St. Mary's (Auglaize Co) PD

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JMO

St. Mary's (Auglaize Co) PD

Post by JMO »

I don't normally have great things to say about Auglaize County, but was very surprised with how well-trained this LEO encounter was!

I'll try to keep it short and simple, but Tuesday I had locked my keys in my truck as I arrived to work. I needed those keys to get inside work, and my pistol was on the passenger seat, partially covered by a newspaper. This kinda worried me because I honestly am not completely aware of any storage laws there might be as a CCW holder. I don't believe we're REQUIRED to keep it under lock & key, right? Its just the responsible thing to do.

Anyways

Before I could even call around to get somebody to help me unlock it an officer actually drove past on his way to the BUD car dealership, where I watched him pull up to the garage apparently to have his car serviced. So I walked down the street to meet him and see if he could help me get back into my truck.

As he meets me back at the restaurant I'm standing outside my truck and he opens his trunk to get that tool they use and I wish I had. He walked over to my driver side door and starts working on it. As he began I said "I don't want to it to surprise you but there is a firearm on my passenger seat, partially covered by that newspaper".... I had left a pause before informing I was a license-holder purposely. He pauses with his work, looks through the window and examines the situation. At this point I'm now thinking he's thinking-up what charges he's going to arrest me for. So, I then let him know I was a concealed carry holder. Un-phased he went back to work and quickly unlocked my door.

Once the door was unlocked he actually opened the door as he turned his back to myself & the truck and walked away, putting his tools back into his trunk. While he was in his trunk he started up a short conversation about firearms, asking what type it was and whatnot. I was surprised by his relaxed demeanor & the fact he had never asked for my name, never asked for my license, nothing! As I look back on it, I could've just been a passer-by who noticed a gun in the passenger seat & wanted it!? Though that would've been ballsy, criminals aren't the brightest.

I've thought about writing the St. Mary's PD and thanking them for their departments training of officers when it comes to handling concealed carry holders. This was a pleasant experience, very non-eventful. Just the way it should be!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: St. Mary's (Auglaize Co) PD

Post by JustaShooter »

JMO wrote:I had locked my keys in my truck as I arrived to work. I needed those keys to get inside work, and my pistol was on the passenger seat, partially covered by a newspaper. This kinda worried me because I honestly am not completely aware of any storage laws there might be as a CCW holder. I don't believe we're REQUIRED to keep it under lock & key, right? Its just the responsible thing to do.
That's correct as I understand it as well.

Glad your encounter was uneventful - as it should be!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I think if it were me I wouldn't mention the firearm or concealed carry unless I knew for SURE his chief's attitude on the subject. But that's just me.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Do you usually leave your firearm on the seat, covered by a newspaper? :shock:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
JMO

Post by JMO »

Normally while I'm at work. I'm parked right outside the lobby windows at a fast food restaurant. Doors locked of course
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

JMO wrote:Normally while I'm at work. I'm parked right outside the lobby windows at a fast food restaurant. Doors locked of course
You might want one of these
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
JMO

Post by JMO »

Agreed.

Ordered.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

sd790 wrote:
JMO wrote:Normally while I'm at work. I'm parked right outside the lobby windows at a fast food restaurant. Doors locked of course
You might want one of these
+1

That's what I use, cabled to the rails of the passenger seat, and after locking my gun in it I slide it under said passenger seat. It won't stop a determined (or even half-hearted) attempt with tools and time, but it will (hopefully) deter a smash & grab.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!