How stupid are people these days??

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Willy P

How stupid are people these days??

Post by Willy P »

I had a nice day interupted this afternoon. Tom and I met on the west side of Col. to swap handguns and talk some . I really enjoyed that. Then I headed to work to hire back from sick leave for this neck surgery I had went through. On the way home I was beside a very nice black Dodge PU with interesting wheels and rims. I heard the two young men inside laugh as they talked and a minute later one leaned out of the passenger window almost all the way to my truck in the next lane and reached at me and started screaming. It started me laughing until he glared at me and asked " What's WRONG with you OLD MAN?" It puzzled me for a minute and then I told him " Nothing! That is why I'm allowed to carry a handgun in 30 states." Enraged he started to say something but his brain finally kicked into gear and he must have realized what I had just said as he slid back inside the cab and started talking and jesturing to his buddy. They turned off at the next street for some reason. Can't folks reason that someone that was scared by them could have wrecked into them or someone else trying to get away from them? I did stupid crap when I was young, OK I still do at times, but not like that and not violent.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Well, I thought it was funny. How come I never think of witty comebacks like that?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Chief some days the fecal matter in my head just runs out of my mouth before I can manage to hold it back. The kids just amazed me. Kids? they were in the early to mid 20's I'd say. So they were young men acting like kids I guess.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

I make it a practice to NEVER make eye contact with other drivers who are acting like buttholes.

I had an incident about 4 months ago.

I was making a right turn and a pu truck ran a red light and nearly hit me. It just so happened the road we both turned onto was a slow road so I followed the truck easily. The truck pulled into a wendy's. I said to myself, "this person really should know they nearly caused an accident." I pulled in being the truck and waited for the driver to get out. Turns out it was a chick...wearing a baseball cap....I thought it was a guy.

I said in a very nice way..."hello, do you realize you nearly caused an accident?" You'll never guess the response I got. She said, "I suppose yer gonna shoot me like this is a roadrage thing." Somewhat shocked, I said, "no, it don't intend to do anything of the sort." Mind you, I made absolutely NO REFERENCE to being armed. I simply repeated to her that she ran the light and nearly hit me. At this point the situation started to turn into a shouting match and I was getting pee'd off. We ended the affair by me calling her a f****** b**** and she called me something equally offensive and I drove off.

Moral of the story......even is some bonehead pulls a stupid stunt DO NO RESPOND IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO. I didn't have to follow that [deleted -- TR] and speak to her. I should have simply let it go and chalked it up to another typical stupid idiot behind the wheel. No harm done. That's the lesson I learned that day.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Every day I find another dozen or so people who need retraining.

And every day I have to remind myself that it is not my job to do so...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Well stopped side by side in rush hour traffic in town while both at a stop light doesn't lend itself to going anywhere unless I put it in 4 low and put 4 tons of truck through the cars ahead of me. I was so shocked at the stupidity level I had to laugh and like I said above I opened my mouth and what I said rolled out without thought with the guy hanging out the other trucks window a little over two feet away from my head. I just said it in a normal tone with little emotion. Ok I was still giggling a little but it was so stupid what he did. You had to be there I guess?

Jeff,
Following someone is not retreat and if it turned bad I wouldn't think you would have a legal leg to stand on. I would think you would have been the provoker. I about 99.99 percent gave up the getting upset in/at traffic about 15 years ago. I've felt lots better since.

Tom,
I gotta agree with you. The hard part is keeping that in mind, isn't it :D
Last edited by Willy P on Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:
Jeff,
Following someone is not retreat and if it turned bad I wouldn't think you would have a legal leg to stand on. I would think you would have been the provoker. I about 99.99 percent gave up the getting upset in/at traffic about 15 years ago. I've felt lots better since.
I'm pretty much there myself. Since I started carrying I've noticed a curious phenomena. It is much easier to save face. Before, when I was young and stupid, I felt like I had to do something when someone was a butt. Now, it's like I have the excuse I need to walk away. Heck, I don't want to go to prison over some butthead.

The saying goes that an armed society is a polite society...I believe that.
tommcnaughton wrote:Every day I find another dozen or so people who need retraining.

And every day I have to remind myself that it is not my job to do so...
That's good!! I'm gonna remember that one.

I'll tell you something else that helps....getting old. When we're young and full of juice we do STUPID things.

My endocrinologist offered me testosterone injections...this has been over two years ago. I have diabetes so I see an endocrinologist. Anyway SHE said they help with certain "dysfunctions". Well, frankly, the only "dysfunction" I have is I'm only interested about three times a month now, instead of three times a day. Everything still works....it's just more about quality these days than quantity...no problemo.....I actually have INTERESTS now.

I politely turned her down. Can you imagine what would happen to a 47 year old man with an 18 year old's libido???
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Can you imagine what would happen to a 47 year old man with an 18 year old's libido???
:D Jeff I could see that future. It would involve a hatchet and 4 undertakers to close the lid and get the smile off your face 8) and you would be down to about 100 pounds :oops:
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:
Can you imagine what would happen to a 47 year old man with an 18 year old's libido???
:D Jeff I could see that future. It would involve a hatchet and 4 undertakers to close the lid and get the smile off your face 8) and you would be down to about 100 pounds :oops:
I don't wanna go there. :cry:
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Petrofergov wrote:I'll tell you something else that helps....getting old. When we're young and full of juice we do STUPID things.
Yeah, we old guys just THINK stupid things...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Petrofergov wrote:Can you imagine what would happen to a 47 year old man with an 18 year old's libido???
TMI...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Safety Guy

Post by Safety Guy »

Cool story Willy. :)

However, I'd be afraid that telling anyone (especially someone who is looking for trouble) that I'm armed could be the prelude to having the cops called on me just for spite. Yes, there's "open car carry," but that doesn't mean they will always see it.

I don't have any better retort, though.

Karl
I WANT VERMONT! (OR "ALASKA")
That's FIRST AMENDMENT CRUSADER PIGLET!
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

This thread has kind of spun off topic, but I have to say that Petrofergov's earlier posts were the right thing to do.

By basically telling the "kids" you had a gun, you not only escalated the situation (which could cost you the self defense claim), but then they also could have whipped out the ol' cellphone and told the police you threatened to shoot them. Bad mojo.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Technically, he didn't tell them he was armed - just licensed. Any inferrence was their's...
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Hence my use of the word "basically."
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder