OSP Motor Carrier Enforcement A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Hyflyer

OSP Motor Carrier Enforcement A+

Post by Hyflyer »

Tuesday I was stopped by an OSP Motor Carrier Enforcement Officer (the one's you see in the white SUV's / red lights and blue lettering) for a random inspection with my work truck. The location was around MP 21 on westbound I70 Montgomery County out towards the Indiana line. I was not armed at the time and didn't comment anything to the officer on initial contact. I had a trainee with me in the passenger seat and the officer approached on the passenger side and collected up my driver's license and then we went to a safe spot off the highway to conduct the inspection.

Once we got to the second location it went something like this:

OSP: Do you have your pistol with you today Mr. Hyflyer?
(TRAINEE): :shock:
ME: No sir, I do not.
OSP: Why not? You should carry that everywhere!
(TRAINEE): :shock: :shock:
ME: :lol: While I agree and do carry most everywhere I can, many of the customer sites I go to don't allow firearms on the property.
OSP: If it's not posted on the gate, carry on! I just wanted to make sure you knew there were not any laws against carrying in a truck. So many [truck]drivers think you can't carry in a truck and that's not true.
ME: Yes sir, I have found the same.

That was the end of the discussion about firearms. He was certainly a pro 2A guy. He went through my paperwork (hazmat tanker load) and found everything in order and invited my trainee to follow him around for the rest of the inspection and explained everything he was checking and why. He was fantastic and it was a great experience for my trainee who had never been "pulled over" before. It also led to more discussion about firearm myths with my trainee (I don't talk about guns at work but do to the circumstances he had a lot of questions)

I plan on writing a short email to his post to let his superiors know that I appreciate his professionalism.

Scott
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: OSP Motor Carrier Enforcement A+

Post by Sevens »

That's pretty slick and enjoyable to read. And this after I went in to the first sentence annoyed that he pulled you over for no reason whatsoever than a fishing trip. Him taking your trainee around and showing him exactly the things he was checking is indeed a very professional touch.

Great post!
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
ppfd

Post by ppfd »

Never understood why these guys are not armed.

WV carried enforcement are armed in case anyone was interested.
docachna

Post by docachna »

ppfd wrote:Never understood why these guys are not armed.

WV carried enforcement are armed in case anyone was interested.
When I was LEO in Oklahoma, their motor carrier enforcement apparatus was a separate troop of the OHP. And most Oklahoma troopers, you do NOT want to [fool] with. :shock:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
BobK

Post by BobK »

Don't know if it has changed since I moved to Texas, but when I lived in Ohio Motor Carrier roadside inspections were made by a two person team within the PUCO Motor Carrier unit. One person was an Ohio State Trooper -- fully sworn and armed LEO -- on assignment to the Motor Carrier unit. The other person was a non-LEO PUCO Inspector. The inspector did all the dirty work crawling under the vehicles, the OSP LEO issued the citations and violations.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

BobK wrote:Don't know if it has changed since I moved to Texas, but when I lived in Ohio Motor Carrier roadside inspections were made by a two person team within the PUCO Motor Carrier unit. One person was an Ohio State Trooper -- fully sworn and armed LEO -- on assignment to the Motor Carrier unit. The other person was a non-LEO PUCO Inspector. The inspector did all the dirty work crawling under the vehicles, the OSP LEO issued the citations and violations.
Inspector does it solo now and can issue citations as well as take truck out of service. I don't know the specifics but been present for a couple of stops.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

I thought it was OSHP?
BobK

Post by BobK »

Curzyk wrote:I thought it was OSHP?
I referred the officer as a Trooper, which I believe correctly describes a member of the OSHP.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
sethmcdonald
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by sethmcdonald »

They do not carry guns. They are under the OSHP division of Public Safety though.
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

If they are not OSHP and not LEO, is there a duty to inform? Could anyone be pulled over for a traffic violation by them?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

concreteguy wrote:If they are not OSHP and not LEO, is there a duty to inform?
Yes, ORC 2923.16 (E)
concreteguy wrote:Could anyone be pulled over for a traffic violation by them?
No, ORC 5503.34
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

djthomas wrote:
concreteguy wrote:If they are not OSHP and not LEO, is there a duty to inform?
Yes, ORC 2923.16 (E)
concreteguy wrote:Could anyone be pulled over for a traffic violation by them?
No, ORC 5503.34

So they are considered a law enforcement officer? I guess you learn something new all the time.
niXD45c
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by niXD45c »

Excellent post. :D
Thanks for sharing. :!:
It's a great day to be alive!
Dave