when the encounter started, and your experiences at these times (how long did it take before your driver license or ID was asked for). It doesn't make any difference if you were armed or not at the time. The reason for asking this is that for years we have been hearing notification is for officer safety. Substute HB 142 changes "promptly notify" to notification when driver license or ID is asked for. If officer safety is such a concern for notification, are there times when an LEO will interact with an individual for a period of time before askiing for a driver license or ID? If so, this shoots holes in the LE argument that notification is for officer safety. I am attempting to get a meeting with the bill sponsor to discuss this and would like some hard facts to back me up. Thank you, Gary

I have gotten really good at not having any reason to interact with LEO. The last time was a truck/deer strike. The Sgt Deputy Sheriff got all my info, asked me a couple times how fast I was going (60 in 55, that is what I run) then when we are ALL done he says "Is there something you forgot to tell me?". I said "No" (I was puzzled). He said "do you have a CCW?" I said "yes". He said "You HAVE to tell me you have a CCW".

OH.....hmm

I said "I do not have a firearm on my person or in the vehicle, I am NOT required to notify you unless I am armed or have a firearm in the vehicle". I went on to tell him I was a Certified Instructor and taught many classes so I knew the law.

He replied "Well it is not something we would ever CHARGE a person with but we appreciate it as a courtesy". I made an apt and went and talked with the Sheriff about it, stressed I was not trying to jam the guy up, but expressed that I was concerned as he was a Sgt and plainly did not know the law.

Well back to your question.....obviously to that Sgt at 11pm at night on a dark and empty road, being notified was something he was not really worried about until all other business was concluded :-).

There is also the issue of when an LEO comes on scene and your gun is locked in the vehicle....if your business with the LEO does not require you to unlock and open the vehicle then IMHO notification is not required by law.

BUT if he asks to see registration and proof of insurance, suddenly you have to notify, and I saw an OSHP trooper blow a gasket over that. He showed up while I was being pulled from ditch with wrecker, so he wrote a report. My gun was locked in the car during our initial contact. He asked to see registration and proof of insurance...and I notified then because I was entering the vehicle with him present.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I was walking in my driveway when a black SUV pulled in and two LEO's identified themselves and asked questions about my neighbor. After a few questions, I asked if I should inform that I was licensed and currently carrying at the time. They chuckled and said no, but thank you very much for informing anyway.

Other than that, I can't think of a time I wasn't asked for ID right away, but those were few and I was the driver of the vehicle, fully expected to produce ID.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I once witnessed an accident while driving and stopped to assist. It was only after the driver was being loaded into the ambulance that an officer approached me, asked what I saw and my name and contact information. Never did ask to see ID.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

WestonDon wrote:I once witnessed an accident while driving and stopped to assist. It was only after the driver was being loaded into the ambulance that an officer approached me, asked what I saw and my name and contact information. Never did ask to see ID.
And the officer lived to go home that night!!?? :shock:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

WestonDon wrote:I once witnessed an accident while driving and stopped to assist. It was only after the driver was being loaded into the ambulance that an officer approached me, asked what I saw and my name and contact information. Never did ask to see ID.
Thanks for your information. Can you tell me when and where the accident was? Was it a trooper, sheriff or local police that you interacted with? Gary
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

My one required notification happened in the Cleveland Metroparks. I was riding my bike when I was stopped by a ranger. He informed me I needed to be out of that section of the park within the next 20 minutes as deer culling was about to begin. I informed him and told him I was on my way out anyway. He said, "OK" and that was it. He never asked for any ID.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

When my previous car was acting up last month, I got to the shoulder of I-75 south at about mile marker 28, put my hood up, and called AAA. While waiting, an OSHP trooper pulled up behind me and soon came to my passenger side window. He first asked if I was okay. First words out of MY mouth were "I have a concealed carry license and am required by law to inform you that I am armed." Then I answered his question, and told him the tow truck was on its way. He asked where the gun was, I said "On my right hip." Trooper merely nodded and said okay. He never did ask to see driver's or carry license. He was gone in about thirty more seconds.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Gary, will stories from folks on this forum really carry any weight, versus uniformed OSHP big wigs who are in the Statehouse interacting with lawmakers on a regular basis anyway?

