Carry it always!

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mattswabb

Carry it always!

Post by mattswabb »

I was just in the middle of a shooting and didn’t even realize it.

A little background: I live in a crack-infested neighborhood and my neighbor runs a crack house that the police have yet to shut down. So today I went out for a bike ride and that is the only time I don’t carry. As I was approaching my house there was the gang of juvenile dealers walking down the street and a few cars on the street. I live on a somewhat busy street. As I went by them I heard a loud bang and they all ran in different directions. I assumed it was a large firecracker or something. I then went inside my house and a few minutes later the street was filled with police. Asked one what happened and they said it was a drive by and they caught the shooter and recovered the gun, turns out the shooter was hiding then shot and ran to a car and fled. The victim/dealer was taken to the hospital alive, shot in the leg. I don’t know who the shooter or victim was so I’ll be waiting for the paper in the morning to hear about it or maybe find out some info tonight. So the shooting happened within 100 ft of me and I didn’t even realize what had gone down.

I’m glad this happened. Now I hope it will bring even more attention to what is happening in my area.

I think I will be looking for a small pocket gun to carry when I ride.

matt
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Getcha a J-Frame .38 (or .357) with a Barami Hip-Grip. It is small, light, easy to conceal, easy to reach, and packs enough wallop for two generations of TV detectives.

I'm currently fooling with a Kel-Tec 3AT .380 acp. It's a cute, itty bitty, little thing, but I don't as yet have the confidence that it's gonna go bang everytime I pull the trigger. Smith & Wesson delivers that confidence....
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

tommcnaughton wrote:I'm currently fooling with a Kel-Tec 3AT .380 acp. It's a cute, itty bitty, little thing, but I don't as yet have the confidence that it's gonna go bang everytime I pull the trigger.
I have its older "little brother" the P-32. With reputable ammo, I have no qualms whatsoever. I've run several hundred rounds through it and only had one malfunction - that was with some cheap range ammo (Georgia Arms reloads, IIRC) that resulted in a failure to extract. (There's also a somewhat funny, albeit embarrassing story that goes with that I might share sometime...)
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Scott

KelTec

Post by Scott »

I used to carry a Tokarev in 9mm in my fanny pack when I rode my bike, but carry the Keltec .380 now. Tha Keltec does go boom everytime (with good ammo--the steelcased stuff is not 100% yet), now that its gotten broken in.
It's easy to carry, easier to get out of the pack, and its POLYMER--should hold up better in the sweaty rides of summer. Also, I can carry it with one in the pipe--the Tok I would only carry in condition 3. I'd rather have the greater punch of the 9, but if I had my druthers, I'd carry a super compact .45ACP!

Still not a bad idea to carry a ziplock™ baggy with you in case it gets rainy on your ride...
Blip!
JJones

Post by JJones »

tommcnaughton wrote:Getcha a J-Frame .38 (or .357) with a Barami Hip-Grip. It is small, light, easy to conceal, easy to reach, and packs enough wallop for two generations of TV detectives.

I'm currently fooling with a Kel-Tec 3AT .380 acp. It's a cute, itty bitty, little thing, but I don't as yet have the confidence that it's gonna go bang everytime I pull the trigger. Smith & Wesson delivers that confidence....
I have a J-frame. It is heavier than my Glock 23. it is not much smaller. And the glock is much easier to shoot. Add to that you have 14 rounds of .40 sw vs. 5-7 rounds of .38.

AS to the P3-AT I have only had an issue when shooting wolf ammo through it. it has no problems with Federal and CCI Blazers.

Jacques.
JJones

Re: KelTec

Post by JJones »

Scott wrote:I used to carry a Tokarev in 9mm in my fanny pack when I rode my bike, but carry the Keltec .380 now. Tha Keltec does go boom everytime (with good ammo--the steelcased stuff is not 100% yet), now that its gotten broken in.
It's easy to carry, easier to get out of the pack, and its POLYMER--should hold up better in the sweaty rides of summer. Also, I can carry it with one in the pipe--the Tok I would only carry in condition 3. I'd rather have the greater punch of the 9, but if I had my druthers, I'd carry a super compact .45ACP!

Still not a bad idea to carry a ziplock™ baggy with you in case it gets rainy on your ride...
BE Careful of rust with the Kel-tec. I would recommend getting the slide Hard cromed, Kel-tec will do it for $20 if you send the slide to them.
bullet

Post by bullet »

JJones wrote:BE Careful of rust with the Kel-tec. I would recommend getting the slide Hard cromed, Kel-tec will do it for $20 if you send the slide to them.

Sorry for my ignorance, but can they do this with a blued slide? Who would I contact about this??

Brian_Horton: edited to correct quote format
Harlie

Post by Harlie »

Considering the discription of the neighborhood that you say you live in, why in the world, would you not be armed? Day, night and carry what ever you would consider adequete to protect against your neighbors and more so, against the "buyers" who may frequent the "House". They have no reason to regard you as other than a source of money, where your "neighbors" may be unwilling to upset status quo. May this be a wake up for most every one who resides here, carry 24/7, you won't have a choice about when, where or who.
Keep a keen mind, eye and edge.
INFIDEL, armed, angry and unapolegetic
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
Politicians & diapers should be changed often, both for the same reason
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Plus remember that all the houses look the same when you are strung out. At a previous address the drunk next door came to our house twice. He was harmless, but you would think a suprised fall off of my porch would have taught him the first time
H_MaN

Post by H_MaN »

BE Careful of rust with the Kel-tec. I would recommend getting the slide Hard cromed, Kel-tec will do it for $20 if you send the slide to them.[/quote]

Kel-Tec has discontinued the Hard Chrome slide exchange.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

JEaton wrote:Plus remember that all the houses look the same when you are strung out. At a previous address the drunk next door came to our house twice. He was harmless, but you would think a suprised fall off of my porch would have taught him the first time
Front door of a Fraternity House.... Parents knocking on door making surprise visit.

Somebody sticks their head (& such) out of an upstairs window.

"Does John Smith live here?"

"Yeah - just leave him there and we'll collect him later...."

Nice neighborhood here, more or less - the night we moved in, the Township PD chased a burglar from a house a few blocks away, and caught him down the block.... But at least our neighborhood drunk had to switch to near-beer because of medical issues.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Scott

Post by Scott »

H_MaN wrote:BE Careful of rust with the Kel-tec. I would recommend getting the slide Hard cromed, Kel-tec will do it for $20 if you send the slide to them.
Kel-Tec has discontinued the Hard Chrome slide exchange.
Durn! I just found this string...too bad about KT not doing the hard chrome thingy anymore. To be honest, I haven't had any trouble with corrosion in the KelTec to date--just "wooly buggers*" accumulating behind the hammer. :)

*pocket lint, to be precise
Blip!
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Scott wrote:--just "wooly buggers*" accumulating behind the hammer.
Same here. I made a point of not cleaning them out last time at the range - didn't seem to affect function at all.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.