Great Lakes Mall Incident

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tonyreo

Great Lakes Mall Incident

Post by tonyreo »

Does anyone know if the Great Lakes Mall in Mentor no longer allows concealed carry?
I remember a while back they removed their no gun signs but I had an experience that made me feel otherwise.

My son and I went into Sears and decided to look at the sun glasses in the optical department.
I was carrying in a holster on my belt with my long shirt covering.
My son had a shoulder rig with a light jacket covering it.
While looking at the sunglasses my son said “we need to leave”, he sounded upset so I walked out with him.
When we got out of the optical department he said the lady at the desk had grabbed the phone and ducked behind the wall and he heard her say “there is a man with a gun up here”.
We started walking to the other end of the mall to go to our truck and noticed there were three “mall cops” following us. When we got outside they continued to follow us. We then got in the truck and left.
When they were following us I wanted to stop, turn around and ask him if something was wrong, while showing my permit. I didn’t though thinking it could escalate the situation.
I don’t want to make a big deal of it with the mall operators for fear they may repost the no gun signs.
Atilla

Re: Great Lakes Mall Incident

Post by Atilla »

"Mall cops" are not law enforcement so no need to show your permit, or license as it is more properly called. But if they asked you to leave you'd need to leave. GL Mall and Beachwood Place used to have 'no weapons' listed is a long line of rules listed on a page inside the foyer of their malls. I usually enter through an anchor store and the type is too small to be readily observable anyway.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
ohiozx3

Post by ohiozx3 »

there aren't any gun buster signs up, but on their " code of conduct" boards that are posted at the entrances states no weapons.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

ohiozx3 wrote:there aren't any gun buster signs up, but on their " code of conduct" boards that are posted at the entrances states no weapons.
Define "entrances".

Those "code of conduct" signs aren't usually posted on the exterior entrances to anchor stores, hence Atilla's comment above about using those entrances.
MyWifeSaidYes
ohiozx3

Post by ohiozx3 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
ohiozx3 wrote:there aren't any gun buster signs up, but on their " code of conduct" boards that are posted at the entrances states no weapons.
Define "entrances".

Those "code of conduct" signs aren't usually posted on the exterior entrances to anchor stores, hence Atilla's comment above about using those entrances.

correct. all the actually mall entrances have it, but dicks, jc penny and so on do not.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.