FL mother shoots, kills daughter she mistook for inruder

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fabulouslife

FL mother shoots, kills daughter she mistook for inruder

Post by fabulouslife »

Link to article: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/31/fl ... ruder.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A woman visiting her mother and stepfather in central Florida for the holidays was shot and killed by her mother late Tuesday after she mistook the victim for an intruder, police said.

The Orlando Sentinel reported that a 27-year-old woman was pronounced dead at a local hospital after the shooting in St. Cloud, approximately 25 miles southeast of Orlando.

St. Cloud police Sgt. Denise Roberts said Wednesday that the 45-year-old mother was asleep when she heard someone enter her home shortly before midnight Tuesday. The mother told police she heard footsteps approaching quickly so she fired a single shot.

Roberts said the daughter had been visiting from North Carolina and didn't live in the home.

St. Cloud police officials said the mother is a 911 dispatcher for Osceola County and her husband is a St. Cloud police corporal. Authorities have asked reporters not to identify the family members because of the husband's past work as an undercover narcotics officer.

Detectives were investigating the case but say the mother's story matches the evidence so far.

"At this time, the incident appears to be an accidental shooting," the news release said.

The state attorney's office will review the shooting to decide whether charges should be filed after the St. Cloud Police Department has completed its investigation.

Because the shooter wasn't a law enforcement officer, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement will not be investigating.
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: FL mother shoots, kills daughter she mistook for inruder

Post by charliej47 »

I think I posted here one time about a friend of my son who was staying the weekend and they came in after 3AM and I almost shot them except that I spotted them with a light before I shot.
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Whether I had a key or even if the door was unlocked, I wouldn't even think about entering a relatives house unannounced, particularly at midnight. In addition, this is why having a powerful flashlight along with a gun is a good idea, so that you can identify what it is that you're shooting at, not just shoot at a noise you can't see. The article didn't say if she shouted out a question or not.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

I had a false alarm once with an unexpected, yet authorized, key holding, non-resident family member letting themselves in unannounced. It was during the day. Calling out to an unknown person reveals my position. I didn't want to do that. So I waited. I could hear someone walking around. No one called out or gave any clue as to who it might be. Eventually that person sat down in the living room where I could see from the top of the stairs. I never told that person about the situation. We had spoken on the phone earlier the day and this person's car was in the shop and said he/she was in for the day/night. He/she changed her/his mind and walked the 15 minutes to my house. I looked for a familiar car from the 2nd story windows and there was no car. Since I was on the second floor and he/she was on the first floor, I checked for dial tone on my land line. I had dial tone.

Once I confirmed it was a friendly it was over. My other family members were confirmed out of town. The only other person with a key had told me earlier they weren't going anywhere and there was no car outside when I looked. I didn't consider the possibility of that person changing their mind, walking over, and not announcing his/her self.

I would never fire at someone I wasn't positive needed shot at.

I discreetly put the gun away and poured us some coffee.
The British are going! The British are going!
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

M-Quigley wrote:Whether I had a key or even if the door was unlocked, I wouldn't even think about entering a relatives house unannounced, particularly at midnight. In addition, this is why having a powerful flashlight along with a gun is a good idea, so that you can identify what it is that you're shooting at, not just shoot at a noise you can't see. The article didn't say if she shouted out a question or not.
If it IS a bad guy a powerful flashlight will blind/confuse him. I guess the only downside might be that it give away your position.

And yeah, entering a relative's house unannounced that late? Heck even when I was married and my ex got home before me and I opened the door with a key - I'd always say, "Hey, Tami! It's me" That lady is going to have to live with that tragic incident the rest of her life.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

My wife and I have an oh going disagreement. She wants to close drapes at night and make this house pitch dark. I tell her I want the street light shining in so I can make sure any person I see in the living room at night is not my son or daughter. They don't live with us but both have keys. You MUST know your target.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

WeinerDog wrote:My wife and I have an oh going disagreement. She wants to close drapes at night and make this house pitch dark. I tell her I want the street light shining in so I can make sure any person I see in the living room at night is not my son or daughter. They don't live with us but both have keys. You MUST know your target.
Hmmm. Makes me think I should investigate some sort of a motion sensing night light.

Even with castle doctrine the test is still "am I in fear of my life". I know adrenalin can affect one's judgment but I think it's reasonable to be able to at least identify a threat before shooting.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

I got half sick reading the article when it first hit the news.
I know what it is to lose a child.
I buried my daughter a few years ago, pancreatic cancer ... no parent should ever have to bury their child ... but to know she caused her daughter's death is a hell she will live with to her last breath.
When I read this account, I rounded every one of my hand lights and made sure they were either fully charged, or had new batteries, then the XO and I had a serious talk on the subject!
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

dcludwig wrote:
If it IS a bad guy a powerful flashlight will blind/confuse him. I guess the only downside might be that it give away your position.

Always get off of the X after hitting someone in the eyes with a light.. If they do charge or shoot it will most likely be in the direction they were heading before they were blinded..
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WestonDon wrote:
WeinerDog wrote:My wife and I have an oh going disagreement. She wants to close drapes at night and make this house pitch dark. I tell her I want the street light shining in so I can make sure any person I see in the living room at night is not my son or daughter. They don't live with us but both have keys. You MUST know your target.
Hmmm. Makes me think I should investigate some sort of a motion sensing night light.

Even with castle doctrine the test is still "am I in fear of my life". I know adrenalin can affect one's judgment but I think it's reasonable to be able to at least identify a threat before shooting.
Well, it is one of the basic gun safety rules, and not just at the gun range. (Be sure of your target and what's behind it)

Motion sensing lights are a good thing. I've got one in front of my garage and my front door. If either of them come on, I can see light from the bedroom window. One of my living room lights has a switch that's on/off/motion sensor. It'll illuminate the living rm. without giving away my position in the bedroom.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Same with my kids and a few trusted friends. I tell them, "You've got phones, use them! I don't care what time it is, CALL FIRST! ANYONE walks in unannounced, the locks get changed and no more courtesy keys for anyone!"

No problems in the last fifteen years!
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

All window coverings in our house are closed most of the time, except when it's a nice, bright day out. I don't have many possessions that would be considered tempting, but would rather minimize the opportunity for someone to snoop at the windows. However, a few lights are left on throughout the house so it would be fairly easy to identify an intruder. Of note: There are no street lamps in my neighborhood.