Mason, Ohio

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CableGuy

Mason, Ohio

Post by CableGuy »

This happend earlier this year but since this is a new forum I thought it be ok to repost it.... And it was picked up by a gun web blogger too which I thought was cool.... If everyone is ok with repost....here goes.
\
\
Originally Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 @ 07:29 PM by Fireman Joe the Cableguy

Ok so I got my turn with the law the other day, and found a very knowledgeable and friendly and extremely nice Police Officer in the city of Mason, Ohio. Ok before you go make assumptions, I was not pulled over for anything, nor was I speeding or doing anything wrong!!!! Last Night I had turned south onto Mason Montgomery Rd an suddenly got a bad nasal hemorrhage (Nose Bleed). So I pulled over in front of the cemetery there, and was taking care of it, just about to leave when the police car pulled up to check on me, I was hanging partly side ways out the door spitting blood as he approached asked if I was alright, he could see I was having a little bleeding wanted to know if I needed medical, I was keeping my hands in plain sight all this time figuring he might have run the plate faster than he could have, he was out of the car to check on me quickly and obviously you could tell I was having a issue. His partner had approached the passenger side as normal, he then asked if I had ID I said yes and that I am a permit holder and am armed he said ok no problem he hollered over to the other side to his partner saying hey its ok he Id’d himself as a cch permit holder, then asked for my drivers license and permit, I told him it where it was, and that its next to the weapon, told him I’d reach to release the belt, weapon was next to that pocket he said fine , got my ID's handed them to him, then he asked me to put my weapon in the glove box. He took them to the cruiser and I reckon ran my Id, came back up advised / asked me next time to that I need to id myself as a permit holder faster, his partner had in less than the first 20 seconds been along side saw my gun on my hip an had drawn ready. All in all he was very professional and courteous at 1130 at night. We discussed, that As soon as he asked for ID I said hey I’m a permit holder an I am armed. He still wanted me to get doctor help, I assured him I get these from time to time, allergies an such I suffer from all the time. I noticed he was filling out some paperwork, while he ran my ID are they keeping logs of contacts with chl’s ? Hats off to Mason very professional and non rambo attitude.

:D
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

log

Post by Daniel »

Many officers keep a personal log of their stops for future reference. That may have been what he was writing.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
MDB

Post by MDB »

I really don't like the part about the backup officer drawing down on you. It is no secret that there is a concealed carry law in this state that requires us to carry in plain view when in a motor vehicle. An officer has no business drawing a firearm on a citizen within only 20 seconds. All the more so since it was evident that you were having some sort of medical problem. If you were a bad guy, you'd have your weapon concealed.

If I wuz you, I'd consult a lawyer and consider pursuing action against that police department.
You apparently have never been in law enforcement. These officers did everything right. The backup officers job is to protect his partner. That is exactly what he did. When he found no threat he relaxed his guard. I applaud their professional actions.

Edited to fix formatting - Cable
Concealed and Confused

Post by Concealed and Confused »

MDB wrote:
I really don't like the part about the backup officer drawing down on you. It is no secret that there is a concealed carry law in this state that requires us to carry in plain view when in a motor vehicle. An officer has no business drawing a firearm on a citizen within only 20 seconds. All the more so since it was evident that you were having some sort of medical problem. If you were a bad guy, you'd have your weapon concealed.

If I wuz you, I'd consult a lawyer and consider pursuing action against that police department.
You apparently have never been in law enforcement. These officers did everything right. The backup officers job is to protect his partner. That is exactly what he did. When he found no threat he relaxed his guard. I applaud their professional actions.
All I wanted to say is. If this officer did not get there fast to check things out, sees the gun (yours) and DON'T draw his to protect his partner ! Who in the world would work with him, I wouldnt ! And I am not even an officer.And, would we want somebody that layed back as one of our officers ? Not me ! He was right as he could be to do just what he did, he didn't FREAK OUT and, very well could have!

Edited to fix formatting - Brian_Horton
Good or Bad, Thank you !
CableGuy

wasnt worried

Post by CableGuy »

Guys i wasnt worrried.... If anything I should have said something before he got close..but he hadn't asked me for ID....and it wasnt a stop i was stopped...now I don't blame him he was cautious. it was almost midnight I drive a typical pick up with ladder rackon it look like a typical construction worker.... he had every right and I would have approached me the same way..... I'm am very grateful, for their concern by stopping to check on me, there professional demeanor, and yes they do have to log stops of armed citizens. I thouroughly enjoyed the experience, put my faith Back in that dept. No worries no sweat no big deal... since then I have had another police encounter that was hysterical... the cop walked away laughin his butt off as did I....was a stat patrol too i think..
I'll post it...