Traffic Stop, Disagreement with Officer about ORC

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Traffic Stop, Disagreement with Officer about ORC

Post by CroManGun »

Werz wrote:
CroManGun wrote:
Werz wrote:[*] I do have a problem with officers posing questions like "Do you have something else to give me?" or "Did you forget something?" It's not unlawful, but it's a bit smug, arrogant and rude.

My response would be: "Are you soliciting a bribe?"
Here's my thought on "clever comments" ...

An officer may have discretion as to whether you get a warning or a traffic citation. Which one do you think a clever comment will get you?

The officer may also opt to note your clever comment on the Uniform Traffic Ticket. Then the judge will get to hear it when he/she determines the penalty. What effect do you think that will have?

Just sayin' ...
The majority of LEO's I have crossed paths with have conducted themselves in a manner in which "clever comments" were not necessary. As to the few whose conduct has elicited such comments; I refuse to speak any slower just so they will better understand me.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

Sent an email to the Police Chief this evening:

I am writing to relay a conversation that I had with a ______________ officer on the evening of April 30, 2014.  I apologize that I do not have the officer’s name.  I was stopped while driving home due to a traffic violation.  The officer was courteous and appropriate.  I have no complaint regarding the stop or the officer’s conduct.  I will briefly describe the conversation below and the reason for my email.

I have an Ohio CHL, but I was not armed the evening of April 30 when stopped.  I did not notify, as the ORC does not require that I notify if I am unarmed.  The officer requested to see my CHL (after running my plates and seeing that the vehicle is registered to the holder of a CHL).  I complied, but questioned the officer about his understanding of the ORC.  He also stated that a CHL holder, as an unarmed passenger in a car, would need to notify if ID was requested by an officer.  We had a pleasant exchange and I did not press my point regarding the ORC and the requirement to notify.

I have not included the relevant sections of the ORC or the CHL guidelines from the Ohio Attorney General.  I trust that you are familiar with these documents.  The purpose of my email today is simply to relay the above experience with the hope of helping our officers have a good understanding of the mentioned items.

I have profound respect for law enforcement officers and I appreciate your service and the service of the officer mentioned above.

I am available for further discussion if needed.  Thank you.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Personally, I would have included the relevant sections of the ORC, just to make it easier for them.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Bell2

Post by Bell2 »

I have only had my license a few days and have not had any reason to talk to to an officer, if stopped and I was not carrying I would not have any problem telling him or her that I have the license but was not currently armed. It only costs me a few words and I think it will facilitate the a happy resolution to the situation. Do I have a problem if anyone else declines to do so ...for goodness sakes no! Everybody must make up their own mind as to what they will do.
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

Bell2 wrote:I have only had my license a few days and have not had any reason to talk to to an officer, if stopped and I was not carrying I would not have any problem telling him or her that I have the license but was not currently armed. It only costs me a few words and I think it will facilitate the a happy resolution to the situation. Do I have a problem if anyone else declines to do so ...for goodness sakes no! Everybody must make up their own mind as to what they will do.
Are you saying that if you're not armed that you're going to notify the officer that you're not armed?
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

CroManGun wrote:I'm not going to argue law with a LEO that is wrong, I just call for a supervisor that is hopefully better schooled in the applicable law. So far, I've had four occasions where the supervisor agreed with me, none where they didn't. Knowledge is power, know the law!
This is exactly why I urge people to download and carry a copy of my concealed carry guide. I originally wrote it for this very purpose, to use as a reference when questions arise while you're out and about. It has direct text from the Ohio Revised Code, highlights the most relevant sections, and then provides commentary to help explain it. Any officer you're speaking with can see it directly out of the ORC. I carry a printed copy and a copy on my smartphone. I again suggest everyone here do the same. The link is in my signature below.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

^ Very cool. Thank you. ^