Poor Judgment all the way around

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Poor Judgment all the way around

Post by catfish86 »

Vex wrote:
BlueMR2 wrote:Looked fine to me. If it takes shooting at her and her van full of kids to potentially keep her from fleeing and killing somebody else and their van full of kids in a head-on collision, I'm all for it.
The problem is she hadn't placed anyone else in danger of severe bodily injury or death up to that point, and even when she was trying to get away she did not use the vehicle as a weapon. We (LEOs, CHL'ers, LACs, etc.) respond to deadly force with deadly force, and we don't get to use facts known after the incident to justify prior use of force.

Even in cases where the vehicle is used as a weapon, we shoot to stop the threat, which is the driver of the vehicle, not the vehicle itself. Similarly, if someone has a handgun pointed at you, you wouldn't shoot at their gun, you would shoot the person with the ability to pull the trigger.

Just like shooting a gun out of someone's hands belongs in the movies, so does shooting out the tires of a fleeing vehicle*.

*Except in extremely rare or unique situations.
Vex,

This is probably the best post of the thread in summing this situation up regarding the LEO firing the handgun. I go back also to why the backup responding vehicle, knowing this is a flee risk (at that point, she had pulled off once, although still no threat to injure anyone) did not pull in front of vehicle, bumper to bumper, removing the option to pull off again. This video is a news report and excerpted, but I believe the officer shooting is the same officer that failed to block the vehicle in. Not to cross threads but this was a similar mistake with the woman pulling a car up to the White House gates. Everyone focuses on the use of the gun (which IMHO is unjustified as Vex pointed out), but there are a number of techniques that the officers involved failed to use that could have lessened the impact of the woman's inexcusable actions. Vex, I would love your critique on this as to what could have been done at what point. I am asking you to Monday morning QB I know but that is the best way to learn sometimes.

Woman and son should find themselves in jail cells, no question, no excuse. Thousands of people get tickets every day. Some even BS. Almost none of them find it necessary to do what she did. One of the parts of LEO's job is to deal with these circumstances. It's why we require training before putting on a badge. These are not local cops of Mayberry variety, these are state troopers. While we should give some latitude to LEO having to deal with unruly and sometimes you gotta break some eggs to get control (ie sometimes a black eye and bloody nose are what you get as a suspect who resists) that has its limits and the shooting clearly passed those limits.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Give em' Hell Pike!!!
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The officer wasn't charged with a crime, which is another debate. But I do think his being fired is justified. Probably a balanced approach. Had the officer actually shot one of the kids in the vehicle, he might have faced charges but fortunately, we'll never know that. His mistakes were twofold, like I said, first mistake is not blocking the vehicle. That set up his second lapse in judgment which was to fire at the vehicle.

And the mother and son will still face charges, as well they should.
God,

Gun control is racist.
bsctov

Post by bsctov »

Everything in that video appears justified on the part of those officers, however, the one who opened fire on the van raises a few questions, but I don't think his actions rise to the level of criminal/disciplinary action. The officer who allowed the kid in the purple shirt to go back into the van should maybe get spoken to about Taser use, he should have zapped the mother and the one that was wearing purple when he tried to hop inside the van and when he tried to charge him near the driver side door.

If anything, the mother should be charged with felony child endangerment for the actions of the officer that fired the shots. If you have a van full of kids, they are your responsibility, and I can't come up with something less responsible off the top of my head then purposefully getting into a scuffle with the police while you have a van full of kids, surrounded by LEO's that don't know what you're capable of.

IMHO
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/m ... -1.1526808

That is an article where the biological mother (apparently she did give birth to them, her actions after that are questionable) tries to explain herself. Now, in this age of video, it becomes so apparent how reliable :roll: eyewitness testimony really is. Take the Canton PD with Officer Harless/Diels. I sat in the trial and listen to Diels contradict much of what was plainly visible from the dashcam and sounded credible in doing it.

Then you have this woman claiming she was "protecting her children...from such a terrifying individual". This was in a written statement from jail. Bsctov, just saying she is in jail and is being charged for her actions.

I suspect no small part of the officer who fired shots being terminated from employment has to do with the fact he was called as backup to a vehicle that has already fled once and is in an altercation with the original officer, comes upon the scene and FAILS to pull his vehicle to the front bumper in a blocking position. Your LEO 101 teacher is calling. For example, a drunk was cornered in front of my house by pinning his vehicle against my fence with two police cruisers. Excellent work. Same mistake a few weeks ago by the DC police when a nutcase woman pulled up to the White House to see Obama and tried to force a gate. LEO car pulls up off street but not blocking her in. She backs up and flees causing panic throughout the capital and shots being fired (also with her child in the car).

Everybody focuses on the choice to fire the gun because it is the sexier question, but part of exercising authority and leadership are the boring details you take care of (ie for coaches, learning your player's names and engaging each one, planning the workouts to address game situations) prior to the season starting because those set the stage for the game. Now the officer who originally pulled her over will be probably be getting a critique over what could have been done better.

Again, biological mother and 14 yo son should and will be doing jail time because at the end of the day, she should have just signed for the ticket and went on her way. As I told a police officer giving me a ticket while carrying and mentioning the firearm. He told me just don't touch it and we'll all be fine, I told him your right, its a $100 ticket, no reason everybody should't make it home tonight. He chuckled and said it would be nice if everybody saw it that way.
God,

Gun control is racist.
andyr70

Post by andyr70 »

I haven't watched the video since it first came out. I don't think anyone touched on the vehicle placement of the second officer. The only thing I can think of is he was thinking about cross fire and didn't want to get shot as he was getting out of his vehicle.