Reaction with LEO encounters

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OhioPaints

Re: Reaction with LEO encounters

Post by OhioPaints »

I suppose it depends upon how you define "abusive".
Of course you have to define "misfit".
No, definitions are not necessary. Where ever you draw the line, if humans are involved, some will always be beyond the line.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

OhioPaints wrote:
I suppose it depends upon how you define "abusive".
Of course you have to define "misfit".
No, definitions are not necessary. Where ever you draw the line, if humans are involved, some will always be beyond the line.
Yes, but WHOSE "line"?

Your line and Tony Abbate's are probably VERY different...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Thug Hunter

Post by Thug Hunter »

Metal1 wrote:This misinformation about LEO's having a "dangerous" job gets repeated over and over. It doesn't even make the top 10 in most years. Even then it isn't because of shootings or inherent danger but traffic accidents.

Nest time you see a roofer or a fisherman you'll relaize a dangerous job.
That depends on how one defines "dangerous."

Being a cop is not the most deadly job in the US, and as stated, usually doesn't make the top 10 most years.

I'm not going to search the information superhighway again for it, but I recently saw a study which stated that police officers are the profession most likely to be assaulted, and the most likely to be injured on the job.

While it is tough to definitely pinpoint reasons for a decrease in deaths of police officers, the decrease coincides with improvements in defensive tactics training (including firearms training) and the common use of body armor.

One difference between deaths of cops and most other professions appears to be that the people killed in other professions were very likely to have caused or contributed to their own deaths, while the deaths of police officers are usually the fault of other people.
"Luckily, I keep my feathers numbered, for just such an emergency."- Foghorn Leghorn

"You can't arrest somebody for that. The most you can do is mace him and let him get away."- Thug Hunter
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Thug Hunter wrote:One difference between deaths of cops and most other professions appears to be that the people killed in other professions were very likely to have caused or contributed to their own deaths, while the deaths of police officers are usually the fault of other people.
I'd like to say something about this claim - which is probably unsupported - but I won't. I think it speaks for itself. :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
starride

Post by starride »

charliej47 wrote::shock: When I was growing up I was taught to be polite to my elders, strangers and to be helpful to all people. :shock:

I can remember having numerous encounters with the police as a child and teen. All of us had fairly good rapport with the local police. we knew most of their names and they knew us.

I would say that things started to change in the 90s where the police stopped being "officer friendly" and started becoming an adversary.

As one person stated most of us only report the bad and not the good. I try to report both. It just seems that there are more bad than good.

In the last 16 months, I have had about 6 encounters. Only one where I was stopped because of a bad light. The other 5 were do to trespass issues and such. All of the other issues I was the innocent party or bystander that got pulled in to the issue. All of the encounters I was treated in such a manner as to make me feel that I was a second class citizen.

I grew up in Reading Ohio in the 80's. The police force and Mayors court were very corrupt. The Lead detective liked little boys, the Sargent was a drunk that later became Chief then proceeded to wreck hic cruiser, on a street with no turns or hills, in a drunken stupor, hitting something like 12 cars.

I have very seldom seen police treat anyone with respect, very often seen police treat people like second class citizens. I am not saying that all are like this, but my experience has been more negative than positive. and quite frankly it saddens me.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I began driving in the mid 60s. Back then they had township constables. This was the classic "good ol' boy" setup. Thinking back, those guys were not much more than a block watchman with too much authority and not enough accountability. I am so glad they are gone from Ohio. Especially with our "duty to inform" law.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
omp

Post by omp »

I was raised to believe that police officers were friendly and willing and able to help.

I've read through this topic and have read so many stories online about world events. I am nervous and I have never done anything wrong.

I am new to the conceal carry community. I joined this forum for advice and information.
Safety of my family is my number one priority.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

omp wrote:I was raised to believe that police officers were friendly and willing and able to help.

I've read through this topic and have read so many stories online about world events. I am nervous and I have never done anything wrong.

I am new to the conceal carry community. I joined this forum for advice and information.
Welcome to the forum! And welcome to the CC community!
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

This is not an attempt to change the subject here but thought this was relevant to this subject so please bear with me a little here.....

In my attempt (along with many others who are pushing the same), to get our sch. board to allow facaulty to get trained and be armed, we will have to deal with a police chief in Beach City with an arrogant, narsisistic (sorry for the spelling), personality, in the town where the sch. dist. buildings are located.

Everyone please understand that I am not saying this about him as though I'm name calling, I'm mearly stating his obvious personality.

I've recently spoke with a psychologist about this man ,(no, I don't need her services, though some might disagree, lol). The conversation was pretty interesting.......describing the personality trait(s), how they think, why they think the way they do, why they get so bent out of shape when you question their position, authority, abilities, credentials an such and why doing so is so threatening to them. This conversation I had with her,I will be conveying to the sch. board as reason why they should not take his advice to not allow facualty to carry. In his mind, no ordinary citizen w/ a firearm, could ever stop a shooter and admitting so belittles his position and training, once again, in his mind. She also said that, in this specific situation. he may have picked this line of work to elivate him to a position of authority over others because he felt inadicate in his childhood or bullied or some other situation that made him feel lower class. Point she made was, that law enforcement is a common profession for certain narcisistic personalities, which, I believe is the issue in this perticular case.

This may be the reason why "some" leo's are this way, not just their training.

I had a question for this chief about attending a meeting w/ the sch. board about arming facualty and he, basically, went ballistic on me in his office,(I'll never do that again with him without witness's around). Wish I had the conversation on tape!

Just my $.02.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

You are referring to the "bully" personality type of LEO. Most LE organizations try to weed these types out. There is an elivated risk of them over reacting to situations (you end up with pregnant women tasered when pulled over for speeding).
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

catfish86 wrote:You are referring to the "bully" personality type of LEO. Most LE organizations try to weed these types out. There is an elivated risk of them over reacting to situations (you end up with pregnant women tasered when pulled over for speeding).
Bullying is "only" part of it...... it's "much more than that"......the discussion I've had with others along with the psychologist has opened my eye's to understanding this mental disorder.

One thing the psychologist mentioned that I never thought of, was the possibility that he doesn't want others armed in the building in the hopes that his dept. or (in his mind, hopefully) he himself, will stop the shooter, and getting the glory and pat on the back for stopping the carnage, if you will, which is what his type of personality craves, regardless of the deaths his view will probably cost the sch. system.

Bullying is not the personality it'self, it is one of many traits or signs of his kind of personality, if I'm saying that right and the board needs to understand this and if the board doesn't want to hear it, the chief personality is going to have to be publicly exposed either by letters in the local paper, through open carry walks or other means to discredit his opinion in public and I'm currently looking into the legalities of doing this.......not that the public isn't aware of his views......there are many, even in his own town that don't like the man, so......

I didn't really want my comments here, to spin this thread off topic, but the issues/problems we are or will, (undoutedly), have with him in pushing our agenda, may explain why "some" in law enforcement are the way they are.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

catfish86 wrote:You are referring to the "bully" personality type of LEO. Most LE organizations try to weed these types out.
I'm not saying definitively that they DON'T, but what's your evidence that they DO? Over the years, I haven't seen much behavioral evidence that demonstrates that to be true. In fact, I've repeatedly seen quite the opposite.
catfish86 wrote:There is an elivated risk of them over reacting to situations (you end up with pregnant women tasered when pulled over for speeding).
And in a LARGE percentage of those incidents, you will see the perpetrators justified and their actions determined to be "within departmental policy".

But what happens even when it's NOT? Exactly WHAT "punishment" has befallen the cops who shot up the vehicles of the two Hispanic paper delivery women and the surfer, and who shot or injured all three?

By contrast how were the victims treated?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

deanimator wrote:
catfish86 wrote:You are referring to the "bully" personality type of LEO. Most LE organizations try to weed these types out.
I'm not saying definitively that they DON'T, but what's your evidence that they DO? Over the years, I haven't seen much behavioral evidence that demonstrates that to be true. In fact, I've repeatedly seen quite the opposite.
The bulk of your experience has been with urban police departments, yes?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Werz wrote:
deanimator wrote:
The bulk of your experience has been with urban police departments, yes?
As well as small town departments. Admittedly, the Fulton, MO PD were more "Dumb and Dumber" than "Training Day".

Of course if you live in Cleveland or Columbus, what the cops do in Fremont or Tiffin is of primarily academic interest.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

deanimator wrote:Of course if you live in Cleveland or Columbus, what the cops do in Fremont or Tiffin is of primarily academic interest.
Perhaps. But many who live in exurban environments do so quite intentionally. In urban police departments, the increased thuggery in the departments match nicely the increased thuggery on the streets. That's why many of us choose not to live there.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.