Arlington Height, OH PD - Ouch!

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Arlington Height, OH PD - Ouch!

Post by oldmic »

Well, I've wondered how I would be treated if stopped; now I know. And since it was an expensive answer, thought I should share...

Left work early last night to run an errand. North on I-75 trying to beat the rush hour. Carrying my bug only, Beretta 3032. I carry it in a pocket holster, and when I drive, I transfer it to an open fanny pack holster that I leave in the car.

Come around a sweeping turn near exit 12 and see the police car sitting off to the side - normal reaction, hit the brake, look at the speedo and I'm still going 65, in a 55! Yikes, this won't be cheap. Well, it's been about 10 years or more since I've even been stopped, so I guess my luck ran out.

Pull over and stop, hands outstretched over the steering wheel, he approaches, says he got me at 75 in a 55 and asks for license and registration, proof of insurance; I say "Yes sir, but I need to inform you that I have license to carry a concealed weapon and I'm armed."

He says, "May I take it?" and I say sure, but it's loaded and there's one in the chamber." So he reaches in and removes it and goes back to the car.

Runs my stuff and returns with the ticket and hands me the magazine, the round that was in the chamber, the pistol and the ticket.

Two thoughts:

1. I was curious if he would give me any slack on the speed - after all, I had veteran plates on the car (big deal) :lol: AND, I've passed the background check for a concealed carry license, so I haven't exactly lived a life of crime.

So what did he write it for? Of course, 75 in a 55 - cause that's how fast I was going! No problem, my attitude is that you can do whatever you want in this life, as long as you're willing to pay the price. Nobody owes you a break.

And oh ya, THANKS OFFICER HARDCASE FOR GIVING ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS A LITTLE SLACK! Just kidding. :lol: I deserved it.

2. I was uncomfortable having him remove a loaded handgun from me, but he was careful, didn't sweep me with the muzzle, so no complaint there.

I know that some of you believe he shouldn't disarm me - I believe that if he feels unsafe doing his job, he's welcome to take it.

So, I'm $130 samoleans lighter this morning, but none the worse for wear, I guess.

Oh ya, you might want to watch your speed on I-75 North - at around Exit 12 :roll:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

oldmic, the AHPD works their short stretch of I-75 quite a bit. That little burg doesn't have many other ways of raising revenue these days; very little retail commerce, and the industrial base ain't near what it used to be. And of course they are landlocked, so future potential income sources are limited.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

I usually use I-71, but since they closed off the 5th street entrance I go up I-75. Well, I hope Arlington Heights prospers with the help of my "contribution". I shoud at least get some sort of certificate of appreciation, don't you think? Oh ya, I guess I did - probably won't frame it though.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

oldmic, you forgot 2 points. Do they still do that or am I showing my age? :?
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

Willy P wrote:oldmic, you forgot 2 points. Do they still do that or am I showing my age? :?
Oh man, I forgot about that part - now I need to check that too. And I'm sure my insurance company will squeeze a few more pesos out of me - don't ya think? No one to blame but myself.

Well, at least my wife found it amusing - she said that eats up my "gun-related purchases" for awhile. (Good thing that new Milt Sparks takes so long to deliver - she'll forget by then). :wink:

Mic
JSK333

Post by JSK333 »

It's interesting that he said "May I?" I wonder what he would have said or done if you said you preferred if he didn't?

It seems he could have just taken it w/o asking, according to HB12.
Solomon
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

JSK333 wrote:It's interesting that he said "May I?" I wonder what he would have said or done if you said you preferred if he didn't?

It seems he could have just taken it w/o asking, according to HB12.
He was professional about everything. He even hesitated after saying "may I" - but I read that as just another "attitude" check. If I would have said, "I'd rather you didn't", I suspect he had several alternative in mind. He hadn't seen my carry license yet, and the handgun was very accessible. I was being polite, so he was being polite - at least that's my take on it, in hindsight.
Tom Wills

Post by Tom Wills »

After reading about your "incident", it got me wondering. If he gave you your gun, magazine, and cartridge all back to you in seperately. What did you do with them before you drove off? To make it perfectly legal, you would have had to exit the car, install mag in gun, rack slide, remove mag, top off mag and reinsert all standing beside car along highway, put gun in holster and then enter back in you car. Doesn't seem like a logical thing to do standing along a highway with cars flying past at 60 mph.
Tom Wills
The 2nd Amendment.....It ain't about hunting