Spotted my first person carrying...and he was drinking

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Spotted my first person carrying...and he was drinking

Post by JustaShooter »

carmen fovozzo wrote:The world will not be destroyed by those that do evil, but by those who watch them with out doing anything...A.E
I'd posit that carrying a concealed handgun in a bar while drinking but doing nothing else wrong is not evil. As I said before, it's the difference between something that is wrong in and of itself and something that is only wrong because the government says it is wrong.

Just sayin'.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Sure. I agree...not evil but wrong...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Sure. I agree...not evil but wrong...
Only "wrong" because the government says its wrong. If tomorrow the government says its illegal to wear blue underwear on Wednesdays, does that actually make it wrong? Would you report someone whose blue waistband was showing?
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

carmen fovozzo wrote:The world will not be destroyed by those that do evil, but by those who watch them with out doing anything...A.E

Saw this on FB today...
Looks like someone decided it was easier to repackage an Edmund Burke quote instead of devising an original quip. Imitation...flattery...nothing to see here, move on.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

deanimator wrote:
Klingon00 wrote:
deanimator wrote:What if he was sitting outside in his car, not drinking ANYTHING while waiting to shoot somebody?
If he's just sitting in his car and not drinking but I see he's armed, I am not currently witnessing a felony so there's nothing to fail to report prior to the murder.
You're assuming he has a CHL or recognized equivalent.

What if he doesn't?

Why assume that the guy sitting in the car has a CHL, but NOT that the guy in the bar is a cop?
Point taken. Although, if I can't drink and carry, I'm not sure the police should be allowed to drink and carry but maybe that's just me.

Reasonable suspicion of someone drinking while armed in a bar is that they are doing so illegally. A person, not doing anything obviously illegal while armed in a vehicle would be presumed by me to have a CHL. Same rules of presumption I'd expect an LEO to make.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

And to be clear, the point I was making wasn't that we should be reporting on our neighbors at the bar so much as we should be careful about self incrimination should it be discovered that we knew that a felony was taking place but failed to do anything about it. Such questions would likely come up in the event a murder took place.

We are all free to choose our own course of action, but willingly defying the law could have consequences...

I am reminded of a certain biker bar in Texas recently, in which almost all the patrons were rounded up and charged with conspiracy/organized crime.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

What HARM could blue underwear do ?

That was a quote from Albert Einstein...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Klingon00 wrote:And to be clear, the point I was making wasn't that we should be reporting on our neighbors at the bar so much as we should be careful about self incrimination should it be discovered that we knew that a felony was taking place but failed to do anything about it. Such questions would likely come up in the event a murder took place.

We are all free to choose our own course of action, but willingly defying the law could have consequences...

I am reminded of a certain biker bar in Texas recently, in which almost all the patrons were rounded up and charged with conspiracy/organized crime.

I understand what you're saying.... But this is one of those that it would have to proven that one knew of the felony.... And what's any different in the eyes of the law between watching someone carrying and having a drink and standing by while a store is robbed or a woman is raped? But there have been some on this very forum that have said" I'd just be a good witness.".... Really?... Get real, those that would just be a witness to someone getting raped,robbed or murdered and now taking the "high moral road" against someone minding their own business, just carrying and having a drink?...

Where are folks moral compasses' these days when they would intervene in something that shouldn't be against the law because its a bad law, but yet would let an egregious crime unfold before them and not lift a hand to help the victim... Keyword there is Victim... I think as it has been alluded to earlier... It's a lack of testicular fortitude she one has a chance of them self being in danger should they intervene as opposed to just looking the part of a courageous citizen doing their duty when no danger is present.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:What HARM could blue underwear do ?

That was a quote from Albert Einstein...

And what harm could someone having a drink and carrying do?... Stop and think, what's stopping a person that already has criminal tendencies from having a drink at home and then committing a violent crime?... I don't see how some can espouse this law, but then hypocritically rail against other similar laws... I don't carry and drink... But I don't see this law saving anymore lives than any other such law.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And last I checked a person sitting quietly in a bar drinking while armed is not evil and doing nothing evil.

"It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satisfied; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C. S. Lewis

Saw this on FB today...
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Asking "What HARM can come from" a given act is to engage in speculation, and depending on you imagination and threshold for probability just about anything could lead to HARM.

What harm *can* come from carrying a gun in public? Gosh, too many bad things to even contemplate, we should make it illegal!

What harm *did* come from that person carrying a concealed handgun into a bar and having a drink? Nothing? Well then, what, exactly, is the problem?

Punish the wrong that *is* done, not something that could *possibly* lead to wrong.
NRA Life Member

Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

JustaShooter wrote:
Asking "What HARM can come from" a given act is to engage in speculation, and depending on you imagination and threshold for probability just about anything could lead to HARM.

What harm *can* come from carrying a gun in public? Gosh, too many bad things to even contemplate, we should make it illegal!

What harm *did* come from that person carrying a concealed handgun into a bar and having a drink? Nothing? Well then, what, exactly, is the problem?

Punish the wrong that *is* done, not something that could *possibly* lead to wrong.
Oh we got trouble,
Right here in River City!
With a capital "T"
That rhymes with "P"
And that stands for Pool!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

WY_Not wrote:And last I checked a person sitting quietly in a bar drinking while armed is not evil and doing nothing evil.
True. Most such laws are enacted to prevent the exercise of poor judgment before it can cause any damage.

I would have no problem getting rid of such laws, but only if modifications can be made at the other end. Those who consume alcohol clearly know what it does; it reduces inhibition, impairs rational judgment, alters perceptions, and hampers physical coordination. If the risk is well-known, and a person purposely consumes alcohol despite that risk, they should be punished for the consequences which result from their alcohol consumption (regardless of whether they are moderately impaired or severely intoxicated) just as if they had acted with a full intent to cause the negative result. No more excuses; alcohol consumption should not even be a mitigating factor, much less an excuse.

People who consume alcohol on a regular basis tend not to favor that part.

“Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Werz wrote:
WY_Not wrote:And last I checked a person sitting quietly in a bar drinking while armed is not evil and doing nothing evil.
True. Most such laws are enacted to prevent the exercise of poor judgment before it can cause any damage.

I would have no problem getting rid of such laws, but only if modifications can be made at the other end. Those who consume alcohol clearly know what it does; it reduces inhibition, impairs rational judgment, alters perceptions, and hampers physical coordination. If the risk is well-known, and a person purposely consumes alcohol despite that risk, they should be punished for the consequences which result from their alcohol consumption (regardless of whether they are moderately impaired or severely intoxicated) just as if they had acted with a full intent to cause the negative result. No more excuses; alcohol consumption should not even be a mitigating factor, much less an excuse.

People who consume alcohol on a regular basis tend not to favor that part.

“Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Werz, I have always been of the opinion that alcohol and drugs should not be an excuse.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Werz,

I'll actually agree with you on that one. :mrgreen: If you drink and drive and get into an accident, it should by default be attempted murder if another person is injured or full blown murder if another person is killed. The person knew that drinking impairs judgement and motor skills yet they did it anyway, let them suffer the consequences of their actions. I couldn't care less if someone drinks and drives, until they actually cause harm. Punish the actions not the potentials.

I say the same thing regarding drugs. I couldn't care less what you put into your body. However, the first time you rob someone to support your habit or cause an injury or death of someone else, nail your hide to the wall as mentioned in previous paragraph.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.