Sharonville City Cop

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cincydave

Sharonville City Cop

Post by cincydave »

Got pulled over for having my registration expired. Handed the officer my license and CHL, never mentioned the fact that I was armed (my gun was in the glove compartment, unlocked). He never mentioned a thing about guns or permits or asked me if I was armed. I know the law says blah blah blah. But I feel I did my part by handing him my license. Nothing said, no surprises. Did I violate the letter of the law? Yes (no worse than having my glove compartment unlocked). Did I put the officer at ease by handing him my license? Yes. If he was interested, he would ask (my logic). Comments? Flames?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Dave, most of us here would tend to err to the side of prudence, caution, whatever you want to call it.

There is a story from the indoor range in Sharonville that would indicate the town has at least one officer who got somewhat, um, edgy, at the report of an unconcealed firearm being carried by a range/store employee while at one of the restaurants in town.

No one was killed, arrested, no gun was confiscated, etc., but suffice to say that having an extraordinarily PLEASANT, cooperative demeanor during encounters between LEOs and legally armed citizens would be a good idea.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

I actually know a guy that just handed his license to a police officer without telling the policeman he was armed; he lost his CCW license for not stating to the policeman he was armed, thinking handing the license was enough. I would say it depends on what the person stopping you wants to do about it.
Curt M
cincydave

Who wouldn't

Post by cincydave »

Good thought. Who wouldn't have a pleasant demeanor when dealing with police officers? Actually, I was smiling and laughing because it was the second year in a row that a Sharonville cop got me for late registration of my vehicle. Apparently when I moved, the BMV forgot to update my mailing address, so I didn't receive my notice in the mail that my renewal was due. Hopefully people who are CHL carriers understand "setting at ease" doesn't just involve bodily surrender by having your hands on the wheel. My goal is to make the officer as comfortable as possible, and my attitude has everything to do with it.
cincydave

Who was that?

Post by cincydave »

CurtInOhio wrote:I actually know a guy that just handed his license to a police officer without telling the policeman he was armed; he lost his CCW license for not stating to the policeman he was armed, thinking handing the license was enough. I would say it depends on what the person stopping you wants to do about it.
I've never heard of this. Are there other cases of these types of technicalities leading to CCW revocation?
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

CurtInOhio wrote:I actually know a guy that just handed his license to a police officer without telling the policeman he was armed; he lost his CCW license for not stating to the policeman he was armed, thinking handing the license was enough. I would say it depends on what the person stopping you wants to do about it.
Do you really know this person or is this just something you heard? The reason I ask is because I have not heard this story anywhere else and losing your license because you handed your CHL to an officer but did not verbalize your carry status seems to be a big deal and a rather extreme punishment. Can you give us more details? I find it hard to believe that someone could lose their license on such a minor technicality. Is there more to the story? Why was he stopped? If this really is true then he should have contacted the OFCC for some help and gotten a lawyer to help him get it back.
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

He works for a friend of mine... I can find out more information. With that said, there could have been more to it, especially attitude, but my point was that I just wouldn't take the chance, when it's so easy to just speak up and say something. When he told me about it, he seemed very surprised that it happened, as he thought promptly handing the license over complied with the intent of the law.
Curt M
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

CurtInOhio wrote:He works for a friend of mine... I can find out more information. With that said, there could have been more to it, especially attitude, but my point was that I just wouldn't take the chance, when it's so easy to just speak up and say something. When he told me about it, he seemed very surprised that it happened, as he thought promptly handing the license over complied with the intent of the law.
I would be interested in some more details. If he wasn't really doing anything wrong at the time then he must have been just about the unluckiest person in Ohio. I would think that it would take a couple of power crazy people in charge really not liking you or CCW to take away your license over just that.

If I was this guy I would be fighting this in court.
Concealed and Confused

Post by Concealed and Confused »

Brian_Horton wrote:
CurtInOhio wrote:He works for a friend of mine... I can find out more information. With that said, there could have been more to it, especially attitude, but my point was that I just wouldn't take the chance, when it's so easy to just speak up and say something. When he told me about it, he seemed very surprised that it happened, as he thought promptly handing the license over complied with the intent of the law.
I would be interested in some more details. If he wasn't really doing anything wrong at the time then he must have been just about the unluckiest person in Ohio. I would think that it would take a couple of power crazy people in charge really not liking you or CCW to take away your license over just that.

If I was this guy I would be fighting this in court.
The most I have heard and read about this is. People have had their guns taken , given tickets for court. At court, their guns have been returned and no fines were given out because of it. Of course as long as that was the only problem, your carry ( for what ever reason they didnt like). And in most cases, as long as you are at least trying to comply. You will more then likely have nothing happen or , get your gun back with or without a fine or a slap on the wrist.
Good or Bad, Thank you !
speedy

Post by speedy »

well the law does state that you must inform the leo that you are carrying so you broke the law when you didnt tell him