city of Delaware police

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jgi1020

city of Delaware police

Post by jgi1020 »

I was rear ended at a traffic light. Pulled out of traffic told the guy that hit me I would call the police. He took off. Called 911, gave description of the car, was told an officer would come to my location. Asked the operator to tell officer I had a permit and was armed he said no problem. Officer showed up, I informed and officer just said ok. After the report I thanked him for being so nonchalant about the gun. He said it was no big deal, he carries a gun too.

I know I didn't have to tell the 911 operator, however, I known the call would be recorded, I assumed he would tell the officer, and it might calm the situation if he (or she) was rookie and a little jumpy and not informed about CCW.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: city of Delaware police

Post by WayneB »

He said it was no big deal, he carries a gun too.
Favorite LE response thus far. :D
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Did they catch the hit and run driver?
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
docachna

Post by docachna »

jgi1020 wrote:I was rear ended at a traffic light. Pulled out of traffic told the guy that hit me I would call the police. He took off. Called 911, gave description of the car, was told an officer would come to my location. Asked the operator to tell officer I had a permit and was armed he said no problem.
Some may (probably will) disagree with me, but I personally think that is a good idea to tell the dispatcher. LEO's don't like the unknown. You telling the dispatcher that already conveys to most LEO that this guy is trying to be up front with me - i.e., he knows what he's dealing with. You'll always get the occasional "rogue", but I think for the most part, that helps start things on the right track. Certainly not required by statute, but I just don't think it hurts anything.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Unless the dispatcher just says, "He's got a gun."

:shock:
MyWifeSaidYes
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

Unless the dispatcher just says, "He's got a gun."
That leaves me wondering. Exactly what kind of training is required of dispatchers? How are statements like this avoided in thier communtications. There must be a myriad of situations where a dispatcher can communicate something in an 'unfortunate' way a situation over the radio.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
docachna

Post by docachna »

gfrlaser wrote: That leaves me wondering. Exactly what kind of training is required of dispatchers? ...
In too many departments, it's a question of whether they are able to fog a mirror or not. :oops:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

It has been my experience that the more information that is communicated the greater the chance for misunderstanding. Especially if that information is relayed through a third party. Keep it simple and confined to the facts of immediate concern is my philosophy.

I learned years ago to never inquire about more than one subject in a business letter. The subject you care least about will receive the greatest amount of attention.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member