********************************************************************************
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:Gary, will stories from folks on this forum really carry any weight, versus uniformed OSHP big wigs who are in the Statehouse interacting with lawmakers on a regular basis anyway?
Yes, because Gary is pressuring OSHP to answer how the three options below improve officer safety at all....

1) Informing about gun promptly
2) Informing about gun only after asked for ID
3) Informing about gun only after asked specifically about gun

We all know none of them change officer safety, but we want OSHP to answer how they would handle each of them differently. Failure to answer means those at the statehouse may realize there really isn't any difference and OSHP is just blowing smoke over nothing.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:When my previous car was acting up last month, I got to the shoulder of I-75 south at about mile marker 28, put my hood up, and called AAA. While waiting, an OSHP trooper pulled up behind me and soon came to my passenger side window. He first asked if I was okay. First words out of MY mouth were "I have a concealed carry license and am required by law to inform you that I am armed." Then I answered his question, and told him the tow truck was on its way. He asked where the gun was, I said "On my right hip." Trooper merely nodded and said okay. He never did ask to see driver's or carry license. He was gone in about thirty more seconds.
He was most likely scared to death when he saw you.. :P
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay, I hope it provides traction. My encounter was within the last few weeks, and involved one of our OSHP "friends", as you saw. I had no inclination to get the officer's name, because he did didn't stay around long enough to do much of anything positive or negative. Happened just south of the rest area (lousy timing!) near exit #29; this trooper would have been from the Hamilton, Lebanon, or Blue Ash station, in that order of likelihood, right?

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I had someone at gun point ...called the law and when they showed up I had my gun holstered and hands up....they new I had a CHL..before they got there.No mention of it by me at all.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

willbird wrote:I have gotten really good at not having any reason to interact with LEO. The last time was a truck/deer strike. The Sgt Deputy Sheriff got all my info, asked me a couple times how fast I was going (60 in 55, that is what I run) then when we are ALL done he says "Is there something you forgot to tell me?". I said "No" (I was puzzled). He said "do you have a CCW?" I said "yes". He said "You HAVE to tell me you have a CCW".

OH.....hmm

I said "I do not have a firearm on my person or in the vehicle, I am NOT required to notify you unless I am armed or have a firearm in the vehicle". I went on to tell him I was a Certified Instructor and taught many classes so I knew the law.

He replied "Well it is not something we would ever CHARGE a person with but we appreciate it as a courtesy". I made an apt and went and talked with the Sheriff about it, stressed I was not trying to jam the guy up, but expressed that I was concerned as he was a Sgt and plainly did not know the law.

Well back to your question.....obviously to that Sgt at 11pm at night on a dark and empty road, being notified was something he was not really worried about until all other business was concluded :-).

There is also the issue of when an LEO comes on scene and your gun is locked in the vehicle....if your business with the LEO does not require you to unlock and open the vehicle then IMHO notification is not required by law.

BUT if he asks to see registration and proof of insurance, suddenly you have to notify, and I saw an OSHP trooper blow a gasket over that. He showed up while I was being pulled from ditch with wrecker, so he wrote a report. My gun was locked in the car during our initial contact. He asked to see registration and proof of insurance...and I notified then because I was entering the vehicle with him present.
Your experience mirrors mine, specifically cops trying to "push the envelope" and demand notification when it's not required.

The answer was "no" and always will be.

It's "law enforcement", not "courtesy enforcement" or "whim enforcement".
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I have had 4 interactions with law enforcement since getting my CHL.

One with a Summit County Sheriff deputy outside of the Summit County fairground who stopped Eye95 and me while walking from the parking area to where Ohio Carry was holding a counter protest against the local moms demanding (some) action protest. Was carrying openly, so did not inform, was not asked for ID.

One with Stark County Sheriff deputies at the Stark County Fair while openly carrying so no need to inform (details in another post elsewhere in the forums). Was not asked for ID.

Two other occasions where local law enforcement came to my door looking for someone who was not at my house at the time. In one case I was carrying openly, in one case I was not carrying, so I did not inform either time. I was not asked for ID in either case.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!