Stark county license

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pfc1966

Stark county license

Post by pfc1966 »

I applied for my ccw in stark county for 2 reasons. First, from what i have seen and heard sheriff wellington is extreme anti-gun (so why give in any more money), second his turn around time is about the worst in ohio. I went to stark ( about a 40 min drive) and was processed in a very fast (first trip-less than 10 min. from the time i left my truck to the time i got back in it) time also no apointment was needed for the application. it took 2 weeks for the permit to be approved and for deputy catone to call me to come in. I failed to make an appointment for the picture taking process, but she took me anyway and i was on my way super fast. Hats off to stark county.
Smith&Wesson_fan
User Requested Deactivation

Post by Smith&Wesson_fan »

What county do you live in?

I got mine from Champaign County because they required no appointments, took the picture for you, and turned the application around in three business days.

Complete opposite to Miami County, which takes as long as possible and makes you get an appointment.
JimboTKirk

Post by JimboTKirk »

Think this needs to be in the longe area, but as far as a CHL permit I got mine through the Montgomery County Sheriffs office. To my suprise very fast polite the female deputy was very witty and nice, mine took me two weeks from drop off to pick up. That brings me to another point, I have three other permits, Fla, New Hampshire, Penn. and they all expire at different times so I'm covered as far as is my Ohio wree to take a while to renew.

Just give yourself a month or so to renew and you should be ok. I think the multi permits is the way to go... if you travel ... I travel alot and these make me legal everywhere I travel that Ohio permit is not valid.

The cool thing is New Hampshire is only $20.00 and the Penn. is $26.00 compared to Fla $175.00. New Hampshire & Penn. are easy as filling out form copying your Oh CHL & DL and sending it to them & wait for the mail man !
"Men like me are impossible , until the day that we become necessary"
Victor Hugo
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

The cool thing is New Hampshire is only $20.00 and the Penn. is $26.00 compared to Fla $175.00. New Hampshire & Penn. are easy as filling out form copying your Oh CHL & DL and sending it to them & wait for the mail man !
I have the trio...Ohio, Pa. and NH.

The wife and I are planning an early 2008 drive to FLA. and a "fly back" home.

I need to look up the status of the states that I'll be driving thru to get there.

Then I gotta look into the fly home situation. I've flown a gun home before in a lock box...pre 911.

I hate to think of a gun getting lost in transit though.

Any thoughts on flight transportation of a hand gun in our post 911 era?
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smith&Wesson_fan
User Requested Deactivation

Post by Smith&Wesson_fan »

Transporting guns as checked baggage in airlines now is the same process as it was pre TSA. Nothing has changed.

An Ohio CHL will get you through KY, TN, and FL. Your PA and NH licenses will get your through GA, so you are good to go there as well.
NRA UR2

Post by NRA UR2 »

I got mine in Williams County. I called ahead at 3PM on Friday and talked directly to the Sheriff. He told me that they closed at 4PM but that he would tell his administrative asistant to expect me. I arrived at 3:30, took care of business and was out of there at 3:45PM...the sweetest piece of police work I've ever wittnessed. And this was in June, 2005. Thanks, SHERIFF. By the way I picked up my license on Monday morning.
BIG SHAFE

Post by BIG SHAFE »

I just applied in Stark today, we'll see how long it takes for me.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

I should have posted my results as well. I applied in Stark County, dealt with Deputy Catone, and had an excellent experience. I had my CHL in 14 days, I was ecstatic. I live in Columbiana County, but I went to Stark for their fast turnaround time. Columbiana and Mahoning counties take their sweet time in issuing, and I was not going to jump through their hoops to get my license. Anyone who is eligible should apply through Stark County, and tell them OFCC sent ya!!
Ruger for me, please.

6 to date. with more to come!
chilie

Post by chilie »

this may be redundant but to all who have recently gone through the process make sure to check in at http://www.ccwhen.com/ and report your results to help everyone in their quest!
Yeah my life would be easier without all my hobbies; but it wouldn't be nearly as fufilling
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

pfc1966

I assume you are stating 'Randall Wellington"? That's Mahoning County.
I applied in Mahoning in 2005 and I have Never heard of Randall being anti-gun. I know him well as I am a Civil deputy and I live in Youngstown
so I would have to say that whoever told you Wellington was Anti-gun had to steer you the wrong way.
In fact he has personnaly done Quite a Few applications and There have been VERY few denials from his office unless they had some type of record.Only took two weeks for mine to come thru as well as the other 19 that were done wiith mine.

But all in all Glad to see that you had no problems and it was a quik trip well worth making.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
pfc1966

Post by pfc1966 »

Ironjokah, glad you had good luck with mahoning county, but i know a number of people who had to wait more than 45+ days and were not happy about this. I think i made the right choice by going to stark. just my.02. pat
Kedwards85

Re: Stark county license

Post by Kedwards85 »

Does anybody happen to know if I could just bring in an addressed, stamped envelope during my first ccw application and if Stark County could just mail the new license instead of me having to come back in?
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Kedwards85 wrote:Does anybody happen to know if I could just bring in an addressed, stamped envelope during my first ccw application and if Stark County could just mail the new license instead of me having to come back in?
W O W , talk'in about bring'in back to life an OLD discussion , (2007), and it's in the wrong forum too....it needs to be in the CHL Applications & Renewals Forum.

See your new here Kedwards85, so your actions will be over looked ! (just hav'in fun with ya. Hope you stick around and enjoy the forums :) )
I live in Stark co. , but go to Holmes co. for my CHL ...they take your picture and mail it back if you take a self-addressed ,stamped envelope AND their FAST unless you have something on your record that would slow'em down Wayne co. , I heard was good also. Stark at one time had an attitude problem.....or so I was told. but I think that has gone by the way side, (there's money in it).

It's always good to call the Co. Sheriff's dept. you wish to use BEFORE you go so you know what they require, instead of basing your opinion on what someone else say's as sometimes policies change......it might save ya a trip.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

First off, welcome to OFCC's forums. Next, I'm in full agreement with 3FULLMAGS+1 in his suggestion of calling the sheriff's office where you want to get the license and ask them for any details. You could check their website first, they may have very good step-by-step instructions.

Even after 12 years, the way it's done from one county to the next is like that box of chocolates Forrest Gump talked about: "You never know what you're going to get." Down here in the SW, many of us used Clermont rather than Hamilton County for years, even though that meant two long-ish drives. Hamilton County = Cincinnati, and the sheriff's office was downtown in the hardest section to get a parking spot. When HamCo got a new sheriff, he opened up a satellite office for CH licensing out in the northwest section of the county. Plenty of free parking, no traffic snarls, little chance of being aggressively panhandled compared to downtown, etc. Now, I'm told that Clermont County changed things and will now mail out your license, rather than requiring a second trip to pick it up. I wonder if they ever stopped requiring exact change when paying cash? That always struck me as very odd, like the staff couldn't be trusted with a cash drawer.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.