Stopped by OSHP last Saturday

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: Stopped by OSHP last Saturday

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Werz wrote:... you still have an obligation to produce your physical CHL...
Really? :?

Is that in the ORC or from case law?
I can't find it in case law for Ohio (maybe Werz can) but when dealing with a driver's licenses, many appeals courts in other states have held up obstructing charges against a person for failure to hand over their driver's license even though the state statute says "display" much like Ohio. So, I would say it would probably hold up on a CHL as well so the officer can verify it's authenticity and simply showing does not allow that.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

"[W]e hold it was Meyers' burden to establish that he had his license with him at the time he was stopped, which would have rendered R.C. 2923.16(C) inapplicable to him." State v. Meyers, 2014-Ohio-1357, at ¶43 (11th Dist.)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

"[W]e hold it was Meyers' burden to establish that he had his license with him at the time he was stopped, which would have rendered R.C. 2923.16(C) inapplicable to him." State v. Meyers, 2014-Ohio-1357, at ¶43 (11th Dist.)
See? THIS is why I ask. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

{¶57} It was never established in the record whether Meyers had a valid license at the time this incident occurred. There was some testimony that when the officer ran Meyers’ vehicle registration, he received information that the owner of the vehicle had a carry and conceal license issued to him. However, there is no indication that the license was still in effect or in Meyers’ possession at the time of the stop.

{¶58} The fact that the officer might have known that Meyers had been issued a concealed carry permit is irrelevant if Meyers was not in compliance with the statute,
e.g., that he carry the license with him
. ...
So, THEY don't have to prove you violated the law...YOU have to prove you DIDN'T.

Once again, guilty until proven innocent. :roll:

Gotta love those 'affirmative defenses'.
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
{¶57} It was never established in the record whether Meyers had a valid license at the time this incident occurred. There was some testimony that when the officer ran Meyers’ vehicle registration, he received information that the owner of the vehicle had a carry and conceal license issued to him. However, there is no indication that the license was still in effect or in Meyers’ possession at the time of the stop.

{¶58} The fact that the officer might have known that Meyers had been issued a concealed carry permit is irrelevant if Meyers was not in compliance with the statute,
e.g., that he carry the license with him
. ...
So, THEY don't have to prove you violated the law...YOU have to prove you DIDN'T.

Once again, guilty until proven innocent. :roll:

Gotta love those 'affirmative defenses'.
As I told you a long time ago (citing U.S. Circuit Courts), open carry is presumptively lawful, while concealed carry is presumptively unlawful.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Ohio should pass a law that all drivers inform any officer who stops them of their last meal and what it consisted of as the first notification.

I think this would relive stress.. Imagine being pulled over and you say "Sir ( or mam) my last meal was chicken wings.... Honey mustard sir"

See wouldn't that just relive all the stress and anxiety going along with a stop for people.. What a topic of conversation then they can get to the fact that "Oh pancakes nice, by the way this car is stolen, please step out'' or "oh sir you just had a milkshake awesome you have 5 warrants"

I love law's.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK