unarmed traffic stop

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

Re: unarmed traffic stop

Post by SMMAssociates »

djthomas:

Two cars here that (presuming my wife doesn't fool with them) turn their headlights on and off automatically, and do "running lights" when the headlights are off.... No longer a problem....

But, in the Lincoln, the only way you can tell the headlights are on is if you've got the radio on, and can see a little extra light around the power/volume knob. (The dash lights get dimmer automatically at night, but it's hard to tell the difference after dark.) The Caddy's less helpful :D....

(Before you think "Rich guy - a Caddy and a Lincoln" - the newest one is a '99.)

The wife has no idea how any of that stuff works, and if she starts trying to adjust the status of the lights, she mucks them up. (Mom originally owned the Caddy - she used to call me to tell me that the lights refused to go off. "Mom, call me back in ten minutes if they haven't gone off yet." Usually, they did.... I miss her....)

(Sidebar: Allen - wb8ywy or something like that - it was the fuel lines....)

The wife doesn't understand the radio or climate controls either....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

SMMAssociates wrote:and do "running lights" when the headlights are off.... No longer a problem....
DRLs are a huge part of the problem. They're dimmer than regular headlights, and they fool the fools into thinking their lights are on.

There ought to be signs that mention that your taillights don't illuminate when just your DRLs are on. <argh>

Then again, the concept of using lights to be seen by others seems to be lost on most drivers these days.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
mreising

Post by mreising »

jabeatty wrote:
SMMAssociates wrote:and do "running lights" when the headlights are off.... No longer a problem....
DRLs are a huge part of the problem. They're dimmer than regular headlights, and they fool the fools into thinking their lights are on.

There ought to be signs that mention that your taillights don't illuminate when just your DRLs are on. <argh>

Then again, the concept of using lights to be seen by others seems to be lost on most drivers these days.
Many cars with DRLs have automatic headlights, but not all. I would like to see the headlights at least tied to the wiper switch so they are on, as required by OH law, whenever the wipers are on. I had a pseudo-fix for this on my old Crown Vic. It had auto headlights that came on at night so I put a piece of Velcro over part of the daylight sensor so the lights came on earlier when it started to get darker. It worked if the clouds were heavy enough and if I wanted "DRLs" I just put the Velcro over the entire sensor so the lights were on with the ignition but didn't get inadvertently left on when I exited the car.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

If I were making a complaint to the OSP, I would make the complaint directly to Colonel Paul A. Pride, Patrol Superintendent, in Columbus. I would ask for a reply. I would forward a copy of the complaint to my state representative and to my state senator, and so note on my letter to Superintendent Pride.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I cover the sensor with a rag so the lights come on with the ignition. They go off automatically when the ignition is off after a short delay. Improves daytime visibility IMO and never have to remember to turn them on in light rain, drizzle, fog, etc. The only disadvantage is in certain lighting conditions the dash lights don't show up well.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mark:

The Lincoln does that now.... :D

I considered the "piece of tape" solution, but this was more fun.... HOT day in September to install it.... I should know better.

The Caddy's "running lights" setup is independent of the rest of the light setup, so the automatic headlights and delay all work normally.

I'm aware of the lack of rear lights, btw, but by the time it gets dark enough to really matter, the main headlight setup has powered up, turning the rear lights on, too.

Unless the wife or daughter had played with it.... But the running lights on both cars aren't sufficient to see well when it gets dark enough to really need them for my benefit, and they can't muck up the running lights. There seems to be no way to kill 'em in the Caddy, and while there is a switch hiding under the Hi-Band radio in the Lincoln, they don't know what it's for :D....

I forget the advertised setting, but I think the module in the Lincoln takes the headlights to about 70%, which is pretty decent for being seen, and a little help when it gets a little dark.

Both of these also neatly get by the "turn your lights on when it's raining" laws, where present. More than enough visibility for others. IMHO, your rear lights just aren't all that much help until it's really dark anyway.

Now, if I can get that switch out of the Lincoln before my wife finds it.... :D

(The guys at the Lincoln dealership never quite figured out what that big module was for. I tended to turn the DRL off there :) .)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
mreising

Post by mreising »

Stu: On Ford products, the DRLs operate by running the high beam headlights in series. This has the net effect of the individual lights operating at reduced voltage so they are dimmer and it also results in negligible effect on the longevity of the filaments. Other makes probably operate similarly.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mark:

Seems logical, except that if you lose one bulb.... :D

I never could find the Ford module - the one I ended up with seems to work differently, but mostly I ended up with a whole lot splice work to install it, but I don't think I actually cut anything. Mostly, it's HUGE, though. Lots of extra wires that weren't needed, and one magic line that turned the lights off if grounded or connected to +12 (I forget which).

