Stark county sheriff stops me on my Harley

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian:

I think you're correct, but I'd be a little surprised if OSP would hire one that young.

There are some guys on Canfield OH, and one with Poland (dunno if it's the Village or the Township) who appear to be under 21, but it's hard to say....

I'm way past the "mid-life" crisis thing, but I'm now starting to notice how young some of the politicians are. What happened to the ones who made Strom Thurmond look young?

BTW, instead of a 'Vette, my mid-life crisis car was a Lincoln Town Car. That's got to mean something. I hope I don't find out what.... :D

A buddy of mine (then single again) bought a Nissan 400ZX in that time frame. While I was looking for a car, he suggested I bring his home and tell the wife I'd bought it. I declined (those things were something like $40,000 then), but I did tell my wife. She said "what do we do for a family car then?" "And what's your Taurus?".... :mrgreen:

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

SMMAssociates wrote: Brian, I think you're correct, but I'd be a little surprised if OSP would hire one that young.
I don't know. Last November I was stopped by a trooper on I-675. I could swear to you this guy didn't look old enough to drive and I was only 23 at the time and he still looked really young to me. Nice kid though, he was very courteous and let me off with a warning.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian:

I've got guns older than you are....

I suppose that OSP guy could have been a lot younger, but I think it's just the way people are.

Neighbor kid is 18 or 19. If I didn't tell you that, you'd pick 12....

I had a girl working for me years ago who was about 25 at the time. She bought "play" clothes in the "little boys" department at places like Kaufmann's, and bumped into an aunt in a store one day who wanted to know where she was going to High School.

I don't look 59, either.... (However, one of the reasons I quit shaving was because in the AM, I would look in the mirror and wonder which one of us was me.)

When I did the CHL course last year, I brought my 4" M10HB. Of the three instructors, it was older than two of them.

I forget who said it, but you're not "old" until the Cop on the beat looks like your grandson. I have a ways to go before I'm a grandpa, but if I'd had kids when I was in my mid-20's, that would definitely be true. I'm 39.5 years older than my daughter....

(We used to have a kid checking into the old CompuServe POLICE forum who had to be all but beaten into admitting he was about 24. All kinds of diaper rash jokes followed. OTOH, he'd pull up to a pay phone driving his department's black & white and hook up a modem to check his mail. Some sort of sense there, maybe. He swore he would never get married, though, but the last time I heard from him, that was on his list for "next week.")

You're only as old as you feel. If this fool dog doesn't calm down, one of us may not get a lot older :twisted: . He's ten months. They tell me he'll calm down in ten or twelve years. My daughter gave him to us. I think she wants her inheritance early....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Stu wrote:You're only as old as you feel.
I dunno, with this weather front coming through, my schrapnel is acting up -- I just popped a coupla oxycontin -- I feel like I'm at least a hundred...
I think I'd better just stick to calendar years until the weather clears up.
Stu wrote:If this fool dog doesn't calm down, one of us may not get a lot older :twisted: . He's ten months. They tell me he'll calm down in ten or twelve years. My daughter gave him to us. I think she wants her inheritance early....
Be nice to your children -- they're the ones who will select your nursing home...

And, yeah, I've got several guns that are older than Brian, too. It is an encouragement to me that there are young guys like him picking up the responsibility to make a stand for our constitutional rights.

I was a young man many years ago. Now I have a son in Iraq, a tanker with the 3ID, doing today what I did so many years ago. With young guys like him, and Brian, and some of the soldiers that post here, slowly it is beginning to dawn on me that there is a new crop of men, looking to take their place on the thin line that stands between freedom and tyranny.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Tom:
Be nice to your children -- they're the ones who will select your nursing home...
Fortunately, my wife works for a nursing home, but I think she and Becka have something planned involving Medical experiments....
And, yeah, I've got several guns that are older than Brian, too. It is an encouragement to me that there are young guys like him picking up the responsibility to make a stand for our constitutional rights.
It really is great to see young kids out there not doing all the things we wanted to do in 1968.... (I couldn't - the Police Chief would not have been amused. Nor the Sheriff.)

I have a young friend who's sort of an unregenerate Hippie. It bugs her that during that era I was a Cop.... Really funny, too, in that she wasn't born yet. She's still a flaming liberal by any definition, but at least has learned about responsibility. If she had a couple of kids, she'd probably vote Republican....

It's a bit of a surprise, I think, to realize that there are new men and women carrying on the fight. We may not be any older, but apparently they've acquired some responsibility. Amazing....

(I've seen the same guy in the mirror every morning for decades. Not finding my trifocals does help....)

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
blb

Post by blb »

Brian_Horton wrote:Actually I believe that law enforcement officers can be as young as 18. Ohio and federal law waives the under 21 restriction on pruchasing handguns if the person is an LEO. Each police or sheriff's office probably has their own minimum age requirement. I bet most of them require being 21, but it would not surprise me if moer rural areas allowed officers to be under 21.
Accoring to OPOTA (ohio peace officer training academy), individuals under the age of 21 at the time of graduation will have limited employment opportunities (dispatcher, etc)

According to the ATF:
Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?
Yes. Longguns and longgun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some state and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA/ATF. If state law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement. [18 U. S. C. 922( b)( 1), 27 CFR 178.99( b)]

As a FFL, I have never heard of the exemption for a LEO under 21. According to the GCA (gun control act), I have to abide by the 21 year age restriction - or higher if state law dictates such. If you can find proof otherwise, please let me know. I can skip a 4473 with a letter from a law enforcement agency, but that does not specify any exemption to the age requirement for a dealer sale. [27 CFR 178.134]

Now, there is a "private sale" exemption for people under 21 allowed to posess a handgun, as long as they have a written permission slip from their parents. I can also employ someone under 21 to handle the handguns, without a slip, or under 18 as long as there is a permission slip.[18 U. S. C. 922( x)]
jburtonpdx

Post by jburtonpdx »

Now, there is a "private sale" exemption for people under 21 allowed to posess a handgun, as long as they have a written permission slip from their parents.
Heh, imagine the deputy would have to get his mom to write a permision slip in order to go on patrol.... (if under 21 of course)
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Learn to fight and practice what you learn.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

I can see the note now:

"Please excuse Deputy Dog from patrol today. He has the sniffles.

Mother Dog"

:D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

TunnelRat wrote

I was a young man many years ago. Now I have a son in Iraq, a tanker with the 3ID, doing today what I did so many years ago. With young guys like him, and Brian, and some of the soldiers that post here, slowly it is beginning to dawn on me that there is a new crop of men, looking to take their place on the thin line that stands between freedom and tyranny.

there may be a new crop of us here...but we are following on the eample that has been before us......people like yourselves....

my father an old 101st guy, now retired OSP, got to see me with my combat patch from Iraq to match his Unit patch from years ago, I now wear the Screaming Eagle on my right, and although I am authorized to wear 5 different ones, this is the only one I will wear in respect to him and those before him

unfortunately there is a generation here and now that was raised differently, even than mine, I was raised with guns, taught to respect them, killed my first deer at age 10, my granfather was a police officer and I guess I was supposed to be, but my younger sister took that up, I instead went to college after the military and stayed in the National Guard, got home from recent deployment to find that my rights in Columbus are being stepped all over

but enough about me......there are alot of kids and by kids I mean mid 20 somethings that have never been exposed to weapons just due to how people are being raised now....more technical jobs....less orientation in the country....my gunner from Iraq is a perfect example...comes from teh Rittman area of Ohio, 23 years young...never been hunting....well now exept for Hadji hunting he has that under his belt....had to teach him everything he knows about his .50 Cal, his M249, his M16....which I thought they still taught in Basic Training, boy was I wrong there...but now he is a tried and true trigger man...recently joined the NRA since coming home...and is interested in getting into shooting sports....before our deployemnt he never owned or carried a gun

unlike myself...I have quite a collection...have always been a shooter, and always will...and yes I brought all my boys home...
(and gals, we had some of those too)

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Happened to be in the camera shop the other day, checking out a 30-year-old SLR my sister gave my daughter (this is a very long story so I won't add to it now).

There was a Boardman PD gal in there who appeared to be about 14. Armed, full uniform, etc. She handles "CSI" stuff, apparently, or had managed to grab the Explorer they marked for that to come over.

I'm going to stop counting birthdays RSN....

(The camera shop folks hire young kids - guess they work cheap. This gal looked younger than the counterkid showing her a camera.)

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
GWC

Post by GWC »

I have a Colt that's older than all of you. Or should I say "all y'all".