filing open records act request

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

slidelock

filing open records act request

Post by slidelock »

I have a legal question for my county I can almost guarantee they wont want to answer. It likely will come down to the amount of any judgment or settle might win as to whether they comply or not. Anybody know how that would work out? I am trying to decide whether to go find a lawyer and find out what they would charge.
Tweed Ring

Re: filing open records act request

Post by Tweed Ring »

there's lots of case law regarding subdivisions which choose not to comply.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Can you give a bit of detail about the "legal question" you have ? Counties (particularly county prosecutors) are loathe to give legal advice to anyone.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Not sure I understand your question. If you file a public records request (under state law) and the political subdivision fails to comply (not necessarily produce, as certain records are exempt from disclosure), you can get statutory damage--I think it's $100 per record per day, up to $10k. You can also request attorney fees, which are capped at the amount of damages recovered (so a max of $10k damages and $10k attorney fees).
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'm pretty fluent in public record laws. In my opinion, it's not something one should really mess with. The problem sometimes comes in what is reasonable and how long it takes to truely get to the holder of said records.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Part of the trick is to know exactly what you want, to know what it's proper name is, and to ask for it in a way which establishes that the request was received, and that a reasonable time was granted to comply. "Shotgun" requests are often vague and may include records which are exempt from disclosure, and thus, they are not particularly helpful.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.