OSHP Public Records reply

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techguy85

OSHP Public Records reply

Post by techguy85 »

About a month ago a buddy and I got pulled over on our way to go shooting by OSHP in Washington Courthouse on 62 South. Long story short, the trooper had us hold our hands out the window for the duration of the stop. I thought that was a bit much so made a public records request for the dashcam footage, radio recording, and the officer's personelle file.
After chewing on my request for several weeks putting it through their "public affairs" (aka CYA department in the words of Jeff.) They finally sent me the records this week.
My question to the forum: should I be suspicious that the dashcam footage is sans audio? Partway through you begin to hear a buz as iff it would be where the audio was present, and you can even hear the cruiser's siron for a minute or so, but there is no audio of our encounter.
What would you all do from here? It wasn't a huge deal worth making a mountain over but I would be extremely annoyed to learn that they are playing game with the Public Records Act.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: OSHP Public Records reply

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Make it a huge deal.

Or, send me the details of the stop and I will make it a big deal. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

MWSY not sure your brand of making this a huge deal is what is needed here. let's see what others think. :lol:
I'd feel bad if it ended up with you in jail.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

They may have left the microphone in the car or he wore it on a bad spot that didn't pick up or transmit back to the car. Audio for cruiser cams is not the best and is reliable on many human factors being the #1-10 causes of bad audio.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

techguy85 wrote:MWSY not sure your brand of making this a huge deal is what is needed here. let's see what others think. :lol:
I'd feel bad if it ended up with you in jail.

MWSY isn't capable of getting arrested, and you keep having troubles precisely because you don't "make a huge deal" out of it
I still can't believe you didn't file a complaint against that Clintonville cop who held you and your brother at gun point, at least
IMO, you should have sued his pants off.

Are you going to let this one slide too?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I did eventually complain to the chief of the Clinton TWP police but it never went anywhere.
here is a link to the video if anyone else can figure anything else out that I missed. I'll follow back up with the records unit to see if I can get an answer on the missing audio.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8c6av2tv8g79 ... m.mpg?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I know this doesn't hlp any, but I'm curious as to the reason for the stop. What did you guys do to make him do a U-Turn and hit 90mph to catch up. I couldn't tell from the video.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

So what was the reason for the stop? I notice youre right in front of the semi when he passes you, but very much further down the road after he turns around and catches up with you.

Video looked pretty routine really.... and the audio issue happen especially with the radio mics. Odd that it turned on, but that may just be the internal car mic coming on at speed.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

He stopped us for going 72 in a 55 zone even though it was just while we were going around the truck. I wasn't driving (obfiously.)
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

techguy85 wrote:He stopped us for going 72 in a 55 zone even though it was just while we were going around the truck. I wasn't driving (obfiously.)
Im reasonably sure that you aren't suppose to exceed the speed limit even when passing... But I'm sure we all do!
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

Yeah, even when passing the limit is the limit. And really that video is as routine as it gets..... there does not seem to be any big deal here.....
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Not sure if it can be seen or not but he tells us to hold our hands out the window for the duration of the stop. Personally I don't find that to be routine. Although I suppose I have a limited subset of interactions to go on there.
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

It is a reasonable request and perfectly legal too, for officer safety. He didn't take you out of the car, take the gun etc.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techguy85 wrote:Not sure if it can be seen or not but he tells us to hold our hands out the window for the duration of the stop. Personally I don't find that to be routine. Although I suppose I have a limited subset of interactions to go on there.
I don't think being told to stick one's hands out the window for the duration of a traffic stop is normal either. I wouldn't care to do that myself, especially on a cold, windy, wet day. If that's the new standard it's over the top in my opinion.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Clearly his instructions were lawful and I wouldn't disobey them but I am not sure I agree that it is reasonable. If I was any kind of threat to him would I have informed him I had a gun in the car? Is it reasonable to act that way when someone has given you no indication that they are any kind of danger to you?
Any number of measures might be legal under the umbrella of officer safety.
Just my .02.