Encounter with Sheriff deputies at Stark County Fair today

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Encounter with Sheriff deputies at Stark County Fair tod

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Mustang380gal wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:I think I've asked this before, in relation to county fairs, and don't recall seeing an answer. Pardon me if someone did answer this, but what is the legal basis for a county fair to post the no guns warning on entrances to restrooms? I'm not talking about restrooms that are part of a larger bldg. where meetings might occur either, I'm talking about stand alone men's and women's restrooms, the bldg. being used for only that purpose.
There is none that I'm aware of, a sign at the entrance to a standalone restroom doesn't appear to me to comply with ORC 2923.126 or 2923.1212
Tuscrawas County had free standing rest rooms posted at last year's steam show.
I contacted the fairboard about that last year....or maybe the year before, I forget, BUT the response I got was that they were going to take those signs off the restroom doors......ie: the restrooms, (with a room on the back of the building used by the sheriff's dept, but not accesable through the restrooms).

Guess that never happened?

I may try to contact them again this week.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mustang380gal wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:I think I've asked this before, in relation to county fairs, and don't recall seeing an answer. Pardon me if someone did answer this, but what is the legal basis for a county fair to post the no guns warning on entrances to restrooms? I'm not talking about restrooms that are part of a larger bldg. where meetings might occur either, I'm talking about stand alone men's and women's restrooms, the bldg. being used for only that purpose.
There is none that I'm aware of, a sign at the entrance to a standalone restroom doesn't appear to me to comply with ORC 2923.126 or 2923.1212
Tuscrawas County had free standing rest rooms posted at last year's steam show.
If the "Steam Show" is run by a private entity that is renting / leasing the fairgrounds, they can post whatever they like. If (as is the case with the county fair when run by the county agricultural society) the event is run by a political subdivision of the state of Ohio, they can only post buildings that are considered government facilities that are not primarily rest areas, parking facilities or restrooms.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote: Tuscrawas County had free standing rest rooms posted at last year's steam show.
If the "Steam Show" is run by a private entity that is renting / leasing the fairgrounds, they can post whatever they like. If (as is the case with the county fair when run by the county agricultural society) the event is run by a political subdivision of the state of Ohio, they can only post buildings that are considered government facilities that are not primarily rest areas, parking facilities or restrooms.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Darke county seems to have them up all year long. I once asked a person who supposedly was a member of the fair board about the signs, why they were up, the legality of them, etc. The guy said he assumes that they're perfectly legal, but when I asked about who I could contact for an official answer, he just said he'd ask and get back with me. He then hurriedly left, before I could give him any contact info. :roll:

I just now found a link on this web site regarding this issue. I'm not sure why I couldn't find it before posting this question, I probably did something wrong with my search, sorry.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

It wasn't a temporary sign by the steam club. It was a permanent sign. And it was only on the rest rooms IIRC. I did not go this year so I don't know whether they still have the signs.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Mustang380gal wrote:It wasn't a temporary sign by the steam club. It was a permanent sign. And it was only on the rest rooms IIRC. I did not go this year so I don't know whether they still have the signs.
Ok, I'm kinda confused.
Are we talking about the restroom facility directly behind the grandstands at the Dover fairgrounds ?

That building's main purpose is to house the restrooms, IMO, but during the fair the sheriffs dept uses the other room in the back of it during the fair, so can the fairboard still post this building ?
Darrel
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:It wasn't a temporary sign by the steam club. It was a permanent sign. And it was only on the rest rooms IIRC. I did not go this year so I don't know whether they still have the signs.
Ok, I'm kinda confused.
Are we talking about the restroom facility directly behind the grandstands at the Dover fairgrounds ?

That building's main purpose is to house the restrooms, IMO, but during the fair the sheriffs dept uses the other room in the back of it during the fair, so can the fairboard still post this building ?
Yes, that's the one. I didn't realize it had a room on back that the sheriff uses. The steam/tractor show doesn't have displays up behind that building, so I only ever see it from the back of the grandstand. From there it just looks like a restroom. The restrooms don't connect inside to any room behind, that I ever saw.

I can see a room that the sheriff uses being posted (only because the law says it can, not because I believe that the room is special since deputies may use it), but the bathroom being posted if the other room is not occupied makes no sense.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Mustang380gal wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Ok, I'm kinda confused.

Yes, that's the one. I didn't realize it had a room on back that the sheriff uses. The steam/tractor show doesn't have displays up behind that building, so I only ever see it from the back of the grandstand. From there it just looks like a restroom. The restrooms don't connect inside to any room behind, that I ever saw.

I can see a room that the sheriff uses being posted (only because the law says it can, not because I believe that the room is special since deputies may use it), but the bathroom being posted if the other room is not occupied makes no sense.
And......the bathroom being posted if the other room "IS" occupied makes no sense either !
Darrel
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Agreed.

No earthly reason to post bathrooms. Or just about any other room, for that matter.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Did anyone attend the Tusc co. fair this year and if so was the restrooms mentioned above posted?
Darrel
747tech

Post by 747tech »

County fairs are miserable to find good info on.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor