Intersting Encounter at work after a bank robery.

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

Intersting Encounter at work after a bank robery.

Post by synack2 »

I was working and was on break and having a cigarette and drinking some coffee while sitting in my truck. I work for a Credit Union, and I cannot carry inside my work while onsite at one of the branches (a lot of times I work from home). They have signs that say "No Concealed Weapons" and I don't want to get fired for trying to open carry. Since I work for a credit union, I normally unlock my weapon and put it on while I am on break in the parking lot, and then lock it up before I go inside. While I am outside smoking, I am seeing a lot of cop cars driving by, and I see one cop that has pulled up in a parking lot across the way and is looking at me. At one point he gets his binoculars out and takes a closer look at which point I smile and wave (I stopped short of getting my binoculars out and looking back). A minute goes by and the cop has left. Next thing is I hear a police radio outside my truck behind me, and then a cop steps up and says "They said inside you were the man that could help me" I said "I have a license to carry a concealed handgun and I am armed at this time" while holding my hands in view He says "Oh, Really?" "I said "Yes, Really" He then proceeds to tell me there has been a robbery down the street at a bank, and he is wanting to know how far out our security cameras go. I tell him I am the IT Director, and I am not sure how for out the cameras go, but we can go in a look at the DVR and check. I told him I have to lock up my weapon before I can go inside though. He says that is fine then tells me the "Dog tracked the person right back to here and then they lost him and he is hoping one of our cameras may have seen something" I then step out an hold up my hands in view and ask again "So It is Okay if I touch my gun, remove it, and lock it in my safe?" He says yeah "What kind of gun you got?" like he wants me to show him, I told him it is a little 5 shot 22 NAA and he looks at me, like he is expecting me to take it out and show it to him. I said "Look, normally I would be happy to show it to you, but I don't want to be here with you holding a gun if one of your colleagues pulls up just after a bank robbery." He stops smiling and is like "Oh, Okay... Go ahead and lock it up then" I locked it up without incident and we went inside to view the cameras the footage they wanted. Then I am outside taking the rest of my break and I am armed again, and the Detective and the FBI Agent show up at my truck window. I identify to them again that i am armed. They could seem to care less and don't ask any questions about my gun or even acknowledge that I said I am armed. We had a brief discussion and I told them I would archive the footage to DVD for them and we exchanged phone numbers and they left. They returned a little later to view the footage while I was inside the branch, but I wasn't armed at that point.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Intersting Encounter at work after a bank robery.

Post by Javelin Man »

When you showed him your NAA .22 I was half-expecting the reaction from the North Korean Army Captain in M.A.S.H. when Frank Burns pulled out his little .25: "What the H*** is THAT!?" *laughter*
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Interesting indeed. Thank you for sharing. On a side note, usage of paragraphs and avoidance of run-on sentences would make it easier to read. :-)
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Is it really wise to wear your gun at every break if you stay in the vehicle? Just thinking about multiple handling and chance of ND!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
cooltc2004

Post by cooltc2004 »

Cruiser wrote:Just thinking about multiple handling and chance of ND!
I think that's a poor reason for not handling a firearm. Why put it on at all?
Yes its excessive handling, but I would want to be armed as much as possible as well.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Lots of threads on gun handling...

This is another good reason to carry a gun in a holster that can be removed holster and gun at the same time....I AIN'T TOUCHING my gun PERIOD...

I love my Serpa...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Carmen, I truly hope they don't make a Serpa for a NAA .22 mini-revolver... although it would be worth a laugh to see someone wearing one! :)
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

I don't worry too much about ND. With and NAA being a single action revolver with the hammer locked in the half notch. Mine has the fold around trigger guard that covers the trigger too and it has a clip to clip it in your pocket like a pocket knife. When I have the Bersa I have it in a pocket holster and remove it all at once. I think being armed on break was a good idea since the bank next door got robbed and the guy left on foot and ran by my truck 3 minutes before I went outside. Not to mention he had to stop and decide do I rob the credit union or the bank before he committed the crime. I guess they caught the guy (his family turned him in) and he had robbed a wright-pat credit union before not to long ago.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

That's interesting. I didn't know that the FBI shows up at every bank robbery.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

glocksmith wrote:That's interesting. I didn't know that the FBI shows up at every bank robbery.
If the bank is FDIC-insured, the FBI has jurisdiction to investigate. In such cases, they will usually make an appearance. That does not mean the robbery will be prosecuted federally, and for cases prosecuted in state courts, it is sometimes difficult to get the FBI agents to show up for trial.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.