I think I did find the connector, though - it'd be nice to have installed the Ford module (one click and you're done). But I had the time, and probably saved some money.

I had wig-wag headlights on several of my cars, using a home-made "module". Not a lot to it, and in those days the parts were readily available. I'm not sure the flasher still is - old-fashioned thermal type. I built a couple - one was kind of water sensitive. If it got wet, the lights flashed.... That was kind of fun to try to explain. (I used a relay to avoid switching a lot of current with a little bitty switch inside the car. Worked great, but when the relay got damp, it'd switch ON.... Figured it out when a Columbus PD Officer walked over to my car and asked if I had a problem.... :mrgreen:)

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

SMMAssociates wrote:Mark:

The Lincoln does that now.... :D

I considered the "piece of tape" solution, but this was more fun.... HOT day in September to install it.... I should know better.

The Caddy's "running lights" setup is independent of the rest of the light setup, so the automatic headlights and delay all work normally.

I'm aware of the lack of rear lights, btw, but by the time it gets dark enough to really matter, the main headlight setup has powered up, turning the rear lights on, too.

Unless the wife or daughter had played with it.... But the running lights on both cars aren't sufficient to see well when it gets dark enough to really need them for my benefit, and they can't muck up the running lights. There seems to be no way to kill 'em in the Caddy, and while there is a switch hiding under the Hi-Band radio in the Lincoln, they don't know what it's for :D....

I forget the advertised setting, but I think the module in the Lincoln takes the headlights to about 70%, which is pretty decent for being seen, and a little help when it gets a little dark.

Both of these also neatly get by the "turn your lights on when it's raining" laws, where present. More than enough visibility for others. IMHO, your rear lights just aren't all that much help until it's really dark anyway.

Now, if I can get that switch out of the Lincoln before my wife finds it.... :D

(The guys at the Lincoln dealership never quite figured out what that big module was for. I tended to turn the DRL off there :) .)

Regards,
My new Grand Cherokee solves a lot of those problems. You can program it for the DRL's to operate or not, the headlights (and brights if you want) will operate automatically when it gets dark and the lights can be programmed to turn on automatically with the wipers (which can also work automatically if you want). The potential problem is that there is so much circuitry and computer stuff in the vehicle that something is bound to go wrong sometime.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mike:

Becka's got a 2013 Grand Cherokee. Neither of us has had time to really dig through the manual for that stuff.

I don't know that I'd buy a Chrysler (Fiat nowadays), but I like the car.

However, I agree with you - Lord knows what will break after a while. Becka had a '98 Taurus that was in a flood. You may have seen those news clips with cars floating around in front of a Best Buy. Not there, but same storm. The Insurance folks insisted on spending about $3,000 to put a new engine in it. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to swap it out at the time, but I ended up putting nearly $3,000 into it to keep it running. Computer under the seat, for example.... She got a slightly newer Explorer, which really only suffered from old age (120,000 miles didn't help), but at some point she had the money and bought the Jeep.

Truth is that it's probably impossible to buy a "real" car (like my '99 Town Car) today without getting enough electronics to make a PC jealous. When I bought the '99 in late 2000, I started telling people that I felt like Christopher Columbus. Every time I drove the thing, I discovered something new.... (Like if you press the radio's volume control button just right, it will remember the volume setting for a while, and if you speed up, increase the level so you can still hear the radio....)

I'm finding similar craziness in the Caddy, btw. You can read some of the OBC codes with a dance on some of the dashboard buttons. (I couldn't make that tell me anything.) It also monitors all kinds of things digitally with it's "Information" button.

Sherri has no idea how to work much of this.... Becka didn't get the Automatic Climate Control, if there is one on the list, which makes me a little nuts if I drive it. I think that the light system can be set up as you described - "automatic" on/off, anyway. Becka's in Columbus, so I don't get to see it much. I thought I was going to "inherit" that car when she moved back to Youngstown in preparation for a job in NYC, but that didn't happen. (I wish I could have talked her into bringing her Explorer back here and buying the new Jeep in Y-Town so I could take the Explorer, but that didn't happen. Really didn't care about the mileage - I barely go anywhere - but the guys at the Club have been pestering me to ditch the Lincoln for a dualie :D. Figured that would have worked....)

I think I mentioned that mom (the Caddy was hers) went out one morning some years back, and the dash display said something like "FIX ME NOW OR YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!" (Well, that's what it sounded like to her :D.) She had it towed 20 miles or so to the dealership, where it tuned out to be a bad battery. Sometimes computers are evil :mrgreen: ....

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Scoutmaster

Post by Scoutmaster »

MR D wrote:I moved away from that town - I will be back in a couple of weeks to see some of my many "Dear friends". We always found the folks to be warm and friendly. YMMV depends where you hang out I suppose,,,
I wondered where you had gotten off too. I have not seen or talked to you since the Party In The Park. Three years ago now? How long have you been out of state?
I would personally love to spend another 30 replies educating you about the racist history of gun control, what an assault weapon is, the finer points of the law, or the varying lethality of different weapons. But I doubt you're interested. For some reason the statist side of this argument seems to think ignorance is strength. RookCastle
Each positive interaction helps to create a new normal. Tweed Ring
Cause of death: terminal failure of the victim selection process. Bobk
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

One night when coming home from work, I had a headlight out. It was on when I got to work and out when I left. I was pulled over by cop 1 (local cop). He gave me an equipment warning and I left. About 10 minutes later, cop 2 (OSP) pulled me over. Told him about previous stop and showed him the equipment warning. He apologized and I left. 5 minutes from home, I get pulled over by cop 3 (different department). By this time I am {inappropriate language}. I showed him the warning and he asked why it was it fixed yet. It was 4:00 AM. Where did he think I was going to get a bulb? He called for "assistance." I had worked 16 hours and my patience was razor thin. Second cop showed up and I explained what was going on. He apologized and sent me on my way. Cops will be cops.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Buckeyedoc:

Fortunately, you weren't cited - get the wrong LEO and.... Most of them consider minor equipment violations as nearly nonsense, and will settle for a warning rather than the Court time that could result if you decide to fight back.

Glad you got it home without a cite!

You may indeed be able to find bulbs at 0400, but not easily in some cases, and it might be a ways out of your way to go there, and possibly quite a bit more expensive than "9-5" sources. Seems like an OSP Inspection "fix it" order gave you three days, too, but it's been decades since I've seen one. About 1968, I'd just bought a new used car, and got snagged. Nothing I knew about, so wth.... Trooper found out that the license plate light was dead.

NBD - just get it fixed, and have a mechanic sign off on the form and mail it in. However, in those days the bulb was less than a dollar, and who knows what the mechanic would charge.... I lucked out - my mechanic didn't mind signing the paper as long as I did the work :D....

Very much more recently - last April - the wife was on the way home from a coffee-klatch with some girlfriends, and a Township PD guy noticed that he couldn't read the date sticker on the rear plate. He ran the plate, and it came back to a 96 year old woman who's driver's license was expired. He followed her home (the wife's driving isn't all that great, but well within the law), and when she pulled into the driveway, he lit her up. Sherri came inside - "There's an Officer outside who wants to talk to you!" My immediate reaction was "now what did she do?" :D That's about where the Officer realized that Sherri's nowhere near 96. We explained to him that we'd inherited the car from my mom (passed in February 2012), and indeed she didn't have a driver's license by then. I removed the "frame" from over top of the sticker, and we all had a good laugh.

(Having that sticker obscured is also an equipment violation of some sort.)

Coming off a shift, you really don't want to think about stopping someplace for a bulb, too, let alone actually changing one.... My '84 Crown Vic had standard old-fashioned round headlight bulbs - the smaller style 'cause it was quads, but you had to take the grille off to change one. Minor PITA if you had a power screwdriver, but not fun in the Auto Zone parking lot at 0430 when it's 20 degrees out there :mrgreen: ....

(No, I didn't.... I brought home the wrong bulb, too, and drove the thing without the grille for a week or so until I could get a chance to get the right bulb.)

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I was driving home from Florida late one night in Alabama several years ago when the kids were little and I got lit up for a burnt out headlight I didn't realize I had.
The cop told me about a Walmart a mile down the road that sold them and he also said he would be waiting on the other side of it for me
Needless to say I fixed it in the parking lot, and sure enough, we passed the cop on our way out of town
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Chuck wrote:I was driving home from Florida late one night in Alabama several years ago when the kids were little and I got lit up for a burnt out headlight I didn't realize I had.
The cop told me about a Walmart a mile down the road that sold them and he also said he would be waiting on the other side of it for me
Needless to say I fixed it in the parking lot, and sure enough, we passed the cop on our way out of town
That would be a problem on my new Grand Cherokee with the bi-xenon headlamps. They are not deemed user serviceable.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand