[Warning Graphic Video] Man With Machete Takes 3

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fyrfytr310

[Warning Graphic Video] Man With Machete Takes 3

Post by fyrfytr310 »

This happened about a year ago so it is hardly news (hence why it is not in that forum). This video should serve as a testament to how quickly these things can unfold and how slowly (not negligently) armed assistance could take to arrive once summoned.

Warning: Graphic Video
Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Even if it is a very big knife.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: [Warning Graphic Video] Man With Machete Takes 3

Post by 502ci »

Looked like the guys door was made of cardboard :shock:
Nothing to see here...move along.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

He's lucky the guy didn't kill him..Sounds like he took 3 rounds.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Exactly.
fyrfytr310 wrote:Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Even if it is a very big knife.
From http://www.idahostatejournal.com/member ... 1ad26.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Cvengros said he was surprised that Thomas kept coming at him after being shot twice.

“He didn’t stop until the third shot,” Cvengros said. “Then he went down.”

The incident last February was not the first encounter between Cvengros and Thomas. Previously, Thomas kicked his door in because he said Cvengros was playing his music too loud.

The couple called the police after that incident, and Thomas was cited for unlawful entry. Thomas, a military veteran, threatened both Cvengros and Gearhart on multiple occasions, and that was the reason Cvengros initially considered buying a weapon.

“I decided that it was my responsibility to protect myself and my girlfriend,” Cvengros said.

Cvengros consulted friends in the military, did some online research and watched gun safety videos on YouTube.

“I chose a 9mm because it’s popular with police and the military,” Cvengros said. “And I wanted something that wouldn’t be so big I couldn’t handle the recoil.”

His weapon became evidence in the case against Thomas, but Cvengros said the gun will be returned after the 42-day appeal period following sentencing.
The lessons I took away from viewing this video and reading Cvengros' first-hand tale?

(1) Multiple shots may not stop the aggressor in his tracks. In this case, it's not so much "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" as that the defender/victim got lucky and the aggressor's forward momentum did not carry him into the victim. With that big of a knife, the force from the aggressor falling forward after being shot - just as we saw in the video as it went out-of-frame - could very well have inflicted injury to the defender should the knife have made contact. Understand that the fight does not stop just because you've shot the threat, and that just because you've inflicted mortal wounds to the aggressor, he/she may well still be able to severely/mortally wound you.

(2) Have a backup weapon to immediately replace the one you will be losing to evidence.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Hmmm, he should have aimed a smidge higher.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Even then, we'd need to assume that the threat would collapse directly downward - essentially folding in on himself....

I think the big learning point for me is that what we think will happen in terms of "stopping the threat" may not necessarily be the case, and that with a contact weapon, we need to be aware that the threat can still be coming at us, even though he/she may be incapacitated, mortally wounded, or even deceased.
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Attacker: Why'd you kill me?

Victim: What??? You were gonna kill me!

Attacker: Yes I was.

Victim: Well, then I did the right thing!
That was a rather interesting exchange, wasn't it? The attacker is in shock that someone could/would (in this case potentially) kill him when he was trying to kill them. The criminal mind is a strange beast.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

TSiWRX wrote:^ Even then, we'd need to assume that the threat would collapse directly downward - essentially folding in on himself....

I think the big learning point for me is that what we think will happen in terms of "stopping the threat" may not necessarily be the case, and that with a contact weapon, we need to be aware that the threat can still be coming at us, even though he/she may be incapacitated, mortally wounded, or even deceased.

I always thought rounds to the Pelvis stops an advance faster then anything else other then a head shot...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ From what little I know, there's been continuing debate as to the efficacy of pelvic-girdle shots, particularly with handgun calibers. :(

Still not a sure thing.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

TSiWRX wrote:^ From what little I know, there's been continuing debate as to the efficacy of pelvic-girdle shots, particularly with handgun calibers. :(

Still not a sure thing.
I've always been dubious of the idea because it's a vague area to distinguish with one's sights, at least compared to center-of-mass or center-of-noggin. Add to this the complication of how not everybody wears their pants/slacks/whatever at the same level on their bodies. What you believe is the hipbone may be a little north or south of where that spot seems to you at the moment.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Despite having a pretty decent grasp of anatomy and having at least somewhat seriously read a few things regarding gunshot wounds, I was surprised that it took me until having viewed - only recently - the late Louis Awerbuck's presentation on "target selection" that I've come to realize what little we can have to work with, in terms of having a viable target, as the human body moves and contorts.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I like Gabe Suarez's advice, "shoot them in the face until they go down". :wink:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
JMO

Post by JMO »

Was that door made out of pie crust?
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JMO wrote:Was that door made out of pie crust?

lol... It did look like cardboard.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

TJW815 wrote:Hmmm, he should have aimed a smidge higher.
I was thinking maybe more shots fired.
And getting a front door that wasn't made of Frosted Mini-Wheats.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.