My OHSP stop friday grrrrr

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pirateguy191

Re: My OHSP stop friday grrrrr

Post by pirateguy191 »

Who is discussing shooting police officers?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

WestonDon wrote:Probably not a good idea to continue a discussion about shooting police officers. :roll: Just sayin'.

Ummm...What? You must be reading something entirely different than I am.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WestonDon wrote:Probably not a good idea to continue a discussion about shooting police officers. :roll: Just sayin'.

When something like this happens we always assume the officer is ignorant of the law and needs more training. I am starting to question that assumption. CC has been the law for a decade now and I have to believe encountering CHL holders is not a rare occurrence for most officers. I also question why no citation was issued in this case if the officer felt so strongly about the issue.
The big thing I think is that it happens because nobody officially corrects them. You can call me at my work and tell me the sky is blue. I will deny agreeing with you because I believe it's clear and reflectivity makes it blue. We can go back and forth, and I'll stand my ground and you stand yours. Now, you make a complaint against me or show me proof that it's blue, I'll believe you. Until then, I'm stuck in my ways. Same logic for notification and half the CHL laws.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:

When something like this happens we always assume the officer is ignorant of the law and needs more training. I am starting to question that assumption. CC has been the law for a decade now and I have to believe encountering CHL holders is not a rare occurrence for most officers. I also question why no citation was issued in this case if the officer felt so strongly about the issue.
The big thing I think is that it happens because nobody officially corrects them. You can call me at my work and tell me the sky is blue. I will deny agreeing with you because I believe it's clear and reflectivity makes it blue. We can go back and forth, and I'll stand my ground and you stand yours. Now, you make a complaint against me or show me proof that it's blue, I'll believe you. Until then, I'm stuck in my ways. Same logic for notification and half the CHL laws.
I think around here it's slightly less than clear :wink:
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

WestonDon wrote:When something like this happens we always assume the officer is ignorant of the law and needs more training.
I almost never assume that.

My first assumption is that he doesn't CARE what the law is. It isn't all that rare for them to come right out and SAY it either.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

pirateguy191 wrote:Who is discussing shooting police officers?
All I saw was a mention of a cop unlawfully shooting a motorcyclist in the back.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

deanimator wrote:
WestonDon wrote:When something like this happens we always assume the officer is ignorant of the law and needs more training.
I almost never assume that.

My first assumption is that he doesn't CARE what the law is. It isn't all that rare for them to come right out and SAY it either.
I would say it's 50/50. I work with an officer that until about two years ago thought everyone had to notify regardless of carrying or not. For this officer it was pure ignorance, however, he didn't care either way. He's not the hard*butt* type that would arrest you if you forgot and were carrying.

I think the laws in this state are so complex and change so often it's near impossible to expect officers to truly enforce them. And I would have no problem telling our elected that when they thinking about passing an anti bill. Heck, I'll even bring up bills they themselves have introduced and see if they even know what they all had written in them. The worst is when they update the traffic code, it's usually around 150 pages long and I would say 2/3 don't read it, and the other 1/3 read it and forget what it says since there was so much to read.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I think the laws in this state are so complex and change so often it's near impossible to expect officers to truly enforce them.
And yet a 9th grade dropout who's NOT a cop is expected to know EVERY line of the ORC, at least to the extent that he doesn't violate it.

That's why I haven't got one iota of sympathy for a cop who can't be bothered to know the "law" he purports to be ENFORCING... RIGHT NOW... or even whether it's a law AT ALL.

He won't think twice about trying to destroy your life for something that's NOT a crime. I believe in returning the favor when he does.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

tbrew85 wrote: He was polite but "jokingly" asked "You aren't going to shoot me are you". I ignored his comment and he proceeded with his statement about why they were there and sent me on my way. He never asked a single question. (Other than if I was going to shoot him or not) :roll: . Overall, his demeanor was pleasant, and Im sure it was just his attempt at humor. I should have answered with a "Not unless you give me a reason", but I just went on my way.
My comment about discussing shooting officers was in reference to the comment above. I did not mean to imply that anyone here was doing such a thing. :oops: :oops:
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

ShadowMech, I understand how you feel, but I would make an open records request for the Trooper's audio and video recordings of your stop and review them BEFORE complaining about his attitude.

I have to agree with BobK that you could have simply slowed down or stopped to let the guy get some distance. I can just imagine the judge with a bike telling you how dumb it sounds to put the inattentive cager behind you...on purpose. That's how bikers get run over.

I have NO problem with fighting the ticket, but you should definitely check to see if there is some problem with the complaint part of the ticket or that you were somehow denied due process.

There are a bunch of citable cases listed at the Ohio Public Defender's web site (http://opd.ohio.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) under OPD Resources - Criminal Law Casebook.

You can also find the Traffic Rules and Criminal Rules at the Supreme Court of Ohio's web site (http://www.sconet.state.oh.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) under Ohio Rules of Court.

I'm not a lawyer. I'm just listing places where you can find information to use if you don't hire an attorney.

Now, as far as his comments about notifying? Definitely worth the time for an in-person meeting with his post commander COMBINED WITH the video/audio of his treatment toward you AND a copy of R.C. 2923.126 with the line "...and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time..." highlighted for him.

Oh, yeah. Have a voice recorder running during THAT meeting.
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MWSY....how's he getting that video?

Appeals court: Dash-cam video isn’t public

While the ruling is only in one district of Ohio, you don't think it doesn't apply to all OSP posts? And they will all follow it until a higher verdict tells them otherwise. Just something to think about.

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:MWSY....how's he getting that video?

1. He contests the traffic citation, requests discovery and demands the dash-cam video; or
  2. He pays the waiver on the traffic citation, closes the case and demands the video as public record.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Werz wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:MWSY....how's he getting that video?

1. He contests the traffic citation, requests discovery and demands the dash-cam video; or
  2. He pays the waiver on the traffic citation, closes the case and demands the video as public record.
I was going to add both of those but figured he was set on trying to fight the ticket so the first option is really the only way to go. At that point he's just adding fees onto a violation which he admitted he committed.

I would say he takes the second option if he wants the fastest closure on the case with the officer as well. Then he can request the video and see what really happened from a different view. Then make a decision about going in to file a complaint.

rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

JediSkipdogg wrote: I would say it's 50/50. I work with an officer that until about two years ago thought everyone had to notify regardless of carrying or not. For this officer it was pure ignorance, however, he didn't care either way. He's not the hard*butt* type that would arrest you if you forgot and were carrying.

Why doesn't his brother officers correct him ???? If they know that he is not correct and is ignorant of the law, pull him aside and have a little chat with him.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

rouger10 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote: I would say it's 50/50. I work with an officer that until about two years ago thought everyone had to notify regardless of carrying or not. For this officer it was pure ignorance, however, he didn't care either way. He's not the hard*butt* type that would arrest you if you forgot and were carrying.

Why doesn't his brother officers correct him ???? If they know that he is not correct and is ignorant of the law, pull him aside and have a little chat with him.
How did they know? When I found out I corrected him, but that was just in a casual conversation when we were talking about a notification elimination bill.