Dog attack

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Re: Dog attack

Post by M-Quigley »

Funk49 wrote:Would anyone get into "discharging legalities" if you fired a shot....or two, into the ground to scare the animal away??
Possibly, because someone will say if it's not enough of a serious situation to shoot the animal, it wasn't serious enough to shoot at all. Plus, shooting into the ground entails risk of ricochet, even if it appears on the surface to merely be soft ground.

The one and only time I was forced to use a weapon on a dog I tried pepper spray first, even though I had a handgun. This was a huge dog that could've done serious harm to me, and charged me. It worked, but if it hadn't I could've still resorted to the handgun, in my particular situation. Your mileage my vary, as they say.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Let the dog bite you then shoot him....pay day and you got rid of a nuisance.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Let the dog bite you then shoot him....pay day and you got rid of a nuisance.
Yeah, like the pit bull owner has insurance, or a job.
HancockCountyHaL
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Http://dogs.petbreeds.com/stories/5012/25-dog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two worst dog breeds for child victims....Pitt 1355....Rotty 297.....sort of out of proportion don't you think ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
boardhead50

Post by boardhead50 »

I work each day going to many home and I encounter man's best friend on a daily basis. All day, every day. Rain or shine,

I can tell you from my daily experience that shooting the neighbors dog is definitely unnecessary.

Look around and obtain a couple of 4 oz. cans of a professional police pepper spray (DPS, Vexor, Police Magnum) and use it if he gets within 15 -20 ft. Be aware of the wind each time you go out. Always keep the spray around and handy. I keep it in the same place all the time. Just this week, I sprayed two dogs ... it works every time. If the neighbor says anything just apologize in a relaxed way and say, "Jeez,I'm sorry but he charged me. I hated to spray him , but I don't want to get torn up on my own property." He will get the picture...

And once Sparky gets a face full of that stuff he will lose his desire to come at you and you will probably not need to do it a second time.

Shooting him is a poor choice and not necessary, and is filled with legal ramifications. If you have to spray him more than once, document everything and call the police, they will take it from there.

Take the money you save from not hiring a lawyer and buy some ammo and go to the range and so some shooting.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Boardhead50-

Welcome to the forum !!

Now, about that first post:
boardhead50 wrote:I work each day going to many home and I encounter man's best friend on a daily basis. All day, every day. Rain or shine,
And do you go to homes all across your state and other states throughout the country?
boardhead50 wrote:I can tell you from my daily experience that shooting the neighbors dog is definitely unnecessary.
YOUR neighbor or someone else's neighbor?
boardhead50 wrote:...Just this week, I sprayed two dogs ... it works every time.
Every time? You mean, "Twice", don't you?
boardhead50 wrote:...And once Sparky gets a face full of that stuff he will lose his desire to come at you and you will probably not need to do it a second time.
Why did you say "probably"? Didn't you say "every time" just a sentence or two earlier? Which is it?
boardhead50 wrote:Shooting him is a poor choice and not necessary, and is filled with legal ramifications. If you have to spray him more than once, document everything and call the police, they will take it from there.
IF you have to spray him more than once? What if you have to spray him more than twice? What if spraying him more than twice doesn't do a darn thing? What if he grabs a hold on your leg and rips out a sizable portion of calf muscle?

Oh! Sorry! I didn't read far enough..."just document everything and call the police, they will take it from there"...got it.
Thanks for your opinion.

If I can use deadly force on a person for fear of severe bodily harm, you can bet your ASCII that I won't hesitate to shoot a dog for the same fear.

Shooting anyone or anything that is not an obvious threat is wrong, I agree. That doesn't mean I'm going to let a dog sink it's frickin' teeth into my leg just to justify shooting it.

What I find difficult to deal with is people that take their own limited exposure and try to apply that to ALL such situations.

Some of those people can be reasoned with and can understand that THEIR experiences will not necessarily be OTHER people's experiences.

I would just ask you to keep an open mind.
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

My $.02.......I'm self employied and in my work I come across the dog issue too. I carry because I'm my own boss.....many people aren't that lucky...... but for those who can't carry, pepper spray might be their only, (or best), option ,unfortunately. On probably the worst incident i've had with a dog, my nephew was with me and the dog was in "his" face, literally. My nephew didn't have anything to fight the dog off with. I got out, ran around the front of the truck and got between the dog and my nephew, gun in hand when the owner came out yelling at the dog. It all went well but it could have went the other way. I've never used or am familiar with spray or what it is capable of doing but I am familiar with what a firearm can accomplish and that's all that I had and I wasn't going to let the dog get hold of him by the leg or face if poss.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
IF you have to spray him more than once? What if you have to spray him more than twice? What if spraying him more than twice doesn't do a darn thing? What if he grabs a hold on your leg and rips out a sizable portion of calf muscle?
It's not just the bite, it's also the possibility of rabies. Although my one time use of pepper spray happened to work temporarily for me (it didn't stop the dog from trying to attack the manager a few minutes later) there is no way I would've sprayed twice if the first time hadn't worked.
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Oh! Sorry! I didn't read far enough..."just document everything and call the police, they will take it from there"...got it.
Thanks for your opinion.
The time I had a problem with an aggressive dog, the dispatcher told me to call animal control, they weren't sending an officer out. They would however send an ambulance out if someone got bit. When I called the number they gave me for animal control, all I got was a recording. One of the customers who got chased back inside the store wanted to go home, and was threatening to sue if something wasn't done about it. Every time someone tried to come in or go out, the dog became aggressive towards them, and this was a huge dog.
MyWifeSaidYes wrote: If I can use deadly force on a person for fear of severe bodily harm, you can bet your ASCII that I won't hesitate to shoot a dog for the same fear.

Shooting anyone or anything that is not an obvious threat is wrong, I agree. That doesn't mean I'm going to let a dog sink it's frickin' teeth into my leg just to justify shooting it.

What I find difficult to deal with is people that take their own limited exposure and try to apply that to ALL such situations.

Some of those people can be reasoned with and can understand that THEIR experiences will not necessarily be OTHER people's experiences.

I would just ask you to keep an open mind.
I agree with all of this.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Yeah, we really need a "Like" button. :lol:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Actually, if you read the ORC, if a dog is attacking or harassing livestock or people there are no legal ramifications except for the dog's owner. They are held liable for any and all damages caused by the dog.
955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.

(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals. Nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from killing a dog that attacks a police dog as defined in section 2921.321 of the Revised Code.

(B) The owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog, unless the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time, was committing or attempting to commit criminal trespass or another criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer, or was committing or attempting to commit a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor against any person, or was teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog on the owner's, keeper's, or harborer's property. Additionally, the owner, keeper, or harborer of a dog is liable in damages for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that is caused by the dog if the injury, death, or loss was caused to the person or property of an individual who, at the time of the injury, death, or loss, was on the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer solely for the purpose of engaging in door-to-door sales or other solicitations regardless of whether the individual was in compliance with any requirement to obtain a permit or license to engage in door-to-door sales or other solicitations established by the political subdivision in which the property of the owner, keeper, or harborer is located, provided that the person was not committing a criminal offense other than a minor misdemeanor or was not teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog.

Effective Date: 07-10-1987; 2008 HB71 09-30-2008
boardhead50 wrote:Shooting him is a poor choice and not necessary, and is filled with legal ramifications.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

WY_Not wrote:Actually, if you read the ORC, if a dog is attacking or harassing livestock or people there are no legal ramifications except for the dog's owner. They are held liable for any and all damages caused by the dog.
That doesn't mean there aren't legal ramifications. Nothing in the ORC says that if you claim the dog was menacing you the cops have to take you at your word.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't shoot. That's situational. I'm pointing out that a code section doesn't mean your actions consequence-free.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

No but it does make the lift much easier. Especially when said dog is lying on the ground in your yard or your pasture.

As has been said a number of times in this thread, if one values their dog then they will keep it on their property and/or under control.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Darkness

Post by Darkness »

And just today:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/25/pi ... s-say.html

Statistics sure do lean against a certain breed.
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
powrguy

Post by powrguy »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Uh huh. So if a guy swings at you and misses, you weren't attacked you were waved at?
LOL....

Well said !

:D
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

These type of threads on every gun forum. A dog came at me, he was wagging his tale suspiciously, I pulled my Glock and soon as I was ready to fire, he stopped to lick his privates and suddenly his owner appeared out of nowhere. Do you think they will report me for brandishing or should I call the cops so I can be the victim?

When I saw "Dog attack" I seriously thought someone was seriously bitten, not a close call or whatever.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if I was SERIOUSLY in fear of being attacked I'd shoot & worry about consequences later, but I believe some people in the 2A community (nobody here) are trigger happy & finding an excuse to shoot a dog is easy.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson